HUGE Problem concerning Costa's All-Inclusive Package

cruiseexpert13

Hey everyone, i just had a bad experience with Costa Cruise about the all inclusive package and i recommend you guys reading this because it might be helpful.

I was aware that most cruise lines have a policy that says that if 1 traveller wants the all-inclusive package, all travelers sharing a CABIN with the same person ALSO need to purchase the package.

However, i had a bad surprise on the phone with Costa today. We are a group of 8 people, 3 of us were interested in purchasing it, but i was told that ''ALL PEOPLE EATING DINER TOGETHER'' need to purchase the package. I think that policy is abselutely ridiculous, because when you are travelling with a large group, not everyone is interesting in purchasing an all inclusive package! Its a total scam! We have non-drinkers in our group, we have 1 minor, etc... And just because 2 or 3 of us wanted to drink and take advantage of the package, we cant even do that anymore

But then i thought of something. The lady on the phone told me that the reason why this policy existed was because its 'unlimited', therefore people could cheat and share. I agree with that, but i got the idea to call them back and ask if they had a different alcohol package, which isint unlimited, so maybe a package that offers a maximum of 15 drinks per day for example, that way its not unlimited and sharing wouldnt be an issue...

to my big surprise... NOPE... nothing.

Good Job Costa Cruise, you just lost 3 customers out of 6 who were ready to pay you 250$ for this package, now you're getting nothing. Terrible customer service

Edited by cruiseexpert13

Hey everyone, i just had a bad experience with Costa Cruise about the all inclusive package and i recommend you guys reading this because it might be helpful.

I was aware that most cruise lines have a policy that says that if 1 traveller wants the all-inclusive package, all travelers sharing a CABIN with the same person ALSO need to purchase the package.

However, i had a bad surprise on the phone with Costa today. We are a group of 8 people, 3 of us were interested in purchasing it, but i was told that ''ALL PEOPLE EATING DINER TOGETHER'' need to purchase the package. I think that policy is abselutely ridiculous, because when you are travelling with a large group, not everyone is interesting in purchasing an all inclusive package! Its a total scam! We have non-drinkers in our group, we have 1 minor, etc... And just because 2 or 3 of us wanted to drink and take advantage of the package, we cant even do that anymore

But then i thought of something. The lady on the phone told me that the reason why this policy existed was because its 'unlimited', therefore people could cheat and share. I agree with that, but i got the idea to call them back and ask if they had a different alcohol package, which isint unlimited, so maybe a package that offers a maximum of 15 drinks per day for example, that way its not unlimited and sharing wouldnt be an issue...

to my big surprise... NOPE... nothing.

Good Job Costa Cruise, you just lost 3 customers out of 6 who were ready to pay you 250$ for this package, now you're getting nothing. Terrible customer service

I think you received incorrect information. I do know that everyone in your cabin must take a form of the AI based on their age.

I would call back and talk to someone else at Costa or just wait until you board and buy it. They never ask how many are at your table when you buy it onboard.

I think you received incorrect information. I do know that everyone in your cabin must take a form of the AI based on their age.

I would call back and talk to someone else at Costa or just wait until you board and buy it. They never ask how many are at your table when you buy it onboard.

I called 3 times and spoke to 3 different person... And they all said the same thing. Everyone eating dinner with u must have it

I called 3 times and spoke to 3 different person... And they all said the same thing. Everyone eating dinner with u must have it

Hmmm. That's interesting. A lot of people do try to cheat the system, I have seen it.

I still think that you should just go ahead and book it just for your cabin when you board.

Hmmm. That's interesting. A lot of people do try to cheat the system, I have seen it.

I still think that you should just go ahead and book it just for your cabin when you board.

Well thats what i tried doing over the phone but they wouldnt allow me. However another agent told me that if i go in person and request the package along with my friend, they might go around the system and allow us. I really hope so because so far nothing makes sense

Our group of 10 arranged to be seated together on the Feb 5 Luminosa Cruise out of Miami and Costa also told me on the phone about the All Inclusive Beverage Package rule.

But first rule of Italian Style Cruising is ignore what Costa says. I bought the Beverage package for our cabin and it turns out all our second seating requests to be at a 10 seat table were ignored by Costa so on first evening we spoke to the Maitre D' who moved us all to table 275 on Deck 3 together.

Two couples had the full Beverage Package, four people had the 6 bottle wine and water package and one couple had no package and ordered wine by the bottle on some evenings. The waiters had no problem figuring out which of us had which package - even when we moved seats around the table each night.

We often sat together in the bars and lounges and when ordering cocktails the bar people simply looked at each card and took them back to the bar and when drinks came everybody signed the bills - just some of us had $0.00 on the bottom of our bar receipts.

I kept every one of our receipts - it was 202 drinks for the two of us over 10 days. Did we cheat? Not at all. Lily works for government in Canada and wouldn't allow me to hand out drinks.

Well thats what i tried doing over the phone but they wouldnt allow me. However another agent told me that if i go in person and request the package along with my friend, they might go around the system and allow us. I really hope so because so far nothing makes sense

It's Costa, many times the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

Book it on the ship. The waiter's really push it the first day.

That's what we are going to do next month. The other couple at our table never order the AI we always do.

Thanks alot for the replies. Thats great news!

Where did u guys book the package? Front desk? At a bar?

You can do either one.

