Taking Grandmother on first cruise - need advice!

abert89

Hello all,

I registered here because I am currently planning to take my 88-year-old Grandmother on her first cruise and am conflicted on which way to go. I'm 22, have only been on one other cruise (Holland America to Alaska when I was 12), and know absolutely nothing about cruising. I visited with a travel agent today, who helped me narrow down my choices to Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas or Celebrity Silhouette. We're planning on doing the seven night Eastern Caribbean trip.

My grandmother is concerned that Royal Caribbean will be too noisy/crowded, or "lower class," as she says (sorry if that offends). She's accustomed to staying in extremely nice hotels and is concerned that the Oasis won't provide the 5 star experience she likes. This is where Celebrity seems like the better option.

However, at 22, I'm concerned about being stuck on a ship full of 50-somethings with no one to talk to and nothing to do. The Oasis appears to have so many activities, excursions, shows, nightclubs, etc... nonstop activity. I remember being bored to death on my family's Holland America trip and don't want a repeat of that experience.

What do you all think is the best way to go? Food quality is also important to my grandmother, and she's read that the food on the Oasis isn't nearly as good as on the Celebrity line. Like I said, she's accustomed to luxury and wants to enjoy fine dining, spa service, drinks by the pool, shopping, etc, but I want to make sure there are also plenty of activities for us to enjoy.

All-in-all I just want this to be a great vacation for the two of us and need to find a happy medium - a cruise that will suit both of us. As I'm starting school in the fall, this will likely be our last trip together while her health is still good and while I have the time to spend with her.

Any and all opinions/suggestions/feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you so much!

Unfortunately, you want a cruise that right in the middle and unfortunate neither Oasis nor Celebrity will fit the bill perfectly. It's like comparing apples to oranges. Your are 22 and want lots of fun young activities and your grandmother wants upscale cruise experience. If you go on Celebrity it will be an older coupled crowd with a few younger folks and kids. With the Oasis you will get a mixed crowd from young to old with a ship that has the WOW factor, but maybe too big and mediocre for your grandmother's taste. Will you get bored on Celebrity?..well maybe, but maybe not. The demographics are not in your favor. You just need to plan for it and bring things to keep you entertained. Celebrity ships are absolutely beautiful, refined and elegant whereas the Oasis that has all the bells and whistles like the rock climbing wall, ice skating rink, surf pool, high diving pool, elevator bar, etc. Now with the Oasis you can get more upscale accommodation like mini-suites or two story Crown loft suites and go to the upscale "pay" restaurants to satisfy your grandmother's gourmet pallet and luxury taste. If you go on Oasis she just needs to understand it's big and very active ship. I don't know your budget nor do you say who is paying for this. If she is paying for this trip then you are going to have to let her decide what ship both of you are going on. If it's 50/50 then you both are going to have to sit down and compromise this out between the two of you. If you both can't agree then maybe a cruise isn't the best option.

I guess I have a different point of view than the others... I'm saying Oasis... My mom (81) and I were on the Oasis the first week of December and it was great. It was not crowded -- it is a HUGE ship and other than boarding day... never felt crowded. The entertainment is top notch... and the seating for disabled and elderly is great... good views and easily accessible. Elevators are quick and rarely crowded. Central Park became a favorite place for us when the winds and sun were 'too much' up on deck. I suggest the following...

If she prefers 5* hotels... then book a suite.

Do all your entertainment reservations ahead of time.

Schedule in a nap or resting time daily.

On boarding day DON"T go to the Windjammer (in fact avoid it the entire trip) - Rather... eat lunch in the Park Café or the specialty restaurant that is open on boarding day.

Do traditional dining... at a table for 6 to 8... you'll have others to talk to... and the table isn't too large for conversation.

Every day... explore a different section of the ship. Make sure you look for hidden 'art'

If she ever uses a walker... take it on the cruise.

Schedule a nap or resting time daily.

If she needs assistance going up the steep ramps... insist she has wheelchair assistance for boarding and departure. It will save YOU!!! and it will help her get off to a good start.

If she has any special needs... notify the special needs department!

On sea days, eat lunch in the dining room. It is nice to be waited on.

We tried to eat in the Windjammer once.. and walked out... too crowded... there are way too many other venues for food to wait in line!

I think the Oasis is brilliant for an older person! And you can't find better entertainment!!

Good luck...and whatever you decide... enjoy your cruise! You are blessed to have a grandmother to spend time with... what a joy!

I agree with LindO - Oasis is fabulous and she gave wonderful advice. That being said, I travelled with my mother-in-law numerous times when she was in her 80's and she loved the Oasis and Allure. Your grandmother sounds a lot like her - very active, wants to be busy, bars, entertainment etc.. She loved it all. Take all of LindaO's advice. Get a suite above the junior suite so you have access to the concierge's lounge, try the specialty restaurants, do the Chef's Table and make your reservations for the show - all are wonderful. You can book all your shows around the 9:00 hour and eat at the 6:00 traditional time. The solarium will be a wonderful place to hang out and has a restaurant that is great to eat at. We leave the end of March on the Oasis for the fourth time and LOVE the ship. You can do as much or as little as you like and it is an AMAZING ship. Whatever you decide, have a wonderful time.

