Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

You don't have to be using a wheelchair or scooter to get smacked in the head by one of those fully-loaded "bug-out" backpacks! As a woman who stands just under 5'2", I've been nearly knocked over by those, on more than one occasion. Usually, it's a close quarters situation (crowds, queues, etc) and the person wearing the backpack suddenly turns around, totally oblivious to the folks nearby!:eek:

YES! I could have written this post myself. At 5' tall, I spend what feels like half my life dodging other people's backpacks (I work on a college campus). Airplanes are the absolute worst, with cruises a close second. Please have enough situational awareness to avoid those around you when wearing one of those things. Some of them are really heavy, and it HURTS when they smack you in the face, especially at a high rate of speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So the only method to medically evac a dying passenger is to turn the ship around vs sending out a rescue boat or helicopter?

During our cruise an older passenger was medevac'd off the ship by helicopter. At night. The chopper doesn't actually land on the ship; the crew prepares a litter for the patient with cargo lifting straps on a clear area on the upper deck of the fantail, the copter lowers a cable with a hook, the patient is attached and the copter winches the patient up and away.

This would be a pretty hairy operation in the daylight. I am not aware of what conditions the ship with the pediatric emergency was experiencing. If a rough sea is running and the ship is rocking and rolling, I'd be leery of attempting such a pickup.

I can't believe there is no other option for something like that other than to turn around the ship. How many thousand people were on that ship that had already booked/paid for excursions to a port they didn't get to go to? I'm assuming excursions would be refunded if you booked through the ship.

I'm going on a 7 night, 5 port cruise. It's highly likely I will never return to any of those places again. How many people could afford to redo a cruise due to missing a port? You better believe I'd be upset if I were made to miss one.

On Caribbean cruises, most of the ports are fairly close together. I can't believe there isn't a boat service that can't pick up a sick passenger without disrupting thousands of people's vacations.

Unbelievable. First that you'd be so self-centered that you'd put your vacation in front of a sick or dying passenger, and second that you think most people can't afford a redo of a cheap Caribbean cruise if they really want to get to a missed port.

Unbelievable. First that you'd be so self-centered that you'd put your vacation in front of a sick or dying passenger, and second that you think most people can't afford a redo of a cheap Caribbean cruise if they really want to get to a missed port.

Is it self centered to book a cruise with a serious health issue that's already had one removed from a previous cruise? That situation is being discussed elsewhere on this forum. The other thousands on that ship should take a back seat to that individual should they need to be medically evacuated?

I'm into this "cheap Caribbean cruise" for $2100 for 3 plane tickets, $3000 for a single inside cabin and $1500 for excursions and I haven't even gotten on the boat yet. Maybe that's chump change to you but it isn't to me and besides that, I don't have vacation time available to redo it.

If not wanting to miss a port means cruising is not for me, than a person expecting an immediate medical evacuation isn't for them. If this baby were minutes from dying, it took at least 2 hours to turn around.

I don't think it's unreasonable of a passenger to want to know why the ship turned around. If another boat or helicopter weren't available or weather conditions would not permit it, I would accept it.

Is it self centered to book a cruise with a serious health issue that's already had one removed from a previous cruise? That situation is being discussed elsewhere on this forum. The other thousands on that ship should take a back seat to that individual should they need to be medically evacuated?

I'm into this "cheap Caribbean cruise" for $2100 for 3 plane tickets, $3000 for a single inside cabin and $1500 for excursions and I haven't even gotten on the boat yet. Maybe that's chump change to you but it isn't to me and besides that, I don't have vacation time available to redo it.

If not wanting to miss a port means cruising is not for me, than a person expecting an immediate medical evacuation isn't for them. If this baby were minutes from dying, it took at least 2 hours to turn around.

I don't think it's unreasonable of a passenger to want to know why the ship turned around. If another boat or helicopter weren't available or weather conditions would not permit it, I would accept it.

If a person is medically stable when they board, what is your point? Are you suggeting they check into a home for the infirm to live out the rest of their life when they are perfectly able to partake in typically life activities daily? because they had a health problem that has been stabilized? Maybe YOU should be worried. Things happen. people get sick. Appendicitis flares up without warning, and would require an emergency evac. Same thing with strokes, falls taht cause serious breaks, the list goes on.

