Possible Regal Dock In Venice

Av8tor

I've heard lots of talk about the new ship size restrictions being phased in for Venice over the next 2 years, so I know there is lots of uncertainty over exactly where specific cruise ships will dock. We're booked on Regal's maiden voyage departing on May 20th and have a few questions:

1) Is Regal too large to use the ship basin(s) and berths available on Venice island?

2) With the primary cruise terminal(s) on the island of Venice itself, are there any/what are the places on the mainland that cruise ships might use for embarkation or disembarkation (rather than just a port call)?

3) If yes on the mainland berths, are there passenger facilities at these mainland locations or must passengers be transported to the pax facilities on the island?

4) If Royal has been to Venice, where was she berthed?

5) Since it'll be Regal's maiden voyage, and she was built in Italy, will publicity and national pride make it more likely that she'll use the terminal on the island?

I know nothing is definite yet, but all insights will be appreciated...

Edited by Av8tor

Much of what you ask really requires speculation, but I will answer the one factual point (#4) which I can:

Royal Princess has been using the Stazione Marittima piers, as have most other large cruise ships.

I don't think the new proposed regulations go into effect until late in 2014, so you should be OK for the Regal inaugural.