Hand Sanitizer

L454S

Am looking for THE correct answer from someone who KNOWS to stop the bickering on these threads.

We don't hear or read a lot about other illnesses here, so NORO will be the subject. Do the hand sanitizers kill the virus?

On almost every thread, I read "how yucky, that person did not use the sanitizer". Then I read that the sanitizer does NOT kill the NORO. If it does not kill noro, is it there to make us feel better? Personally, I don't mind the hand sanitizer. I don't use one at home, but it is no skin off my nose to do so.

As to hand washing. That sounds like a great idea, and I agree with those who advocate. However, watch as someone leaves the rest room. I bet between there and the Horizon Court or MDR, that person will touch 10 different surfaces before beginning a meal. Ideally, there would be a hand washing station at the entrance to the dining venue, but that ain't gonna happen.

We can't live in a balloon. I am not going to start shaking someone's hand with a baggie on. Sorry for being long winded. Thread after thread with all the hand wringing(pun intended) and whether or not this is good or that is better. So lets get a final answer on the hand sanitizer, I would like to know.

Am looking for THE correct answer from someone who KNOWS to stop the bickering on these threads.

We don't hear or read a lot about other illnesses here, so NORO will be the subject. Do the hand sanitizers kill the virus?

On almost every thread, I read "how yucky, that person did not use the sanitizer". Then I read that the sanitizer does NOT kill the NORO. If it does not kill noro, is it there to make us feel better? Personally, I don't mind the hand sanitizer. I don't use one at home, but it is no skin off my nose to do so.

As to hand washing. That sounds like a great idea, and I agree with those who advocate. However, watch as someone leaves the rest room. I bet between there and the Horizon Court or MDR, that person will touch 10 different surfaces before beginning a meal. Ideally, there would be a hand washing station at the entrance to the dining venue, but that ain't gonna happen.

We can't live in a balloon. I am not going to start shaking someone's hand with a baggie on. Sorry for being long winded. Thread after thread with all the hand wringing(pun intended) and whether or not this is good or that is better. So lets get a final answer on the hand sanitizer, I would like to know.

Royal has wash basin when you enter the food court.

Before a recent, last year, cruise on Celebrity Constellation, which had had a "norovirus" problem on two consecutive cruises, a debate broke out on the thread about Purell and similar products. I asked local doctors and they confirmed for me that alcohol products do no work on viruses. The product recommended was one that used "benzochromium chloride" as the active ingredient. I do not know if that works any better as we , fortunately, did not encounter any problem on the cruise. We had the product and used it, in both gel and wipe form. Again, for what its worth.

Ideally, there would be a hand washing station at the entrance to the dining venue, but that ain't gonna happen.

I would point out it depends upon which ship you are on and where you eat. We often have traditional dining and get stuck in the out-of-the-way dining room on Deck 6 in the back of the ship. As inconvenient as it is to get to dinner, they do have restrooms right inside the main entrance -- and we usually stop each night to wash our hands before dinner. Hardly anybody else does that so there is rarely a line.

The short answer. Most commercially available hand sanitizers do NOT work against Noro. That doesn't mean they are useless, because they do help against other things like e-coli, influenza, etc. (see the CDC article referenced above). The ones in the Buffet do meet the EU standards for noro but just barely, assuming they are using the same medical grade ones someone photographed.

Even with medical grade:

(From NYT: "The facilities where staff members used alcohol-based sanitizers, were six times more likely to have an outbreak of norovirus than the facilities where the staff preferred using soap and water.")

Wipes are marginally more effective because at least they scrape off virus particles until they have a chance to repopulate.

Washing with hot water and soap does not kill the virus, but it does remove it from the washed surfaces so that you don't ingest it.

Some CC sage recommended "germstar" which we got from Amazon. It states on the label NORO. All we can testafy to is that we have used it on cruises and ...no Noro. But that could also mean that we were cautious and washed frequently. We also carry it on other non-cruise sojourns. Comes in convenient small pocket/purse 2oz sizes...DW always carries one.