Maybe you should look at finding a new job where taking a week's vacation and paying a cruise fare didn't break the bank.

Or just vacation at places where you are right next door to a hospital, just in case, so no one will ever negatively impact you or your vacation. And just hope it isn't YOUR family member.

How would you feel if your daughter got appendicitis on the ship?

Frankly the reason a ship turns around isn't your business, unless it's your private yacht.

If a person is medically stable when they board, what is your point? Are you suggeting they check into a home for the infirm to live out the rest of their life when they are perfectly able to partake in typically life activities daily? because they had a health problem that has been stabilized? Maybe YOU should be worried. Things happen. people get sick. Appendicitis flares up without warning, and would require an emergency evac. Same thing with strokes, falls taht cause serious breaks, the list goes on.

Maybe you should look at finding a new job where taking a week's vacation and paying a cruise fare didn't break the bank.

Or just vacation at places where you are right next door to a hospital, just in case, so no one will ever negatively impact you or your vacation. And just hope it isn't YOUR family member.

How would you feel if your daughter got appendicitis on the ship?

Frankly the reason a ship turns around isn't your business, unless it's your private yacht.

If it were my daughter, I'd be irate that there wasn't a quicker way to evac her 2 hours out of port. If I had a serious medical condition, I wouldn't go on a cruise where I was hours away from a hospital or if I did cruise, I'd do so with the understanding that I'm taking that risk of not getting to a hospital on time. Why should my desire to cruise trump the thousands of others on that same ship?

Maybe some day, there will be enough of you aristocrats to have suite only ships. Until then, you'll have to suffer us lowly serfs to generate enough money to sail the ship out of port.

If going to ports didn't matter, the cruise ships would pull 100 miles out of port and turn in circles. I don't believe those that use cruise ships as floating hotels are such a small minority. Again, you need enough of these people to make the cruise profitable and to leave port.

I understand that the ship will not make ports under extenuating circumstances. If there were absolutely no other way to evac this baby, that's an extenuating circumstance. Unexpected medical emergencies such as appendicitis are extenuating circumstances. I still don't believe the only viable solution is to turn the ship around. Would that be sufficient for you if you or your loved one were minutes from dying and you're 2 hours from port?

If I spend thousands of dollars on an ITINERARY the cruise line put together, I'd expect an explanation as to why it wasn't followed.

I am have been reading some of the selfish comments on this thread with great disappointment, especially those who have tried to defend their critical comments. For some folks, a cruise is all about them on no one else!

I have the feeling that some are forgetting or ignoring the fact that the captain is the LAW aboard his ship by maritime law. He/She is responsible for the safety of all his passengers and crew. He/She gets to call the shots and make the hard decisions. He is not just the driver of a 100,000+ ton bus. If you don't like their decision, bring it up with them. But you'd better be polite when you do it.

Edited by capncarp

If it were my daughter, I'd be irate that there wasn't a quicker way to evac her 2 hours out of port. If I had a serious medical condition, I wouldn't go on a cruise where I was hours away from a hospital or if I did cruise, I'd do so with the understanding that I'm taking that risk of not getting to a hospital on time. Why should my desire to cruise trump the thousands of others on that same ship?

Maybe some day, there will be enough of you aristocrats to have suite only ships. Until then, you'll have to suffer us lowly serfs to generate enough money to sail the ship out of port.

If going to ports didn't matter, the cruise ships would pull 100 miles out of port and turn in circles. I don't believe those that use cruise ships as floating hotels are such a small minority. Again, you need enough of these people to make the cruise profitable and to leave port.

I understand that the ship will not make ports under extenuating circumstances. If there were absolutely no other way to evac this baby, that's an extenuating circumstance. Unexpected medical emergencies such as appendicitis are extenuating circumstances. I still don't believe the only viable solution is to turn the ship around. Would that be sufficient for you if you or your loved one were minutes from dying and you're 2 hours from port?

If I spend thousands of dollars on an ITINERARY the cruise line put together, I'd expect an explanation as to why it wasn't followed.

Maybe you should go on your first cruise before you make all these judgmental comments.

