Taking Grandmother on first cruise - need advice!

abert89

Hello all,

I registered here because I am currently planning to take my 88-year-old Grandmother on her first cruise and am conflicted on which way to go. I'm 22, have only been on one other cruise (Holland America to Alaska when I was 12), and know absolutely nothing about cruising. I visited with a travel agent today, who helped me narrow down my choices to Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas or Celebrity Silhouette. We're planning on doing the seven night Eastern Caribbean trip.

My grandmother is concerned that Royal Caribbean will be too noisy/crowded, or "lower class," as she says (sorry if that offends). She's accustomed to staying in extremely nice hotels and is concerned that the Oasis won't provide the 5 star experience she likes. This is where Celebrity seems like the better option.

However, at 22, I'm concerned about being stuck on a ship full of 50-somethings with no one to talk to and nothing to do. The Oasis appears to have so many activities, excursions, shows, nightclubs, etc... nonstop activity. I remember being bored to death on my family's Holland America trip and don't want a repeat of that experience.

What do you all think is the best way to go? Food quality is also important to my grandmother, and she's read that the food on the Oasis isn't nearly as good as on the Celebrity line. Like I said, she's accustomed to luxury and wants to enjoy fine dining, spa service, drinks by the pool, shopping, etc, but I want to make sure there are also plenty of activities for us to enjoy.

All-in-all I just want this to be a great vacation for the two of us and need to find a happy medium - a cruise that will suit both of us. As I'm starting school in the fall, this will likely be our last trip together while her health is still good and while I have the time to spend with her.

Any and all opinions/suggestions/feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you so much!

Offhand, although I have not been aboard the ship yet, I'm inclined to suggest you try to get a cruise on Celebrity Solstice.

Hopefully people who have been aboard that ship will be able to contribute their thoughts and help you further.

Celebrity. I think Oasis would be too busy, and too large for an 88 year old.

Edited to add: What a nice thing to do for your grandmother!

And Celebrity cruises also have all ages of folks onboard.

Edited by Coralc

Thank you both!

Do you think there is enough to do/enough entertainment on the Celebrity cruises? My grandmother did add that she absolutely does not want to be "stuck playing shuffle board with a bunch of old ladies all day long," (her words).

Decisions, decisions...

Edited by abert89

All-in-all I just want this to be a great vacation for the two of us and need to find a happy medium - a cruise that will suit both of us. As I'm starting school in the fall, this will likely be our last trip together while her health is still good and while I have the time to spend with her.

Any and all opinions/suggestions/feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you so much!

Why? :confused: You're 22 and have 60+ more years to cruise if that's what you want to do. So what if you're bored. Read a book. This is her first cruise at age 88; it should be all about her, IMHO. I took my 70 year old Mom on her first cruise a few years ago. I chose Princess because I knew Royal Caribbean would not be for her. I spoiled her. We did the Chef's Table, got a balcony breakfast, and I pretty much let her choose every shore excursion we did. If she wanted to go to a show, we did. If she didn't, we didn't. I was in bed by 10 every night because Mom is an early riser and I didn't want to be sleep deprived the whole cruise. There were plenty of activities I might have done if she hadn't been with me, but I have no way of knowing if that will end up being our only cruise together and I wanted it to be one that she would look back at, as the vacation of a lifetime. We had the best time and I wouldn't trade it for a more active, fun, Royal Caribbean cruise for the world.

I'd pick Celebrity. The main dining room food/service on Royal Caribbean has gone downhill, I think. Also, depending on when you go, the Oasis is likely to be overrun with small children wreaking havoc at every turn. I was on the Allure during the school year and there were still an abundance of kids running around the dining room unsupervised, and playing in the elevators. It wasn't enough to really cause an issue, but I would never in a million years cruise on that ship during school holidays {shudder}

Edited by Cruzin-K

Why? :confused: You're 22 and have 60+ more years to cruise if that's what you want to do. So what if you're bored. Read a book. This is her first cruise at age 88; it should be all about her, IMHO. I took my 70 year old Mom on her first cruise a few years ago. I chose Princess because I knew Royal Caribbean would not be for her. I spoiled her. We did the Chef's Table, got a balcony breakfast, and I pretty much let her choose every shore excursion we did. If she wanted to go to a show, we did. If she didn't, we didn't. I was in bed by 10 every night because Mom is an early riser and I didn't want to be sleep deprived the whole cruise. There were plenty of activities I might have done if she hadn't been with me, but I have no way of knowing if that will end up being our only cruise together and I wanted it to be one that she would look back at, as the vacation of a lifetime. We had the best time and I wouldn't trade it for a more active, fun, Royal Caribbean cruise for the world.

