Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

Now we are VERY easy going travelers--little gets to us. TRULY. (we have commented that the broken down Carnival Cruise would have been an adventure to talk about for years...)

This should sound familiar...

But on the Mariner we were trying to do a family photo on the staircase outside the theatre one afternoon. 12 of us, so big deal. As people exited the theatre they simply walked right up the stairs in the middle of our photo shoot--AND THERE WERE STAIRS JUST AROUND THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ELEVATOR! I would have understood if other stairs were not easily accessible...Honestly the photographer should have cordoned off the area. But I LOST IT. Yep, I'm sure I was the b*tch many were talking about....

"situational awarenss" fits this perfectly...

Edited by KKB

"(It's rude to tell a person they are being rude.)"

It is not rude to tell someone else they are rude--it is all in the delivery.

We live in an ever increasingly rude world & I think it is in part that too many feel it is rude to address rudeness.

(yes, I was rude in response to other's rudeness, for sure--I tried to politely redirect people "there are stairs just around the corner...)", but people's blatant disregard over & over pushed me over. Not right on my part, at all, I take full responsibility)

While I have certainly witnessed some very rude behavior one event that stands out in my mind is the 20 something year old woman who literally put her two hands at the small of my back and pushed me forward because she was in a hurry to get her sandwich in the buffet line. Never could I imagine any young woman would think they had any business putting a hand on a stranger let alone pushing them.

I've never been known as a diplomat and have no problems telling rude people off. I'm not in a popularity contest when it comes to doing this and I gave up trying to win the ships Miss Congeniality contest years ago.

Edited by Gunner22aa

While its very unlikely someone became blind because of a cameras flash, I'm in no place to offer a medical opinion because I am not a doctor nor the person it supposedly happend to, even though I've stayed in Hilton hotels. 8)

If you walked in front of a "pro" flash setup then just maybe you were in the wrong, even though the photographer should have either had a gopher to stop people or if the ships person they should have blocked it off.

As for the comments about "colonials" I sure as snap hope thats a joke, I've been in england & germany & have found many there just as rude as other countries. Rudeness is not just americans, it applies to all countries so lay off the colonials commments.

Me, I tend to be the witch with a b & even worse.. I've told people I have tourettes because I can spout off vulugarities no sweat, being ex military & a buttkicker. 8/

Sides, someone pushes me to that point then I dont care anymore about being "PC", they get what they deserve.

As a photographer, I try to be aware of people stepping in front of me, & unless its something that may not happen again (think things like whales breaching when they shouldnt be there, etc) I try to give people chances to pass in front of me & I try to always thank those that stop to let me shoot, or tell them to go ahead if I know I dont have the shot. But I've seen others just blindly walking along in a zombie like state, not caring about what others may be doing, or concentrating on their electronic devices.

Rudeness comes in all forms & ALL nationalities, not just use "colonials". And yes, my mothers family does go back to the original colonists & native indians, & my dads the vikings. 8p

I'm offended by all the people who sole purpose in life is to be offended by every little thing and they think the world evolves just for them.

CC cruisers seem to be an easily offended lot.

+10

Geesh in the scheme of life when you are dying are you going to remember who ran onto a full elevator? But you are right, there are a lot here.

I use to be amazed but now simply amused..

So, if someone wants to take a flash picture they would need to ask your permission? if camera flashes really caused eye problems where are all the blind people? as far as I know none of the supermodels of the world are blind.

The super models of the world have their photographs taken by professional photographers who use top of the range cameras. these cameras use a feature which emits a series of small flashes to prepare the iris/retina for the big flash that is coming thereby eliminating "red eye". I was flashed by a phone-camera which gave no warning of the impending flash.

I don't understand what staying at the Hilton or Holiday Inn has to do with being rude. Am I just really stupid?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They are referring to a Holiday Inn Express commercial. Where they make you think you are smart because you stayed at one.

Typical colonial. I was walking from one side of the room to the other side. The photographer in question suddenly raised her camera to take that "all important" happy snap. never mind who was going to be inconveinienced by her action. if I could have found her I would have instigated litigation.

If you got a good plaintiffs whor@ ophthalmologist and a good plaintiff attorney [watch some 3 a.m. TV] you could cruise for free forever. I bet you've never been able to go outside on a sunny day if a camera flash gave you permanent damage.

Besides, you would never go after an individual - go after the camera company for making a flash that does not automatically stop when a person is in the immediate vicinity ... or the cruise line for allowing flash photography. But to "institute litigation" - an individual, unless its one of the 1% wouldn't warrant a case as the return to the plaintiff attorney would not be significant enough.

Geez I babble, hope you've got good glasses!!!

While I have certainly witnessed some very rude behavior one event that stands out in my mind is the 20 something year old woman who literally put her two hands at the small of my back and pushed me forward because she was in a hurry to get her sandwich in the buffet line. Never could I imagine any young woman would think they had any business putting a hand on a stranger let alone pushing them.

sail7seas, I must have had your 'pushers' mother behind me at the buffet! I also could not believe the woman put her hands on the small of my back. :mad::rolleyes:

They are referring to a Holiday Inn Express commercial. Where they make you think you are smart because you stayed at one.

That would explain why I don't understand. I haven't watched TV in years. Sorry, I know it's a pain to have to explain everything to those of us that are not in the know. I am grateful for this thread though. It is helpful to know what irks others so I don't do it on my cruise. Thanks for all the responses.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Okay, how's this for rude...True story.