Never understood why people get on the Jogging track and walk the wrong way. They see joggers coming at them but they just walk along drinking the coffee and stopping and talking , taking picture sare pushing strollers. :confused::confused::confused: we were on the Indy last year jogging early one morning and a man and wife strolling with a cup of coffee stoped in the middle of the track with about 6 joggers coming at them. He fell over the lounge chairs spilling coffee all over him. Im sure that hurt!:eek:

Never understood why people get on the Jogging track and walk the wrong way. They see joggers coming at them but they just walk along drinking the coffee and stopping and talking , taking picture sare pushing strollers. :confused::confused::confused: we were on the Indy last year jogging early one morning and a man and wife strolling with a cup of coffee stopped in the middle of the track with about 6 joggers coming at them. He fell over the lounge chairs spilling coffee all over him. Im sure that hurt !!

Rude behavior on cruise ships is the same as rude behavior out and about in all cities and towns. I see no relevance torude behavior as pertains to guests on a ship. Rude is rude no matter where. There are some who think many NORth Americans have lots their manners and think only of themsdelves. and what t they want and want itt NOW.

Edited by sail7seas

Rude behavior on cruise ships is the same as rude behavior out and about in all cities and towns. I see no relevance torude behavior as pertains to guests on a ship. Rude is rude no matter where. There are some who think many NORth Americans have lots their manners and think only of themsdelves. and what t they want and want itt NOW.
Don't think it is just North Americans who have lost their manners and think only of themselves. I travel extensively and there are folks from all over the world on my trips and cruises and I can tell you that many from England, Ireland, Japan, France, Norway, India, China, Italy, etc. have all lost a lot of their manners and think only of themselves. I wish folks would be more accepting of others and other's cultures and less rude and look in the mirror at their manners before accusing others of not having them, but unfortunately it has pretty much become a "me" world we live in. Edited by NLH Arizona

I find the rudest behavior is when I see scooters and wheelchairs waiting patiently for an elevator and able bodied individuals rush ahead of them when the elevator door opens. The reason this irritates me so much, is because these people often have to wait a long time any way and they don't have the option of taking the stairs. :(

I would never rush ahead of anyone much less someone on a scooter or in a wheel chair. Please remember, just because you cannot see my disability, does not mean I do not have one. There are other reasons why people cannot use the stairs besides the obvious ones.

Peace & happy cruising! :)

Reader

Edited by Reader0108598

I would never rush ahead of anyone much less someone on a scooter or in a wheel chair. Please remember, just because you cannot see my disability, does not mean I do not have one. There are other reasons why people cannot use the stairs besides the obvious ones.

Peace & happy cruising! :)

Reader

Many want to judge others, and to me that's the rudest of all.

I've been abused for using a wheelchair to board and later seen walking. There is a huge difference between walking up the ramp to the ship (and having to stand still for long periods which causes me more pain than walking) and walking on the flat.

I've been abused for using a wheelchair to board and later seen walking. There is a huge difference between walking up the ramp to the ship (and having to stand still for long periods which causes me more pain than walking) and walking on the flat.

I have a great deal of respect for those cruisers in wheelchairs, on scooters, using canes and/or oxygen. They are out experiencing life instead of sitting home. I hope I have the same drive to cruise should I need assistance.

They always get a clear path from me, I'm not in a hurry.

I have met you but I will reserve any judgement until you buy me a drink.:p

Hope the back isn't playing up to much.:D

:( I hear you Gut! I have been given dirty looks for standing in a crowded elevator. Actually had someone ask one time who could get off and walk, I swear he was looking at me:confused:

Told him if he would like to call for emergency assist ,I would be happy to try :) NOT!!!

Reader

I have a great deal of respect for those cruisers in wheelchairs, on scooters, using canes and/or oxygen. They are out experiencing life instead of sitting home. I hope I have the same drive to cruise should I need assistance.

They always get a clear path from me, I'm not in a hurry.

I know right!! They should be admired ....get out there :)

Sweetest thing I ever saw was an older couple on a cruise a few years a go. (Balcony below us)

She would bring him out and sit him down, get him all comfortable than go back in ,she would come out and bring him food and drinks. Sometimes she would sit with him and they would hold hands.

Just a beautiful thing:)

Edited by Reader0108598

Thanks mate, you're allowed judge me, no worries.

I am certainly not a judge, and thankfully haven't come any where near one. You however, may be nearer to one than many of us.;)

Perhaps I will buy you a drink, at least I know it will be a cheap shout.:p