Cabin Category changes and Goldstein's Response

orville99

Let's say, HYPOTHETICALLY, there is a premium suite (penthouse, owners, whatever you want to call it) WITH an adjoining room. I THINK all Cle-Guy is trying to say is it doesn't make a lot of sense to allow the connecting room to be booked prior to the suite being booked. This way, if a party is looking for that combination of large suite with adjoining room, it will be available. If you somehow take this as a personal affront, then I don't really know what to tell you. But I think this sounds like reasonable hospitality practice- particularly if there are other equivalent rooms to that adjoining room that are still available.

First of all, it's not "an adjoining room" rather it's one of the most desirable high-end SUITES on the ship, after the Penthouse itself.

And since you want hypotheticals - let's say hypothetically that neither X or RCI agree with your premise about what is "reasonable hospitality practice." Oh wait! That doesn't have to be a hypothetical, since neither X or RCI has that kind of rule at present! I'm assuming both lines would argue that they follow "reasonable hospitality practice" if asked... ;)

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via Tapatalk

You might want to bring a pen if you want to fill out the comment card. It doesnt take up a lot of space in your luggage.

Surveys are on line now. They may do a mid cruise comment paper but not all ships do.

Unfortunately-that has changed. You will however be able to get the room you like, just not the exact one. The reason for this thread, and the answer from corporate has been made clear and they have changed the ability as to what you can and can not do from now on of day one when booking opens.

BTW-cle-guy, I believe Royal answered the call of folks exactly like you who have the actual need and desire to book certain cabins that has often been a problem for you.

I haven't seen anything from corporate other than Adam's flip response to a poorly-worded (IMO) email. Which is really irritating because, were it not for CC, I wouldn't have a clue what was going on and might risk booking a client into their favorite cabin and having them booted out later, if I read Bob's original post on the subject correctly...

I can say that I have had no trouble booking cabins for couples in the 3/4 occupancy cabins on cruises that are not in prime school holiday times - I haven't tried any school-vacation-time bookings, as I don't generally travel when school is out. I just have trouble believing that RCI's system is well-enough organized to be able to sort all of that out.

You might want to bring a pen if you want to fill out the comment card. It doesnt take up a lot of space in your luggage.

Comment cards are emailed to passengers now and you have to fill it out online. :) or :(, depending on how you like that format (I don't).

I can say that I have had no trouble booking cabins for couples in the 3/4 occupancy cabins on cruises that are not in prime school holiday times - I haven't tried any school-vacation-time bookings, as I don't generally travel when school is out. I just have trouble believing that RCI's system is well-enough organized to be able to sort all of that out.

My apologies if a TA can book two in a room that hold four for cruises after June 2015 :o Seems this is what has been posted but heck-I wouldn't be the first to run with CC posted misinformation.:o I did try a mock booking for after the 2015 date and would not let me book a certain room with 2 but would with 4.

And no-maybe I did word that wrong that corporate made it clear on this issue but they sure did make it clear on the OP's original e-mail to them how they felt!!:eek:

I booked a cruise on FR for May, 2015 through RCI's D+ desk and the first question I was asked was whether we were traveling as couple or a larger group. This was for a non-prime travel period as it is after Spring Break and kids are still in school. I booked a JS (which may be exempt from this new policy re: triples and quads) that only accommodated 2 people. Actually, I prefer this cabin as there are no extra life jackets to stow.

I feel that anyone should be able to book the cabin/catagory/location of their choice...if someone comes along after me and wants my cabin...I say" too bad I booked first"...It should then be RCI that can approach me with other options..not that I may or may not decide to change..but the choice should be mine...JMHO and maybe not yours ;):)

To a degree I can't fault what you say, but there are only so many cabins that will sleep 3 or 4 people. D1's are either 4 passenger staterooms or staterooms with adjoining doors. D2's are the same size as D1's and are designed for 2 people without adjoining doors. I do not know why anyone that doesn't have a need for a cabin with adjoining doors would ever want to book that type cabin. The walls on cruise ships are not completely soundproof and the cabins with adjoining doors are even less soundproof. I do not see a good complaint on the OP's post about not being about to book a D1. There are a number of D2's on all the ships that are in most case the very next cabin to a D1, so book a D2 and get off the "I am entitled to do what I want" kick.