Here is what the experts say

''Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are clearly a very useful and important method to prevent most bacterial and viral infections, with rare exceptions," says Aaron E. Glatt, MD, executive vice president of Mercy Medical Center, Rockville Centre, Long Island, N.Y. He is a spokesman for the Infectious Diseases Society of America.

Viruses cause colds and flu.

Hand sanitizers won't work, Glatt says, against the infection caused by C. difficile, a bacterium that can lead to life-threatening inflammation in the colon.

What about the study finding more norovirus outbreaks with use of hand sanitizers?

"This study does not change my routine recommendation that people should use a hand sanitizer," Glatt says. He sees them as especially useful when water is not available.

In the study, published in the American Journal of Infection Control, CDC researchers looked at the use of hand sanitizers by the staff in 91 long-term care facilities. In those where the staff were equally or more likely to use the hand sanitizers over soap and water for routine hand hygiene, the chance of an outbreak was nearly six times greater.

"It's one study,” says Glatt.

More research is needed, he and other experts say.

So, is hand washing better than hand sanitizers to prevent infection spread?

Both are important, say Glatt and Brian Sansoni, spokesman for the American Cleaning Institute.

"Soap and water are number one," says Sansoni. "Hand sanitizers are a very effective additional tool."

The sanitizers are meant to supplement, not replace, good old-fashioned soap and water washing, Sansoni says.

If you're chosen to participate in the Chef's Table, you get to go in the kitchen for appetizers and champagne.

• Before entering the kitchen, a long Lab Coat is given to you to wear, this covers anything you'd touch with your hands.
  • Then each and every participant has to wash their hands in very warm water, with soap, for 20-30 seconds at the entrance of the kitchen.
  • No sanitizer is offered to the participants, but hand washing is mandatory.

What can we deduce from this?

Here is one company that sells products that supposedly kill noro and other viruses. If their pushished information is valid it seems like a great product.

http://www.zylast.com/TheScience.aspx

They have a variety of other links to interesting stories about it as well. I have also found some other presentations online about it. It's active ingredient is benzethonium chloride which is a broad spectrum antimicrobial which is apparently shown to be very effective against things like norovirus.

It's what we are using on our upcoming cruise.

Regardless of their effectiveness, the cruise lines have no choice but to offer hand sanitizers. Can you imagine the outrage on CC if they did not?

Most of the information posted here indicates that handwashing is far superior to the sanitizers. Some passengers may believe they don't need to wash since they use the sanitzers thus discouraging the more superior method of handwashing.

BC is effective at reducing the viral load but not eliminating it. BC wipes are probably the best option since they also slough the virus.

BC IS good for sanitizing your cabin, because you can leave it on surfaces (unlike your hands, where it is absorbed quickly)

Here is one company that sells products that supposedly kill noro and other viruses. If their pushished information is valid it seems like a great product.

http://www.zylast.com/TheScience.aspx

They have a variety of other links to interesting stories about it as well. I have also found some other presentations online about it. It's active ingredient is benzethonium chloride which is a broad spectrum antimicrobial which is apparently shown to be very effective against things like norovirus.

It's what we are using on our upcoming cruise.

Some CC sage recommended "germstar" which we got from Amazon. It states on the label NORO. All we can testafy to is that we have used it on cruises and ...no Noro. But that could also mean that we were cautious and washed frequently. We also carry it on other non-cruise sojourns. Comes in convenient small pocket/purse 2oz sizes...DW always carries one.

Just ordered this from Amazon and waiting for its arrival. We leave for 20 days on the Emerald on Feb 17th. Will take a few of these bottles with us. We have never gotten Noro on any of our 22 Princess cruises but I got it while staying at a land based resort a few years ago. Ruined the trip!

If you Google "Germstar" and go to its site you find that its Noro active ingredient is 63% alcohol along with other inert ingredients and mint aroma.

