Tipping in Specialty Restaurants

NewSalt

Do most of you folks leave a cash tip at anytime dining?

We always do Anytime, but frequently will find a waiter that we enjoy, and will sit with that waiter for the remainder of a cruise. In those cases, we will usually leave a tip at the end of the cruise. However, if we rotate and have different waiters each night, generally we will not leave a tip.

We have only dined in the specialty restaurant, Crown, once. I tipped the waiter 20 bucks in cash, and my wife thought it was too little. I thought, and still think, that it was appropriate since it is my understanding that he shares in the auto tipping. Last cruise we used anytime dining, which we both really enjoy. I did not think to tip the waitstaff, and now wish that I had. I did give one of the Assistant Maitre'd's a tip on the first night, I think about 20 bucks. My usual practice with the cabin steward is to tip him 20 on the first night and then an additional 20 to 30 at the end, depending on service.

Do most of you folks leave a cash tip at anytime dining?

$20 at the CG is good.

We don't bribe Stewart the first day, if he does better then usual then an extra tip awaits him at the end. ;)

We never tip each night in anytime, its included in the autotip.

If they go above and beyond then I will find them at some point during the cruise and tip extra. We always fill out the employee comment cards for going above the usual service. These go along way with their supervisors.

We always do Anytime, but frequently will find a waiter that we enjoy, and will sit with that waiter for the remainder of a cruise. In those cases, we will usually leave a tip at the end of the cruise. However, if we rotate and have different waiters each night, generally we will not leave a tip.

I don't pay attention to the area or waiter when I have dinner in the MDR. As such I don't leave a tip when doing the Anytime dining either.

I believe it says it in the Patter. Also, how different is not tipping in the main dining room after dinner...cause it is included in the price of cruising, although we are paying $12 pp per day for tips plus more for suites. I do not see why if you are paying the upcharge for the restaurants these servers are tipped to serve when they still share in the daily tips that we pay. I am not paying twice.

I believe it says it in the Patter. Also, how different is not tipping in the main dining room after dinner...cause it is included in the price of cruising, although we are paying $12 pp per day for tips plus more for suites. I do not see why if you are paying the upcharge for the restaurants these servers are tipped to serve when they still share in the daily tips that we pay. I am not paying twice.

It says what in the patter?? There is nothing in the patter about tips being included in the specialty restaurants.

Suites pay $12pppd just like the minis, no more.

Mike:)

Edited by bhopal21

I'm not convinced that a tip is not part of the upcharge. On the Grand, I had the 'Three For free' one of which was a dinner in the Crown Grill and the reservation card we received on boarding specificaly stated 'Gratuity not included with complementary specialty dining.' The night we paid to eat there, the reservation card omitted any reference to a gratuity.

I'm not convinced that a tip is not part of the upcharge.
The tip cannot officially be part of the upcharge, since no part of it is identified as such and you can't ask them to reduce or remove that part, etc. But this doesn't mean that you have to leave an additional tip.

None of us really knows exactly what Princess does with the $25 upcharge, or with our daily service charge, or with our cruise fare. Or with the 15% bar gratuities. I am happy to pay it all directly to Princess, and let them figure out how to run their company with it. I don't feel any need to give additional tips on top of that. I do occasionally give extra cash, but I don't feel cheap when I leave nothing.

On the Grand, I had the 'Three For free' one of which was a dinner in the Crown Grill and the reservation card we received on boarding specificaly stated 'Gratuity not included with complementary specialty dining.'

I don't dispute what you are saying, but I find this surprising since the Princess website specifically states the discretionary gratuity is shared between all the waitstaff (which presumably includes waiters in the specialty restaurants).

From the website:

To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

I don't dispute what you are saying, but I find this surprising since the Princess website specifically states the discretionary gratuity is shared between all the waitstaff (which presumably includes waiters in the specialty restaurants).

From the website:

To simplify the tipping process for our passengers, a discretionary gratuity of $12 per person for mini-suites and suites, and $11.50 per passenger in all other staterooms per day (including children) will be automatically added to your shipboard account on a daily basis. This gratuity will be shared amongst those staff who help provide and support your cruise experience, including all waitstaff, stateroom stewards, buffet stewards, and housekeeping staff across the fleet.

It does say ALL waitstaff