To a degree I can't fault what you say, but there are only so many cabins that will sleep 3 or 4 people. D1's are either 4 passenger staterooms or staterooms with adjoining doors. D2's are the same size as D1's and are designed for 2 people without adjoining doors. I do not know why anyone that doesn't have a need for a cabin with adjoining doors would ever want to book that type cabin. The walls on cruise ships are not completely soundproof and the cabins with adjoining doors are even less soundproof. I do not see a good complaint on the OP's post about not being about to book a D1. There are a number of D2's on all the ships that are in most case the very next cabin to a D1, so book a D2 and get off the "I am entitled to do what I want" kick.

Yep, fully agree. Put the restrictions up front so there’s no need for trouble or debates in trying to relocate later. It’s a win for the customers who need it and a win for the cruise line, who doesn’t lose from lost sales.

As they say, prevention is better than cure.

Im of the opinion that these cabins are not "our" cabins. We are merely renting the space for a specified time. The cabins and ships belong to the various shipping companies, and are theirs to do with as they see fit. I think that if you want a cabin with a balcony for 2, then the cruise line should have the right to book you in any cabin they wish that meets those specifications. I don't feel it's fair for 2 people to possibly deny a booking for 4 simply because "they wanted that cabin." If 2 people want a 4 person cabin so badly, maybe they should pay for 4 people???? Fair, no, but neither is the cruiseline having to tell families "no" because someone else felt they were entitled to cabin #XXXX and they booked it early. So what if it was booked early? If you are a couple in a room for 4, and the cruiseline NEEDS a room for 4, well, out ya go, but the cruiseline would have to book you in a cabin in the same category or higher than what you booked. Bottom line is the cruiseline needs to be able to accommodate ALL passengers as best as they can. The other idea is that the cruiseline allocate a number of desirable cabins that can be specifically booked by room number, and once all of these are sold, then all new bookings go into a guarantee pool, of sorts, until final payment date.

After June 1, 2015, those cabins become D2's.

So let me get this straight. You are complaining that what is currently a D1, let's say Cabin 9340 on the Oasis, and after June 1, 2015 it will be a D2 and not a D1. Do you are not complaining about being able to book the cabin you want, you are complaining that it will not be in the category you want. Same cabin just a D2 instead of a D1. Is it a prestige thing? WHAT???

seriously?

lots of these responses are from the folks who have drank the RCI kool-aid.. if RCI (their bff adam) told them they had to sweep the deck they would bring their own broom.

Sounds like a legit response to me. The OP put out a laundry list of whining with a standard response of he hung in there for the team, but is now going elsewhere. Not sure what you thing RCCL should do, rearrange the ship for one passenger, maybe reserve him a cabin where he wants with no restriction, or what? Kool-Aid isn't the issue at all. If a customer came into my business told me he had stuck by me through thick and thin in a not very nice manner, with sarcastic insults, and told me he was taking his business elsewhere, I would gladly show him the door and point the direction.

Thank you, I now understand why I was not able to book a D1. It would have been helpful if RCI informed my TA, she was unaware of this and suggested that as no cabins were available they were being held back for the US market.

The D2 cabins offered were not in my preferred locations, ie very far forward or aft on all decks. My TA and I worked through the deck plans while she was on the phone to RCI and had to opt for a location I would not normally have chosen, however I do want to experience Allure so no great hardship. This conversation took place prior to the official opening time for bookings, so all the prime D2 cabins had sold out prior to going on sale ???? or they had, in fact, been held back.

Thank you for the information on cabin numbers, I will note these for future use. Just as an aside, here in the UK we don't have the luxury of cancelling cruises or changing cabins without penalty should a better cabin become available.

Thank you again.

Just to confirm what you originally said. We tried to book a centre D1 hump as soon as bookings opened for the Allure Transatlantic in October 2015. My TA was told (by those wonderfully well-informed folk in Guatemala :rolleyes:) that D1's were only available for 4 people. He went through a whole list of centre hump D1's which did not have the triangle symbol (i.e. not for 4) but was told they were not available.

Later in the day those cabins had been reassigned as D2's - at the same price - and were available for 2 people. Unfortunately the sales office in Guatemala or the people who loaded the website with new availability had not been correctly informed.