I'd pick Celebrity. The main dining room food/service on Royal Caribbean has gone downhill, I think. Also, depending on when you go, the Oasis is likely to be overrun with small children wreaking havoc at every turn. I was on the Allure during the school year and there were still an abundance of kids running around the dining room unsupervised, and playing in the elevators. It wasn't enough to really cause an issue, but I would never in a million years cruise on that ship during school holidays {shudder}

Good point, perhaps that came out wrong. I suppose what I mean is that I want to make sure there is enough for us to do onboard. Even though my grandmother is 88, she's an extremely active 88-year-old, and is definitely interested in excursions, bars, pools, shows, etc. Ideally we'd like to find a hybrid - a cruise that blends luxury and entertainment.

I absolutely want this to be the vacation of a lifetime for her, something she'll remember fondly for the rest of her life. This very well may be her last big trip and I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in! :)

Good point, perhaps that came out wrong. I suppose what I mean is that I want to make sure there is enough for us to do onboard. Even though my grandmother is 88, she's an extremely active 88-year-old, and is definitely interested in excursions, bars, pools, shows, etc. Ideally we'd like to find a hybrid - a cruise that blends luxury and entertainment.

I absolutely want this to be the vacation of a lifetime for her, something she'll remember fondly for the rest of her life. This very well may be her last big trip and I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in! :)

OK, I see. Go Grandma! :D I haven't personally sailed on Celebrity, but have read enough on these boards over the past 10 years to believe they have a quality product and I do plan to try them out someday.

Excursions will be pretty much the same no matter which ship you're on. They basically all use the same vendors on the islands.

I think for "luxury" your best bet will be Celebrity. The Oasis class is amazing and I enjoyed my recent trip very much, but still wouldn't classify it as "luxury", more like "OMG"

I can't comment on entertainment on Celebrity because I haven't been, but while entertainment on the Allure was spectacular, it was a bit of a pain to have to make reservations so far ahead of time (not really knowing what else might be going on at that exact time) and still have to show up super early to get a decent seat and wait in line for a half hour.

Dear abert89, let me tell you I think you are a wonderful granddaughter! I'm now 53 my husband and I have been traveling with his parents our daughter and fam and friends for many many years. My father in law passed in 2010 at the age of 86 since then we have had my mother in law on 2 cruises she just turned 88. We did explorer and the freedom. She has life and is also full of energy and to I don't think she considers herself old lol but I think the oasis may be a bit to big extra walking and such. My concern would be if you had a long flight?? I'm hoping to take her with us again on the quantum out of Bayonne nj so we have no flight. If she will be content to relax and let you do your thing a little she should be fine. FYI if you need any medical equipment you can rent threw cruise care. Order and it's waiting in your cabin. I used them many times for my father in law. I rented an oxygen concentrator. With good planning you should have s great time good luck and enjoy! Make wonderful memories :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My single, younger sister cruises with my parents who are in their upper 80's to help with a variety of issues.

She says she always attends the singles gathering most cruise lines have the first day or 2 of the trip. She says she gets to know some people her own age ... apparently there's a whole group of people who sail with older relatives. The people she meets often prearrange to meet in one of the lounges for a drink or 2 after the parents do their "early to bed" thing. She quite enjoys it.:)

Might be worth looking into.

PS ... I'd go with the Celebrity and do the assigned dining.

I also spent many years cruising with my elderly mom both on Celebrity and RCL.

Could you provide more details about your high level plans? Do you both have to fly and if so, from where? What kind of cabin are you looking at booking? Do you have a specific budget? What month are you planning to cruise? Your TA has recommended two cruises that sail from FLL. They appear to have 3 ports and 3 seas days.

If your grandmother is very active, you might want to look at a more port intensive cruise. Ports will keep you very busy during the days and after you dine and go to a show, that will probably be it if you have to be up and out the next day.

No ship will provide "luxury" accomodations, unless you can afford to book a suite or a true luxury line...standard cabins are quite small, and while they are well-designed for storage, they aren't anything like a hotel...not even a Hampton Inn or Red Roof.....much smaller!