Germstar® Noro is scientifically formulated to kill Noro virus. It has a 63% Ethyl alcohol base as its active ingredient, special emollients which maximize its Noro virus killing power, and leaves a fresh, mint scent.

That is exactly the same as the hand sanitizer sold at the Dollar Store as a generic. It also is the same as Purell used aboard cruise ships.

Before a recent, last year, cruise on Celebrity Constellation, which had had a "norovirus" problem on two consecutive cruises, a debate broke out on the thread about Purell and similar products. I asked local doctors and they confirmed for me that alcohol products do no work on viruses. The product recommended was one that used "benzochromium chloride" as the active ingredient. I do not know if that works any better as we , fortunately, did not encounter any problem on the cruise. We had the product and used it, in both gel and wipe form. Again, for what its worth.

I am one of those cautious passengers. I carry "Wet Ones" with me every where. It's active ingredient is "benzochromium chloride" (0.3%). Clorox wipes do not have any chloride in them. This came under the advice of a friend who taught chemistry.

As someone else on another thread has mentioned, we wipe our cabin down, but it really is only good until the steward comes by with a rag he used to clean someone else's cabin. One can only do so much.

Zero point 3 percent is almost weak to the point of ineffective. 2 percent is commercial grade.

The germstar stuff has some chemicals added to help it better adhere to skin and virus particles, making it somewhat effective and better than a straight alcohol sanitizer.

BTW anything that says it kills Noro is effectively lying. There is no test for the elimination of human Noro. Tests are done on feline calicivirus and murine noro, which are different strains.

Only one thing kills noro for sure. High concentration bleach. And you don't want to be carrying that around.

I am one of those cautious passengers. I carry "Wet Ones" with me every where. It's active ingredient is "benzochromium chloride" (0.3%). Clorox wipes do not have any chloride in them. This came under the advice of a friend who taught chemistry.

As someone else on another thread has mentioned, we wipe our cabin down, but it really is only good until the steward comes by with a rag he used to clean someone else's cabin. One can only do so much.

Neither hand washing or hand sanitziers will kill norovirus. Both help wash the virus particles off of your hands. Obviously 30 seconds of hand washing with very warm water will wash off more than a few seconds with one squirt of hand sanitizer.

Actually hand sanitizer does not slough the virus, it basically swirls it around. Think about it, you put the sanitizer on your hands and its then absorbed into skin. There's no opportunity for the virus to be removed. The wipes do slough off some of the virus.

Neither hand washing or hand sanitziers will kill norovirus. Both help wash the virus particles off of your hands. Obviously 30 seconds of hand washing with very warm water will wash off more than a few seconds with one squirt of hand sanitizer.

Seems like there are lots of thoughts here, not sure how much of it is factual. I'm not an expert but I did find this resource and have passed it by friends in the healthcare community who think it is as accurate as they have seen.

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-cleaning-products-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

and

http://www.stopthestomachflu.com/Home/which-hand-sanitizers-kill-stomach-flu-viruses

It's a great resource. For our upcoming CB Cruise (and this is the first time I have ever done this) I ordered The Clorox sprays, tiny Germstar Noro's and the Clorox wipes for the stateroom. I suspect if I prepare for it, it won't happen :)

If take just a minute to Google the products you find that there are several scientific analyses of hand sanitizers.

You also will find on Gemstar's own site that its active ingredient is exactly the same as the generic hand sanitizer -- 63% alcohol.

All of the scientific papers agree with the Princess instructions. Hand washing supplemented by hand sanitizers is effective -- but not foolproof.

Wash the hands with soap and warm water is the best way.

Actually hand sanitizer does not slough the virus, it basically swirls it around. Think about it, you put the sanitizer on your hands and its then absorbed into skin. There's no opportunity for the virus to be removed.

Which is why there is no need to be upset about people who bypass this useless method of fighting noro.