More Cozumel Updates (Questions about hurricane effects)

nanaj2

Thanks for the update Andrew. A group of us, 18 firemen and wives, are scheduled to be there in mid August. I'm still waiting for my official confirmation but I can certainly understand the delay. We're just glad that the damage appears to be minimal and that no lives were lost.

I'm glad everyone is alright in NC! This was one of the most relaxing and fun day of our entire trip if not of our lives when we were there back in June. We are looking into visiting there again soon.

So glad to hear that you have a home Solita. Hang in there and all will return to normal soon. Those crews work really hard in that heat to get everyone up and running again.

Thanks for the update on Sally too. I was starting to worry about her.

The Mexican military units are terrific. The boulevards are almost all passable today after they worked all day and night yesterday and no sign of letting up today or tomorrow. The local police that generally pull 24 hour shifts have stayed at it since this began.

The local government had already done much in preperation and were greatly responsible for the locals preparedness. The mayor was on local television giving personal instructions about shelters and the like.

Tourist are pouring out of the convention center heading back to hotels or home having seen something that makes your eyes pop out.

Cozumel is in recovery right now, it won't be nasty for many days and those that don't know the island well will not know the difference after four months, I believe.

Support the island business is you can, they need it right now.

This site has an excellent forum outlining the status of Cozumel. As you read, many of the beaches/restaurants and other sites that are often discussed here are mentioned.

Hopefully all will be rebuilt/restored quickly as it sounds like many are working hard.

Looking forward to my upcoming visit!

http://www.cozumelmycozumel.com/BoardDCForum1/Data_HTML/dcforum/DCForumID11/1791.html#2

Just saw an update on their website and it looks like Cozumel is working hard to get things back to normal. Direct from http://www.eagleraydivers.com:

July 19, 2005 -- Good News!

First of all, we want to thank everyone for your kind thoughts and prayers. Your concern for us and for the people of Cozumel is so touching!

The island is returning to normal very quickly. Power and phone service has been restored to nearly everyone. The airport has reopened and flights are coming in. The ferries are running their normal schedules again. And, the port captain has opened the port to all maritime traffic. The goal for the island is for everything to be back to normal in 5 to 10 days.

And we have good news, too. We will resume normal operations and have our boats back in the water starting tomorrow. So, if you're still considering coming to Cozumel, we'll be ready for you. And, if you already have a trip booked with us, we're looking forward to serving you.

While we still don't have internet or e-mail access, we do hope to have it restored very soon. We thank you for your patience and we will get back to you just as soon as we can.

Hello all! I am fine, although I could really use a shower! I still have no power at my cottage. I am just around the corner at an internet place, paying about a dollar an hour to enjoy their a/c and write all my friends and family. My place is fine although we had a lot of trees down in our courtyard. With all the neighbors pitching in, we had it all cleaned up in about 7 hours. I had some water forced in around my a/c and some around my windows but no damage.

We were very lucky. There was relatively little precipitation and the hurricane was moving quickly. The whole thing lasted about 6 hours and I slept through the last two. It was a noisy thing, but not terrifyingly loud. Tom may have lost his tan, but I'm still quite brown!

Just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers. I haven't emailed everyone individually, but as soon as I can use my computer at home, with the a/c blasting, I'll do that. But first, I want my shower....

According to Tom, who called me last night, some beaches lost a good bit of sand but Paradise was mostly spared. There was some damage to the second floor palapa and the small palapa bar, but they will be instantly up and running. Tom, Mrs. Tom and little baby-to-be are all fine.

You don't know me...so don't rack your brains. We will be in Cozumel on Christmas Eve and we were in Cozumel in March. I read these postings so frequently that I feel that I do know you.

With no word about Cozumel other than it bore the brunt of Emily; I was most concerned. In Grand Cayman, we did see the aftermath of Ivan last March; the damage was overwhelming.

We are just pleased to hear from you. And we wish you a speedy recovery.

Sally, I can understand the shower thing especially in that heat and humidity. I am glad all is well that the damage was minimal. We will be there in Oct on Explorer and hope to stop by PB. Last year our snorkeling with Eagle Ray took to long for us do anything else.

Sally, I'm so happy to hear the damages are minimal and more important that you made it through safe and sound!:)

We plan to be there on Thanksgiving Day and it's the port i'm looking forward to the most!!:p

Ronni

Sally, it's great to see you posting!!!! So glad all is okay... I know it will take some time before you return to life as you know it, but know we are all thinking about you and keeping you all in prayers...

Sally - good to hear you made it thru with no problems!! We're still waiting to hear from Jeanie at Caribe Blu to see what's up - word on the boards was some minimal damage, but in general the hotel faired okay. We're not sure they want guests yet, so it's wait and see for us. As soon as we know something, I'll e-mail you ..... assuming that you'll be up to working yourself!!!:)

I'm glad to hear mostly good news coming out of COZ. We will be there in less than three weeks. If anyone has an update on the condition of Passion Island, I would appreciate it.

Best of luck to you all. Hope you get Air Conditioning soon!

Don't know you but feel like I do. I have been following the Cozumel postings on all of the boards, and praying that all was going to be well. Thank God the island was not hit as hard as the TV networks had us believe, even though most of the time all they wanted to talk about was "Cancun.":rolleyes: Godspeed in rebuilding, and hope to see you at the end of the month.:)

I was very happy to hear that everyone was OK, I'm very sorry to hear that Coconuts, Mezcalito's and the Bob Marley Bar are gone. We will be there two weeks from today and were planning on driving around the island. Oh well can anyone, on the island or not, give me and my group of about 100 an idea of something real fun to do. Have been to downtown, have been to Chankanaab, we love to party and just hope the island will be getting back to normal by then. Any ideas on what to do from the time the Sensation gets into port till we end the day at Carlos and Charlies would be appreciated.

THanks!

PB Tom, Sally, Solita, and Island Jim & others @ coxumel, Glad to hear you all are well! Really hate to hear about the East side loosing the businesses, hopefully they will be up again soon! You all are so kind, can't wait to meet you, hope you will come by PB 9/7 so I can!!! Pleeeeeaaaassssseeee!! Take care, will bring stuff from the states ;)!

Archived