Edited by cb at sea

You're talking about 6000 passengers vs 2900 passengers. The Celebrity cruise would probably be better for your grandmother as it would be less overwhelming. You're concerned about being stuck on a ship full of 50-somethings yet you're going on a cruise with your 88 year old grandmother??? Good luck with that, I couldn't do it.

Have not cruised Celebrity, but from what I have read, I think everyone is giving you good advice.

However, we did a back-to-back on the Allure last October and found a number of large family groups with all ages.

The shows - ice show, aqua show, Chicago, etc. were very good and although we had been on the ship previously and seen them, we still went and thoroughly enjoyed. I think RC may have an edge in this area.

The main dining room is not as good as it used to be - but it wasn't that bad either! Food is very subjective. Our service was excellent. We did enjoy a night at Chops and Giovanni's.

Would not "over do" the islands or shore excursions. It doesn't make any difference how many people are on your ship - if there are several ships in port then the excursions are crowded. The peacefulness of the ship when everyone is ashore is very relaxing. Spent the best part of a day in the solarium with only a couple of people in the pool until around 3:00 p.m. when everyone started coming back to the ship.

A lot might depend on the type of cabin you are planning to book. A suite would really be nice (not a junior suite - does not include concierge lounge). On the Allure and Oasis the concierge lounge is really nice - breakfast and lunch each day were excellent - grandma might feel more "pampered" there. Plus the evening cocktail party is also well attended and enjoyable.

Whatever you choose - enjoy - you will make lots of memories!

I have taken my 80 year old Mother-in-law on a cruise as her Christmas gift the past three years. She is legally blind from macular degeneration, diabetic, wears hearing aids, and needs a restroom frequently. Yes it is a lot of work to take her cruising. No, it is not anything like the cruises that my husband and I enjoy together the rest of the year! But I would not trade one moment of it. This past cruise she had to use a walker, and that was a big change for her. She also has now realized that she cannot go on a group cruise from her senior snowbirds park, as she is unable to handle things on her own. That made her very sad, so I am happy that I can continue to give her a cruising experience each year.

So go and take your Grandma on the vacation of her life! Spend time doing what she wants to do, and do it with an open mind. Talk to her. Ask her all the questions you can think of, because in a few years she won't be around to ask. Don't worry about being bored - either of you! You have each other and an unlimited number of topics to talk about. Enjoy!!! :)

I took my 89 year old Mother on Allure and she loved it. There is so much to do and see. and after the first day it didn't seem the least crowded. She loved the ice shows, diving show and music at Central Park at night. As for dining you could do the specialty restaurants rather than the main dining room. I have never been on Celebrity and would first find out about the sea day activities before I made my decision.

Agree with all the other Posters that state that it's all about Grandma and Celebrity is the better choice. However no one has posed the question as to who is actually financing the cruise ? Guessing it's Grandma . Therefore more the reason that the cruise is all about Grandma !

Edited by xxoocruiser

I guess I have a different point of view than the others... I'm saying Oasis... My mom (81) and I were on the Oasis the first week of December and it was great. It was not crowded -- it is a HUGE ship and other than boarding day... never felt crowded. The entertainment is top notch... and the seating for disabled and elderly is great... good views and easily accessible. Elevators are quick and rarely crowded. Central Park became a favorite place for us when the winds and sun were 'too much' up on deck. I suggest the following...

If she prefers 5* hotels... then book a suite.

Do all your entertainment reservations ahead of time.

Schedule in a nap or resting time daily.

On boarding day DON"T go to the Windjammer (in fact avoid it the entire trip) - Rather... eat lunch in the Park Café or the specialty restaurant that is open on boarding day.

Do traditional dining... at a table for 6 to 8... you'll have others to talk to... and the table isn't too large for conversation.

Every day... explore a different section of the ship. Make sure you look for hidden 'art'

If she ever uses a walker... take it on the cruise.

Schedule a nap or resting time daily.

If she needs assistance going up the steep ramps... insist she has wheelchair assistance for boarding and departure. It will save YOU!!! and it will help her get off to a good start.

If she has any special needs... notify the special needs department!

On sea days, eat lunch in the dining room. It is nice to be waited on.

We tried to eat in the Windjammer once.. and walked out... too crowded... there are way too many other venues for food to wait in line!

I think the Oasis is brilliant for an older person! And you can't find better entertainment!!

Good luck...and whatever you decide... enjoy your cruise! You are blessed to have a grandmother to spend time with... what a joy!