I am posting in favor of Celebrity. We have done pretty much all the mainstream lines and we all agree (DS is 20, DH is 75) that we prefer Celebrity for all categories. We tend to travel for the ports so go with the line that has the itinerary that we want but if we were choosing by line, three votes for Celebrity.

Hello all,

I registered here because I am currently planning to take my 88-year-old Grandmother on her first cruise and am conflicted on which way to go. I'm 22, have only been on one other cruise (Holland America to Alaska when I was 12), and know absolutely nothing about cruising. I visited with a travel agent today, who helped me narrow down my choices to Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas or Celebrity Silhouette. We're planning on doing the seven night Eastern Caribbean trip.

My grandmother is concerned that Royal Caribbean will be too noisy/crowded, or "lower class," as she says (sorry if that offends). She's accustomed to staying in extremely nice hotels and is concerned that the Oasis won't provide the 5 star experience she likes. This is where Celebrity seems like the better option.

However, at 22, I'm concerned about being stuck on a ship full of 50-somethings with no one to talk to and nothing to do. The Oasis appears to have so many activities, excursions, shows, nightclubs, etc... nonstop activity. I remember being bored to death on my family's Holland America trip and don't want a repeat of that experience.

What do you all think is the best way to go? Food quality is also important to my grandmother, and she's read that the food on the Oasis isn't nearly as good as on the Celebrity line. Like I said, she's accustomed to luxury and wants to enjoy fine dining, spa service, drinks by the pool, shopping, etc, but I want to make sure there are also plenty of activities for us to enjoy.

All-in-all I just want this to be a great vacation for the two of us and need to find a happy medium - a cruise that will suit both of us. As I'm starting school in the fall, this will likely be our last trip together while her health is still good and while I have the time to spend with her.

Any and all opinions/suggestions/feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you so much!

But if your grandmother is 88 I would think the cruise would have to be about her and not you. Honestly sounds like you should be catering to your grandmother at this point. If she is a vibrant 88 and can be on her own for long stretches ok if not make her cruise memorable, you have plenty of time for future cruises.

My parents love RCI and I always take them along when we cruise. They could care less about "quality" of the food or accommodations. All that matters to them is the family spending a week together. Oasis and Allure are amazing ships. My parents love them. Maybe your grandmother should concentrate more on the fact that she is spending a week together with her granddaughter and not being quite so concerned with what she is "accustomed" to. Just a thought.

Depending on her physical condition, the Oasis might be too big. My mother is 86, and the Liberty of the seas was pushing the limit. I would recommend one of the smaller Royal Caribbean ships, and I further suggest a state room near an elevator for your grandmother. There'll be plenty of activities for you!

Jane (from the duo Dick and Jane)

Chicago, Illinois

Good point, perhaps that came out wrong. I suppose what I mean is that I want to make sure there is enough for us to do onboard. Even though my grandmother is 88, she's an extremely active 88-year-old, and is definitely interested in excursions, bars, pools, shows, etc. Ideally we'd like to find a hybrid - a cruise that blends luxury and entertainment.

I absolutely want this to be the vacation of a lifetime for her, something she'll remember fondly for the rest of her life. This very well may be her last big trip and I really appreciate you taking the time to fill me in! :)

I would suggest Royal I am older was on the Brilliance wonderful food a lot of fine entertainment many things to do for all ages. :)

The Oasis or Allure - if you can afford a full (not junior) suite will give something of a luxury experience. There is a concierge lounge with breakfast, lunch and happy hour for suite guests. There are two concierges to help with restaurant and other reservations. One really nice thing about cruising is not having to open the wallet all the time.

Took my mom of 82 on Celebrity and she loved loved loved it! I booked a couple excursions with her in mind and myself also. I wanted to snorkel - she was pleased as punch going on the small boat for the morning/afternoon and visiting with the other people, watching us snorkel, and all enjoying the sea breeze and seeing the turtles. Another port, booked a tour of the island and visit to some of the main sites - again - a hit! I booked all excursions privately (with the help of our roll call) so we were in small groups and cars/vans (no buses and large groups). So I think you can plan things that will be pleasant for both of you. Celebrity size was perfect for "Mom" and she loved getting dress for dinner and going to the shows. We didn't push the agenda and she felt like it was a spectacular vacation.

Recommend flying in a day early and getting a nice hotel. This allows time to recover from the travel and be fresh for boarding the next day (no rush was the key to everything).

I also have been on the Allure and I wish she were still here today as I would book her for that class ship also. Nevertheless - have a good time planning a few surprises.

Guest maddycat

I'd recommend that you book Celebrity. If it's with in your budget, book Aqua class. With Aqua class you'll be dining in Blue. IMO a much nicer dining experience than the main dining room. Celebrity has good entertainment. Usually very good guest lecturers. The ship will be more refined and a bit more formal than RCI. Excellent service on both lines.

You know your grandmother better than any of us. I would suggest that you include her in the decision making process in every detail.

First, ask her to read this thread.

Second, have her read the Member Reviews of the cruises people have completed on the ships/cruise lines you are considering.

Then together decide on the itinerary/ship together.

You are a wonderful person for being so willing to plan this cruise with your Grandmother. I'm sure you will make happy memories together.

Don't forget to take a camera with you. Take lots of pictures and have pictures taken of the two of you together.

Happy Cruising!