Meanwhile we booked a JS (which we could book for 2) as the price was good. Interestingly enough I now see that D1's with a triangle are available for our sailing since, presumably, the end of October on a Transatlantic has now been deemed not to be a peak time for families (surprise, surprise). However, it would have been good if all this had been sorted before the new itineraries were launched.

A word of advice for the future is look out for the cabins which don't have a triangle as they don't hold 4.

Edited by Bobal

Sorry, but this thread is about an email exchange between the OP and the CEO of RCI and you took this completely OT with your discussion which isn't even RCI but X related.

Ah, what's one more tangent on CC? :D Someone will post another analogy here and we'll be off and running in another direction.

By your screen name I can only imagine about what

No clue what point you are trying to make.:rolleyes: Nor am I aware of any history that you and I have on these boards that you would make any comment.

Edited by Ocean Boy

Why is it impossible for a sofa bed to be exchanged with a sofa in another cabin?

So in addition to changing over an entire ship between 8 AM and 1 PM you feel they can also add moving furniture around between cabins too?

Have you ever tried to move a sofa bed? It's not as easy as it sounds especially when you want to move it from one cabin to another. The most important thing is that it must be secured so as not to open in the process of moving.

My suggestion, which I'll paraphrase from my post in the original stateroom reclassification thread, would be to upgrade all these rooms to have the potential to sleep a 3rd or 4th person, as part of a future drydock schedule that involves stateroom refurbishment. E.g. I'm not suggesting RCI pull all their ships out of service to implement this change next week.

If all the cabins had the potential to sleep 3 or 4 by all having sofa beds, there wouldn't be this issue of locking out groups of 3/4 people from cabins that are flagged as only supporting 2 persons and now locking out groups of 2 from cabins which are set up for a 3rd or 4th berth.

Each ship would already have a preset maximum amount of 3rd & 4th guests for a variety of reasons - safety, attendant work load, etc. RCI could just keep a separate tally of booked 3rd & 4th berths and not permit any more bookings with a 3rd or 4th person if/when the threshold is reached. Bookings with only 2 people wouldn't be affected (unless the ship happens to be a sell out!). I'm sure counting 3rd/4th people in a reservation separately wouldn't be too hard, considering they already have a different per person charge to person 1 & 2!

RCI would probably get a better bulk purchase rate by having all the same lounges anyway - sofa beds in this case :cool:.

RCI would probably get a better bulk purchase rate by having all the same lounges anyway - sofa beds in this case :cool:.

But for the fact that Sofabeds cost more than standard sofas, and the seating doesn't last as long, and gets 'slumppy' over time easing to dissatisfied guests or replacement costs sooner than expected.

We've definitely gone off on another tangent. :eek:How did smoking even get into this conversation?!!! LOL:D

OP mentioned it in his email to Adam:

When you restricted smoking, we switched to Personal vaporizers (by the way, the term electronic cigarette is a misnomer, as there is no smoke), and we remained loyal. In fact, we saved so much money by quitting that we were able to cruise more often, and in better cabins.

Edited by moposh

OP mentioned it in his email to Adam:

When you restricted smoking, we switched to Personal vaporizers (by the way, the term electronic cigarette is a misnomer, as there is no smoke), and we remained loyal. In fact, we saved so much money by quitting that we were able to cruise more often, and in better cabins.

OMG-it's been a while since I actually read the original e-mail I forgot all about it!!:o LOL

So what if it was booked early? If you are a couple in a room for 4, and the cruiseline NEEDS a room for 4, well, out ya go, but the cruiseline would have to book you in a cabin in the same category or higher than what you booked.

Perhaps this is exactly what the cruise line wants to avoid, UPGRADES. If the rooms for 3/4 are blocked from couples then the chance of an upgrade is much smaller..costing the cruise line less. I have seen lists of things to do to help you get an upgrade and one of them was to book a cabin that accommodates 3 or 4...so if the cruise line needs the room for a family they will upgrade you. I see no problem with the new rule ...I don't like connecting rooms, I never feel entirely safe and they can be noisy. I did have one once and came back to the room after breakfast and the room steward had left the doors between the two rooms open! NOT a good feeling.