More Cozumel Updates (Questions about hurricane effects)

nanaj2

Thought some of you might be interested in the following e-mail I received from a friend of Chellie's regarding their situation. Thankfully they are okay and did not seem to suffer much if any damage. If you are needing to book with them, keep trying and she will respond as soon as lines are back up.

Due to Hurricane Emily, Chellie is unable to answer your e-mail inquiry

at this

time. Since I'm in the States and part of ERD's marketing team, she's asked

that I get in touch with people who have e-mailed them in the last few days.

I have been in touch with Chellie and she and Antonio and their crew all

weathered the storm. Their boats were secured and did not sustain any damage.

Right now, though, most places on the island are without power and

phone. Eagle

Ray Divers does not have internet/e-mail access at this time. They are not yet

sure how soon everything will be restored. As soon as things are a bit more

cleaned up and the port captain gives the okay, they will be back in business.

Chellie asked me to assure you that she will reply to your e-mail inquiry just

as soon as she can and she wanted me to thank you for your patience, kind

thoughts, and prayers.

I have limited battery power on the laptop so this will be very brief. Yes, I have a home. The apartment had about 2" of water in it from the wind. Just got most of it out. Didn't help that the freezer defrosted and leaked everywhere! Right now the only restaurant open is Palmera's since they are the only ones with a generator...using up their freezer stock. No word on when services will be back on. But the good news is the island survived...come on down! Might take us abit to get things rearranged and tidied up some but don't change your travel plans. No news from Sally. Going to get on the scooter and head to the office...will look for her on the way. Not sure when I can post again but will ASAP. Thanks for all the good thoughts and well wishes...it was spooky. Tom was really white!

Another quickie...oops, that sounds like it should be on another board! Sally is fine. And I would be lying big time if I said there wasn't any damage here. Tom and I went around the island as far as we could early this morning. I don't want to scare anyone away. The vast majority of damage is downed trees, striped vegetation and snapped power poles and dangly lines. But the crews were out early and things are getting cleaned up fast. There is damage on the east side too. It will take some time to rebuild a few places. But like I said, give us a bit of time and things will be ready for you guys. Based on the amount of marine life washed up on the beach and roads, the damage to the reefs doesn't seem as bad as after Ivan. I went to the office earlier. There will be 2 ships arriving tomorrow. Not sure what tours they think they are going to be able to do...none! The good thing is that I have not heard of any reported deaths on the island. Heard from a good bud in Playa and things were pretty good there. Haven't had an update from Tulum yet. More tomorrow...battery on laptop going quickly. And thanks, my apartment is almost back to normal...cleaner now in fact since all I had to do is squeegy out the water! Have the candles going and flash light handy. Is raining lightly now. Oh joy. Took pics all over the island today...not enough juice to post them though.

I am so glad to hear you, Tom and Sally are all ok!:) I am equally happy to hear that my ship will have no reason not to stop there in November!

Good luck with all the clean up and getting back to "normal".

Solita, we are thankful to hear you and your friends / families are safe. My husband and I have been coming to Cozumel since 1992 and consider it our "second home". I greatly appreciate the updates you all have been posting. How did Prima's, Pepe's, Guido's and the clock tower fare? I read where Mezcalito's was gone and that is saddening as we enjoyed many an afternoon in the hammocks as well as the COLD beer over there.

You all will continue to be in our prayers. Again, thank you for the news.

Pharmacy Rx ( Hannah )

To the friends of Nachi Cocom, and to all our colleagues in Cozumel. I was able to speak with Salvador Dominguez, the beach club manager today and would like to share the following.

Salvador and his family are all in good health and though shaken by the experience, like everyone in Cozumel, he is ready to get back to work. Salvador reports that Nachi Cocom received relatively minor damage and he estimates that the beach club will be open for business within 7-10 days. Lets utilize this board to support all of our friends in Cozumel and do everything we can to help them get back on their feet. Cruise critic is a major player and we need to unite to support all of the businesses who will quickly repair and re-open to serve you, their valued clients.

So glad to see that our Cozumel regulars are all well. Tom, (who I had the pleasure of meeting in Coz two weeks ago, thanks for the cocktail :) Sally, (you can walk on my back anytime), Solita, and all who weathered the storm on island. Our prayers have been with you. Having survived Hurricane Ivan in Grand Cayman, we know full well the impact a storm like this can have. Cozumel will be better than ever in no time. The trees will be green, the flowers will bloom , and the natural beauty of Cozumel will shine again. If you have any questions or concerns about a current or future reservation with Nachi Cocom I will be happy to help in any way until communications are restored. Communications with many operators have been difficult and we will do our best to keep you informed as soon as we learn more. Fortunately by all accounts, Cozumel has faired well. Please note that if you have a tour booked with anyone on island, please be patient, and I am sure they will be back in touch with you as soon as their communications systems are restored. Your patience, understanding and support means everything at a time like this. Gods speed Cozumel.

Thank you so much for posting this update Andrew! I've been curious as to how NC and crew weathered the storm. NC was our favorite stop on our 7 day cruise (the first week of May)....I'm so glad to hear they weren't hurt and that NC will be up and running again soon. When we get back to Cozumel, this will for sure be our stop again! Please tell Salvador/Carlos...and crew that the group of 7 from Iowa (who LOVED the mariachi band :)) wish them well and hope the recovery time is speedy! We can't wait to come back!!!

Hi Solita!

I have been thinking of all of you. I met you last September while you were working on PI. Remember? Our names are very similar. My husband an I met Tom while at PB this May. He is super nice!!! We loved PB and are planning on returning when we go on our Disney Cruise in December.(a secret from the kids) This time we will be bringing our children, my sister's family, my brother's family and my mother-in-law. Is there much damage to PB? I do hope you get your electricity back soon and everyone there is okay. I have noticed that all the coverage on tv is on Cancun also.

Solita,

Thank you for the update. I am glad everyone is in such good spirits and is safe. Thank you for letting us know that Sally is alright also. I have been worried about her since we had not heard anything about her. Please let her know we are thinking of her as well and keeping her in thoughts and prayers also.

Well...thanks for the report.....Glad everyone is ok....I'll be there to see Tom in 40 something days.(Sept 2) so I'll see how well you've done;) ...I'm sure it will be fine...Come by PB on Sept 2 late morning if you can.....would like to meet you and tell Sally as well.:D ...I told Tom we'll be spending more time at PB this time as I'm not with one of my groups..I do have to meet the manager of CarlosnCharlies about 2pm or 3pm to discuss some things we're doing for my group there in first part of Nov.:)

Andrew, thank you for the update!! I am so glad to hear that everyone weathered the storm and that NC will be back open soon!! Things could have been so much worse and we are all very glad that it wasn't any worse than it was!!! Thanks again for the update! Take care!!

7-10 days sounds great. Our group of 15 is planning on being there on the 29th...exactly 10 days from today! I'm soooo glad that everybody made it through this with only minimal problems.

Archived