So it's the first night of our cruise, the DH and I go find our seats in the MDR at a table for 8. We like to sit with others and meet new people. When everyone was seated, we all went around the table and introduced ourselves. There was this younger married couple at the table, in their early 20s probably. When it came time for the young woman to introduce herself she says, "What does it matter, we're going to move to another table." Her DH was so embarrassed, he whispered to her, "Please don't be rude." She got mad, got up from the table and walked over to the Maitre d's booth, which was behind me, and said, "We want to move to another table!" The Maitre d' asked, "What is the problem?" This young woman says, "We don't want to sit with old people." So I said, "We can hear you." She ignores me and says to the Maitre d', "I don't care, old people have all kind of diseases!" Whoa! So I look at the DH, he looks at me, and we just started laughing and couldn't stop. The other couples at the table started laughing too. The woman's DH gets up and told his wife how rude she was and took her by the arm and they left the dining room. Meanwhile, we were all laughing and couldn't stop. She was so blatantly rude that there was nothing else we could do. So it because a running joke at our table the next night..."Hey Al, what disease do you have?" "Oh, I have really bad dandruff but don't worry, I won't let it fall into your soup." Then it would go to the next person, "So Reina, what disease do you have?" "Oh I have such and such disease but don't worry, I won't let it fall into your soup." And on and on it went around the table. We had so much fun with our table mates every night talking about all the fake diseases we had, which always ended with, "But don't worry, I won't let it fall into your soup." So much fun. :D Oh and by-the-way, the DH and I were in our early 40s at the time! LOL!

Edited by mousey
  • Like 1

Okay, how's this for rude...True story.

So it's the first night of our cruise, the DH and I go find our seats in the MDR at a table for 8. We like to sit with others and meet new people. When everyone was seated, we all went around the table and introduced ourselves. There was this younger married couple at the table, in their early 20s probably. When it came time for the young woman to introduce herself she says, "What does it matter, we're going to move to another table." Her DH was so embarrassed, he whispered to her, "Please don't be rude." She got mad, got up from the table and walked over to the Maitre d's booth, which was behind me, and said, "We want to move to another table!" The Maitre d' asked, "What is the problem?" This young woman says, "We don't want to sit with old people." So I said, "We can hear you." She ignores me and says to the Maitre d', "I don't care, old people have all kind of diseases!" Whoa! So I look at the DH, he looks at me, and we just started laughing and couldn't stop. The other couples at the table started laughing too. The woman's DH gets up and told his wife how rude she was and took her by the arm and they left the dining room. Meanwhile, we were all laughing and couldn't stop. She was so blatantly rude that there was nothing else we could do. So it because a running joke at our table the next night..."Hey Al, what disease do you have?" "Oh, I have really bad dandruff but don't worry, I won't let it fall into your soup." Then it would go to the next person, "So Reina, what disease do you have?" "Oh I have such and such disease but don't worry, I won't let it fall into your soup." And on and on it went around the table. We had so much fun with our table mates every night talking about all the fake diseases we had, which always ended with, "But don't worry, I won't let it fall into your soup." So much fun. :D Oh and by-the-way, the DH and I were in our early 40s at the time! LOL!

Makes you wonder how long the young couple remained married. :rolleyes: Your reaction was perfect - she definitely needed to be put in her place.

they have you looking for a blonde hair and they have a blonde employee in the area.. duh I would have found the humor in it.

That's not funny, technically it's assault. He should have asked her for a hair, not just walked over and yanked one out of her head.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

The young couple who didn't want to sit with old people reminded me of the time a couple walked up to our table and the woman said, "you'd think they would sit us suite passengers with better people."

We were moving to a table for two the next night so I don't know what happened after that night. To say the conversation was strained is an understatement.

The people that use those motarized wheelchairs can be very rude in a grocery store and the same goes for a cruise ship! Just because you are in a wheelchair doesn't mean that you get to do whatever you want. I have no problem with giving people their space, but when you back me up against the elevator wall, I just really want to tell you exactly what I think. It also irks my nerves when parents just let their kids run wild! I teach 5th grade...I know that kids are perfectly capable of behaving! But in spite of the rude people that I sometimes encounter, I still love my cruises!

The rudest person I ever encountered was a man who sat down at the table of eight (MTD) and introduced his extreme political opinion as the topic of conversation. When others disagreed, he shouted them down. When several table mates (including his wife) asked him to agree to change the subject, he refused, and continued to badger people with his opinions. It was the most uncomfortable meal I can remember.

No one has the right to impose their views on others who simply came to share a civilized dinner.

The people that use those motarized wheelchairs can be very rude in a grocery store and the same goes for a cruise ship! Just because you are in a wheelchair doesn't mean that you get to do whatever you want. I have no problem with giving people their space, but when you back me up against the elevator wall, I just really want to tell you exactly what I think!

There are probably reasons I haven't thought of, but I sometimes wonder why people in wheelchairs or on scooters get priority boarding at check in. They are sitting down, right?

I heard a guy bragging once that he'd sit his wife in a wheelchair she didn't need at airports and go to the front of the line at security.

And sadly, a family member did the same thing at Disney World and thought it was very clever.

The rudest person I ever encountered was a man who sat down at the table of eight (MTD) and introduced his extreme political opinion as the topic of conversation. When others disagreed, he shouted them down. When several table mates (including his wife) asked him to agree to change the subject, he refused, and continued to badger people with his opinions. It was the most uncomfortable meal I can remember.

No one has the right to impose their views on others who simply came to share a civilized dinner.

My dear departed mother always said that there were three subjects that should never be discussed at the table: sex, religion, and politics. Looks like this guy was missing something in his upbringing.

That's not funny, technically it's assault. He should have asked her for a hair, not just walked over and yanked one out of her head.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

NO, technically it's battery.

lighten up folks.. probably wasn't a real blonde hair anyways.