Tendering in Roatan off the Norwegian Dawn

Jesteraak

I've searched around and it seems like it's a crap shoot as to whether or not the Dawn will tender in Roatan when I sail next week. The cruise itinerary states that the ship will indeed tender, but I've also read that may not be the case and really depends on how many other ships are there.

I haven't been on a big cruise like this in well over ten years and am a little concerned about excursions I've booked exclusive of NCL and being able to make them on time.

How does the tendering process work? I imagine it's a bit of a logistical nightmare to offload upwards of 2,000 people on what I'm assuming are skiffs. Is there a way to guarantee when you'll get off the ship on a tender? What have been your experiences?

Thanks!

I've searched around and it seems like it's a crap shoot as to whether or not the Dawn will tender in Roatan when I sail next week. The cruise itinerary states that the ship will indeed tender, but I've also read that may not be the case and really depends on how many other ships are there.

I haven't been on a big cruise like this in well over ten years and am a little concerned about excursions I've booked exclusive of NCL and being able to make them on time.

How does the tendering process work? I imagine it's a bit of a logistical nightmare to offload upwards of 2,000 people on what I'm assuming are skiffs. Is there a way to guarantee when you'll get off the ship on a tender? What have been your experiences?

Thanks!

If you have purchased an excursion from Norwegian, your excursion ticket will tell you what time to meet and where. In Roatan, if you tender probably they will use the ship's life boats to tender. You should make your excursion without a problem.

Have a great cruise.

I just sailed The Dawn 2 times in a 9 month span and docked both times. My info also said tender. I don't think you will have anything to worry about. As mentioned above it is a very short tender if it happens.

There is only room for one ship to dock at the pier at Coxen Hole (Roatan). If there are multiple ships scheduled, they usually rotate week-to-week on what ship gets to use the pier. As mentioned, the tender ride is very short, perhaps the shortest tender ride I have ever experienced.

Your excursion ticket will also be your tender ticket. It will be in your cabin when you board or shortly thereafter. Follow the instructions on the excursion ticket. It will tell you where to meet and at what time.

It sounds like the OP booked his excursions directly, and not through NCL. In that case you'd just need to make sure you get an early tender. If you happen to be in a suite, you'd have priority tender access. Otherwise it's just a matter of going to pickup your tender tickets as soon as they make them available. Since the tenders are such a short trip, in the unlikely event you end up tendering, you should still be fine.

When tendering, NCL will hand out tender tickets that morning. There will be notices in the daily newsletter and announcements that morning. Only one person in your party needs to go to get tickets for all.

When the tendering starts, there will be announcements of the range of ticket numbers being called.

Passengers stand in line to board the tenders...sometimes the lines are long. I have never seen the actual tickets checked while in line to board the tenders.

If tendering is moving smoothly and the trip is not long, it goes quite quickly. After the early morning rush, the ticket numbers are not used.

You can check the port status at Coxen hole online to see what ships are scheduled. If only your ship, no tendering. If more than one, you won't know in advance. check this out as an example for 2014:

http://www.cruiseportinsider.com/roatanschedule2014.html#.Uw3uEuNdUWM

It sounds like the OP booked his excursions directly, and not through NCL. In that case you'd just need to make sure you get an early tender. If you happen to be in a suite, you'd have priority tender access. Otherwise it's just a matter of going to pickup your tender tickets as soon as they make them available. Since the tenders are such a short trip, in the unlikely event you end up tendering, you should still be fine.

That's correct, I booked all my excursions independent of NCL. I saved a bunch of money and it the ones I chose came highly recommended from various sources. It sounds like I shouldn't have to worry. Thanks for the info!

" I saved a bunch of money"

And if one of the tours is late getting back and the last tender has left what will be the cost to get to the next port.

That is one of the reasons that I am loathe to take private excursions where tendering is involved.

Cheers

Dennis

" I saved a bunch of money"

And if one of the tours is late getting back and the last tender has left what will be the cost to get to the next port.

That is one of the reasons that I am loathe to take private excursions where tendering is involved.

Cheers

Dennis

None of the tours I booked had any reviews that indicated people were left behind. Operators wouldn't be in business very long if they made people late for their ship. I also read that a lot of the money that you spend on cruise line sponsored excursions do not do well for the locals in that the cruise line takes a huge cut and leaves the local ops with very little, which is kinda sucky. It doesn't look like the Dawn will be tendering in Roatan next week, and even still it's a pretty short ride so I an not too worried.

None of the tours I booked had any reviews that indicated people were left behind. Operators wouldn't be in business very long if they made people late for their ship. I also read that a lot of the money that you spend on cruise line sponsored excursions do not do well for the locals in that the cruise line takes a huge cut and leaves the local ops with very little, which is kinda sucky. It doesn't look like the Dawn will be tendering in Roatan next week, and even still it's a pretty short ride so I an not too worried.

Good for you. That leaving you behind stuff is mostly a myth and rarely ever happens. Scare tactics to keep the sheep paying a lot more purchasing thru the cruise line.