fairbanks

esimon

If you are at all interested in old cars, period appropriate clothing and great old historical car movies - go to the Fountainhead Car Museum. I have been there 3 times and will go back again if I visit Fairbanks. Imagine a world class car museum featuring American cars in Fairbanks.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

• 1 month later...
What time are you flying out? I would suggest the Museum of the North (located on the University of Alaska campus) or the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum, but my recommendations may change if you are leaving on one of the "red eyes." Also, do you plan to rent a car?

We are leaving on a red eye. Are you saying not to do the Museum of the North or Auto Museum; but do something else? What else would you recommend? Thanks for your tips.

We are leaving on a red eye. Are you saying not to do the Museum of the North or Auto Museum; but do something else? What else would you recommend? Thanks for your tips.

What types of activities do you find interesting? I dearly love both the Museum of the North (and in fact spent some time there yesterday) and the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum, but then again, I love museums.

What types of activities do you find interesting? I dearly love both the Museum of the North (and in fact spent some time there yesterday) and the Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum, but then again, I love museums.

I want to go to those two places; but based on your comment about your recommendations changing if we were on a red eye, I was curious what else was appealing that we should look at doing in addition to those two. We like unique things and beautiful places. It sounds like Alaska to me. :D.

I want to go to those two places; but based on your comment about your recommendations changing if we were on a red eye, I was curious what else was appealing that we should look at doing in addition to those two. We like unique things and beautiful places. It sounds like Alaska to me. :D.

The Museum of the North will start their summer hours around June 1st, and when they do they will be open until 7 PM (assuming no changes from last summer). The Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum has had what I find to be a somewhat odd summer schedule in the past with some nights staying open until 9 PM and other nights closing several hours earlier, so check their website for their current plans. The Morris Thompson Cultural Center has stayed open until 9 PM in the past; their displays focus on Athabascan culture and they have an interesting free film program so check their website. The Large Animal Research Station, located off of Yankovitch Road, has a viewing platform in their parking lot so even after they are closed for the day you can often see their musk ox herd (depending on what paddock they are in at that time).

The Museum of the North will start their summer hours around June 1st, and when they do they will be open until 7 PM (assuming no changes from last summer). The Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum has had what I find to be a somewhat odd summer schedule in the past with some nights staying open until 9 PM and other nights closing several hours earlier, so check their website for their current plans. The Morris Thompson Cultural Center has stayed open until 9 PM in the past; their displays focus on Athabascan culture and they have an interesting free film program so check their website. The Large Animal Research Station, located off of Yankovitch Road, has a viewing platform in their parking lot so even after they are closed for the day you can often see their musk ox herd (depending on what paddock they are in at that time).

Thanks so much for the recommendation on the LARS. It looks good.

The museum on the campus of University of Alaska Fairbanks is nice. http://www.uaf.edu/museum/. Alaskaland- you can walk around and see period homes. Go downtown. If you have a car you can go for a drive.

I will have a car and plan on going to the Museum of the North and Antique Car Museum; and now probably the animal reserve.

I will have a car and plan on going to the Museum of the North and Antique Car Museum; and now probably the animal reserve.

With a car, you can see and do so much more. :) I highly recommend the tour of the Large Animal Research Farm. Short and informative. The Botanical garden is also always a stop for me. Consider driving the old Steese Highway, all I will say, it's an "interesting" drive. :) (several "surprises"). I like eating at the Turtle Club, stop for great pies at the Hilltop and I enjoy eating at Chatanika Lodge, excellent burgers and chili.

With a car, you can see and do so much more. :) I highly recommend the tour of the Large Animal Research Farm. Short and informative. The Botanical garden is also always a stop for me. Consider driving the old Steese Highway, all I will say, it's an "interesting" drive. :) (several "surprises"). I like eating at the Turtle Club, stop for great pies at the Hilltop and I enjoy eating at Chatanika Lodge, excellent burgers and chili.

Thanks for those tips. Where I was once worrying about what we would do all day, I now will have to decide what is in and what is out. The antique car museum will be the first off the list. Seen plenty of those before. :)

BQ,

When you are referring to several surprises, I assume that one is the pipeline. Are you saying that the other surprises are the places you mentioned to eat?

BQ,

When you are referring to several surprises, I assume that one is the pipeline. Are you saying that the other surprises are the places you mentioned to eat?

Nope, the Pipeline is on the Steese Highway, not the old Steese. Nothing to do with the Turtle Club either.

Edited by Budget Queen

Nope, the Pipeline is on the Steese Highway, not the old Steese. Nothing to do with the Turtle Club either.

I have never known you to be so cruel. :D I can't stand not knowing what is there. You have given me something else to look forward to.

I have never known you to be so cruel. :D I can't stand not knowing what is there. You have given me something else to look forward to.

Yep- that's me. :) :) :) It's just a couple "interesting" looks, 5 minutes. Something on each side of the road.

Edited by Budget Queen