Almaplena and Nohoch Kay?

PrincessJen

Is it possible to do snorkeling from Nohoch Kay and spend the rest of the day at Almaplena? I know there is snorkeling at Almaplena but we don't have our own gear and I'm not a strong swimmer so a life vest is a must. I know Nohoch Kay has a beach (which is were the snorkel tour launches from) but the water is nicer and free of grass at Almaplena. Our boat is docked 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Thank you!

Try Mitsugirly's wonderful reviews. (tons of pictures and great insights)

She has been to both places and loves to snorkel. (hopefully she will jump in and can answer some direct questions for you.)

Nohoch Kay starts halfway down this page.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1851647&page=19

Almaplena starts about halfway down this page...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=10

Hope the info and pictures from those reviews help get you started.

Is it possible to do snorkeling from Nohoch Kay and spend the rest of the day at Almaplena? I know there is snorkeling at Almaplena but we don't have our own gear and I'm not a strong swimmer so a life vest is a must. I know Nohoch Kay has a beach (which is were the snorkel tour launches from) but the water is nicer and free of grass at Almaplena. Our boat is docked 8:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Thank you!

My understanding is that you can only use the beach of Nohoch Kay if you are doing their AI or one of their excursions, since they limit their capacity. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will chime in momentarily. ;)

Thank you!

In short, NO. Almapena is another 10+ minute taxi ride from Nohoch Kay. It is south of the malecon. Both are A.I.s so you would ahve to pay both A.I. fees. IMO, the snorkeling at Almaplena might be better. Not a fan of snorkeling along the malecon. There's some nice things but lots of traffic. We love NK because we know Jaime the owner and his staff treats you with great respect and attentive service. But if you want to avoid seagrass and any malecon crowds and beach vendors, head to Almaplena and hang there all day.

My understanding is that you can only use the beach of Nohoch Kay if you are doing their AI or one of their excursions, since they limit their capacity. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will chime in momentarily. ;)

Technically this is correct, but the beach is full access from anywhere along the malecon. So you can walk along the beach, malecon or go along the water anywhere you want. You just can't park you stuff at NK or get service there unless you've reserved the A.I.. But again, NK and Almaplena are not close to each other.

I personally prefer Almaplena. It is just so gorgeous there and the water is an amazing blue and very clear. I just don't care for the water at the malecon. It isn't too private either since you are on a beach on a strip with other beach clubs and people walking around. But that's just my opinion on how I felt about the place.

There really wasn't much snorkeling to be done at Nohoch. You can walk on the water way out and it's still at your feet/ankles/knees. There are areas that drop in a round "pool like" area, maybe 5' across here and there. But it was hard to "swim" in. So unless you are paying more on top of the AI access to do a snorkel tour away from the malecon, I don't see much snorkeling to be done. It's mostly sea grass there. Also, if you just planned on snorkeling there at the beach, you would still need your own equipment. I never seen them renting any there.

Almaplena is 20 minutes away from the port.

Here's a map showing the location:

almaplena-L.jpg

We'll be in Costa Maya in April on the Carnival Dream. Our time in port is from 12 -8. I'd love to go to Almaplena but not sure we have enough time. We want time on a beach with nice water. I've seen photos of some other resorts and the water just isn't that beautiful blue and full of grass. Any thoughts or suggestions?

We'll be in Costa Maya in April on the Carnival Dream. Our time in port is from 12 -8. I'd love to go to Almaplena but not sure we have enough time. We want time on a beach with nice water. I've seen photos of some other resorts and the water just isn't that beautiful blue and full of grass. Any thoughts or suggestions?

You're there from 12 to 8 and you don't think you'll have enough time? :eek: I know the place is gorgeous and you might not want to leave, but I think you'll have enough time to enjoy the place. :) If you are wanting clear blue water, this is your place.

Thanks, I'm going to book it. I guess I was worried about it getting dark when returning and not sure of the travel time to and from port.

I personally would consider it awesome if you could watch the sunset. What awesome pictures. :D

It only takes 20 minutes to get to the port. :)

• 1 month later...
did you tip at Almaplena? If so who did you tip and if you don't mind me asking how much is good?

Thanks much

Donna

Honestly, I don't remember how much or who my husband gave it to. I don't even think I ask him how much it was. Everyone tips at their own discretion of what they feel their service was worth, so it's totally up to you.