I like to book it with waitstaff, they get credit for selling them. If you do that, whoever you booked it from, will remember you everytime they see you the rest of the cruise as the person that booked it with them.

Then you go to Guest Services and they mark your Cruise Card on the back showing that you have the AI.

This is not a huge problem but a Costa requirement when buying the All Inclusive Package, it's been in place some time and is even in black and white (which Costa is not known for).

Have a look at the PDF file in message No 2 on this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1985402

It clearly states

This package must be purchased by all passengers travelling in the same cabin or who are travelling with the same booking number and by all passengers who dine together. The price includes the service charge.

Stated in 6 languages to boot.

Ron

Such a rule was imposed because on the original All Inclusive drinks packages (X1 and J2) only 1 person in the cabin could buy it. A small percentage of passengers spoilt it for the rest by ordering rounds of drinks at the dinner table and then bragging about it on cruise forums. Even Costa can read sometimes, hence the new restrictions.

This is not a huge problem but a Costa requirement when buying the All Inclusive Package, it's been in place some time and is even in black and white (which Costa is not known for).

It clearly states

This package must be purchased by all passengers travelling in the same cabin or who are travelling with the same booking number and by all passengers who dine together. The price includes the service charge.

Ron

Such a rule was imposed because on the original All Inclusive drinks packages (X1 and J2) only 1 person in the cabin could buy it. A small percentage of passengers spoilt it for the rest by ordering rounds of drinks at the dinner table and then bragging about it on cruise forums. Even Costa can read sometimes, hence the new restrictions.

Ok but have you been on a shipand tried purchasing it? Because everyone else is saying that on the ship this rule doesnt matter

It clearly states

Ron

Like I wrote earlier, with Costa the right hand doesn't always know what the left hand is doing.

But, don't cheat the system. When in doubt the bartenders or waitstaff will ask for a card for each drink ordered.

For instance:

What happens if you don't have it, but are assigned to a table of 6 or 10 where everyone else has it? Think they are going to make you buy it? I think not.

I've been seated at tables where I had bought the package prior to my cruise but not everyone else they'd sat together had. It was no problem. Wee ached signed for our own drinks. As the cruise progressed we got friendly with each other and sometimes went for a drink together afterwards. Unless we could show we all had cards with EXTRA on them, they would not allow one of us to order for the table. I ended up having an argument with them, because I genuinely wanted to buy 2 other ladies a drink. They kept saying not allowed. I argued back that surely if I was going to allow them to charge me for the cost, I could. I eventually got the drinks. Signed a receipt for mine with 0.00 on it and another for the cost of the 2 drinks.

I've been seated at tables where I had bought the package prior to my cruise but not everyone else they'd sat together had. It was no problem. Wee ached signed for our own drinks. As the cruise progressed we got friendly with each other and sometimes went for a drink together afterwards. Unless we could show we all had cards with EXTRA on them, they would not allow one of us to order for the table. I ended up having an argument with them, because I genuinely wanted to buy 2 other ladies a drink. They kept saying not allowed. I argued back that surely if I was going to allow them to charge me for the cost, I could. I eventually got the drinks. Signed a receipt for mine with 0.00 on it and another for the cost of the 2 drinks.

While the vast majority of pax are honest and sensible, I have seen 'all sorts' on cruise ships. It would not surprise me if the following scenario has occured -

A pax with AI orders a 'round for the table' and tells the waiter he will sign a chit (for the charge to his folio), for the drinks other than his own. The waiter brings (and serves) the drinks and presents two chits: one for $0.00 and one for the cost of the 'other' drinks. The 'jerk' then says to the waiter "What's this?" (referring to the chit for the 'other' drinks) and tells the waiter "No, no! You misunderstood. I have AI - there's no charge!" then adamantly refuses to sign. The waiter can't take back the drinks... and gets 'burned' as the cost of the drinks are deducted from his pathetically meager wages... while the jerk runs around the ship bragging about how he scammed 'Costa' out of a round of drinks - "They're a rich cruise line and they can afford it. Ha, ha.".

I have purchased the all inclusive for everyone in the cabin- myself and 1 child. We were sat at a large table for 10 at dinner. Nobody else on the table had the package- a few purchased it on board during the cruise. The waiter just brought each group their own separate bill. But having said that I did not know these people before we cruised and we were assigned the table by Costa rather than requesting it.

ok so i guess it doesnt matter on the ship, but then again all you people that were seated at dinner with people who didnt have the package, you guys didnt know them, you didnt book with them. We are 6 people in my group, i think we'll be seated by ourselves, but we all booked together, so i dont know if they will allow just 2 of us to buy the package.

But anyways, this cruise is in 13 days so i guess we'll find out lol

ok so i guess it doesnt matter on the ship, but then again all you people that were seated at dinner with people who didnt have the package, you guys didnt know them, you didnt book with them. We are 6 people in my group, i think we'll be seated by ourselves, but we all booked together, so i dont know if they will allow just 2 of us to buy the package.

But anyways, this cruise is in 13 days so i guess we'll find out lol

When you purchase the package they will not know who else is sitting at your table. Really.

Depends if all 6 persons are on one booking or the cabins have been linked for dinner!

Ron

Yes, I don't see a huge problem here and the 'solution' is simple -

If some in a 'group' want AI and others don't, don't book together; and, don't electronically link your staterooms for dinner - see the maître d' once onboard and he'll arrange to have you seated together.