Cruise Critic Community
Cruising Alot 1245

Transportation from Passau to Munich Airport

My husband and I are ending our Danube River Cruise with Viking in May. We have our own air transportation so transfers to the Munich Airport are not provided by Viking. What is the most convenient method of transport from Passau to Munich Airport given we will have luggage since we're then traveling to Amsterdam for a Baltic cruise?

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Either train or private driver/shuttle service. By train you should consider a regional train with a direct connection to Munich central station. There you have to change to the suburban train to the airport. There´s no regular train service to the airport, suburban trains only. But that´ll take you at least 3 to 4 hours.

For more information check the Munich Airport website.

steamboats

Thanks. Since we'll have luggage the train option may not be good. Do you have the names of any shuttle/car services? I've checked the web and have found one for $1100 which is too rich for my blood!:eek:

We took the train to Munich with luggage as did several other people from our cruise. We had 3 large suitcases, but there were other people with more luggage than us. The hardest part was changing from the mainline train to the suburban train in Munich, but we were able to do it. So if you are fit enough to carry your luggage, that is probably best. Otherwise I think it will be quite expensive to hire a car or limo to go that far.

We took the train to Munich with luggage as did several other people from our cruise. We had 3 large suitcases, but there were other people with more luggage than us. The hardest part was changing from the mainline train to the suburban train in Munich, but we were able to do it. So if you are fit enough to carry your luggage, that is probably best. Otherwise I think it will be quite expensive to hire a car or limo to go that far.

RachelG: I am interested in this answer also, thanks for any help. We aslo are planning to depart the river Cruise in Passau and spend a few days in Munich, then fly back to the States from Munich.

If it is easy enough to take the mainline train to Munich, is it then possible to get a Taxi from that Train station to our Hotel -- Then stay a few days in Munich and take a Taxi directly to the Airport Does this scenario make sense and is it doable?

Thanks again for any help with the best way to get from Passau to Munich.

travelqueen555,

There are plenty of taxis in the area of the central station. But as there are plenty of hotels there too I highly suggest to get a hotel close to the station.

From the central station you can either take the suburban train to the airport or the Lufthansa airport bus (which is located north of the central station).

The airport is not within the city limits of Munich. A taxi from downtown is roughly 60 to 80 Euro.

steamboats

Very easy..you can walk, ( we took a cab) from port inPassau to train station. About a 90 minute ride leaves you off in that wonderful city of Munich. Keep in mind, if you do opt to walk, altho a short distance, the streets are cobblestone. Enjoy your trip, as we have taken multiple river cruises and will never go any other way. This year we are doing France ( Normandy region) good luck to you.

RachelG: I am interested in this answer also, thanks for any help. We aslo are planning to depart the river Cruise in Passau and spend a few days in Munich, then fly back to the States from Munich.

If it is easy enough to take the mainline train to Munich, is it then possible to get a Taxi from that Train station to our Hotel -- Then stay a few days in Munich and take a Taxi directly to the Airport Does this scenario make sense and is it doable?

Thanks again for any help with the best way to get from Passau to Munich.

We stayed at the hilton in Munich. Took the train to munich, transferred to the s Bahn which took us to the stop right by our hotel. Then when we were ready to go the the airport 2 days later, took the s Bahn directly to the airport. Super easy.

If you are coming from Passau by train, and want to go to the airport direct without going into the city of Munich, there is absolutely no reason to change from the train to the S-subway at the large and busy Munich Central Station. You get off at Freising and take the airport bus from there. Everybody who travels from Eastern Bavaria to the airport does it this way. Freising is a much smaller station, with only 4 platforms, but with elevators, and not so crowded. Much more time efficient as well, as this will cut your travel time substantially. There is a direct train to Freising twice per hour from Passau, travel time 1h45min-2 hours. The airportbus runs every 20 minutes, and is located just outside the station, so less schlepping through a big confusing station with luggage too. Travel time from Freising to the airport 17 to 20 minutes.

Check out the map of Freising station here, click on the map on the right or the title "Bahnhofplan" underneath. The airport bus stops on the right where the airport sign is. Easy peasy.

Edited by UKBayern
clarification

UKBayern,

Gee, I didn´t think about that! Although I used this bus (635) for nearly 2 years when I worked in Freising.

steamboats

Cruising Alot 1245 & RachelG

I'm on the Aug 2-9, 2015 Danube Uni world Cruise and they provide free transportation to Airports or Train Station. But.....we are staying in Munich before the Uni world Cruise, on our own. When I travel, I use Blacklane Car Service-they are international & I've used them in London, Paris, Amsterdam & am booked with them for Munich Airport to Hotel Excelsior in Munich, as well as picking us up at the Train Station in Budapest to the ship at the start of the cruise.

I checked their prices (using 9/12/15-10am pickup at Passau cruise docks) to Munich Airport a car was Euros 282.26 ($315.US approx.) and to Munich City Center/Train Station was Euros 319.19 ($355.US approx). Both prices are much better than the $1100 price you got. Plus, how nice is it to have a driver waiting for you and take you right to your destination, without lugging suitcases. IT'S YOUR VACATION & YOU SHOULD RELAX & ENJOY!

Hope it helps you both

Liuba