I'm with LindaO - I recommend the Oasis. If possible book out of season. If you book the summer book as early summer as possible, think end of May or early June OR late summer - end of August early Sept. Book a suite, dine at the specialty restaurants a few times and book your show reservations online before the cruise. You can always change the times once you board. The only show you might not be able to get into at the last minute is the comedy show. The ship is spectacular and it's something to do for all age groups. I loved Central park, the solarium and the boardwalk. The ship is huge so besides boarding being congested the crowds were dispersed in the different "neighborhoods" so I didn't feel like 6000 people. Brilliant planning by RCCL.

Ask your grandmother her thoughts. You might be surprised with her answer.

Congratulations to you for understanding this opportunity to spend with your Gma is precious and valuable. Safe travels and happy planning.

I guess I have a different point of view than the others... I'm saying Oasis... My mom (81) and I were on the Oasis the first week of December and it was great. It was not crowded -- it is a HUGE ship and other than boarding day... never felt crowded. The entertainment is top notch... and the seating for disabled and elderly is great... good views and easily accessible. Elevators are quick and rarely crowded. Central Park became a favorite place for us when the winds and sun were 'too much' up on deck. I suggest the following...

If she prefers 5* hotels... then book a suite.

Do all your entertainment reservations ahead of time.

Schedule in a nap or resting time daily.

On boarding day DON"T go to the Windjammer (in fact avoid it the entire trip) - Rather... eat lunch in the Park Café or the specialty restaurant that is open on boarding day.

Do traditional dining... at a table for 6 to 8... you'll have others to talk to... and the table isn't too large for conversation.

Every day... explore a different section of the ship. Make sure you look for hidden 'art'

If she ever uses a walker... take it on the cruise.

Schedule a nap or resting time daily.

If she needs assistance going up the steep ramps... insist she has wheelchair assistance for boarding and departure. It will save YOU!!! and it will help her get off to a good start.

If she has any special needs... notify the special needs department!

On sea days, eat lunch in the dining room. It is nice to be waited on.

We tried to eat in the Windjammer once.. and walked out... too crowded... there are way too many other venues for food to wait in line!

I think the Oasis is brilliant for an older person! And you can't find better entertainment!!

Good luck...and whatever you decide... enjoy your cruise! You are blessed to have a grandmother to spend time with... what a joy!

RIGHT ON!! I took my mother (87) and her aide last year on the Allure. She was at that time in a wheelchair and loved the cruise. She never left the ship, loved the shows, loved Central Park, got them a Central Park Bal. room so if she wanted she would sit outside and watch the action below. Also I agree, just do the speciality restaurants and maybe the MDR for formal nights. I would make sure that school is in session when you book your cruise and also as TA about the school breaks in South America as we went in the 2nd week of Jan but the ship was full of SA families as it was a school break there. We had no problem, but maybe a bit to much noise for your Grandma.

I'm with LindaO - I recommend the Oasis. If possible book out of season. If you book the summer book as early summer as possible, think end of May or early June OR late summer - end of August early Sept. Book a suite, dine at the specialty restaurants a few times and book your show reservations online before the cruise. You can always change the times once you board. The only show you might not be able to get into at the last minute is the comedy show. The ship is spectacular and it's something to do for all age groups. I loved Central park, the solarium and the boardwalk. The ship is huge so besides boarding being congested the crowds were dispersed in the different "neighborhoods" so I didn't feel like 6000 people. Brilliant planning by RCCL.

Ask your grandmother her thoughts. You might be surprised with her answer.

Congratulations to you for understanding this opportunity to spend with your Gma is precious and valuable. Safe travels and happy planning.

Why not just let her read this thread before deciding. There are pros and cons for both. Which ever you choose I hope you both have a wonderful time!

You haven't mentioned if she has any mobility issues. Does she use cane? Walk up steps? Walk long distances? etc. If so, this would determine excursions, what to do at ports and what ship to pick(if needs wheelchair accessible cabin).

Even if she has none of the mobility issues listed above, she may still want to rent/buy rollator or wheelchair for the cruise. What you and she considers "energetic", can wilt in the face of long walks, ramps, stairs, etc. This happened with my Dad on first cruise and limited what he could do.

You might need to lower her expectations- I am not impressed with any food or rooms on cruiselines and I don't travel in luxurious manner.

My best memories with Dad is on our cruises, but we do it at his pace. In Europe, we take private tours and I research where he can go in wheelchair and then he sometimes waits in car while I jump out to get photos/or quick look at a church.