Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

The most annoying thing to me is when Windjammer is full, people are walking around with plates of food looking for a table, and people finished eating are still just sitting and talking. Give up your table and go sit somewhere else!

But I love cruising so much and there is so much that is good, that it overshadows the bad. :)

On the Windjammer deck (the buffet) for both breakfast and lunch I'll go you one better. Not only were the people not eating, they had dragged every chair to the windows so they could sit there and enjoy the view (it was an Inland cruise) as long as they wanted. So even you had a full plate and a table, you had nothing to SIT on, to eat . I just shook my head. Amazing, how inconsiderate some people can be. :( If memory serves me right this was before they did away with the trays and then you at least fix a meal and eat in your cabin. Now, I guess one would have to go outside ( in 20 degree weather with 20+ knot wind) sooo much for 'HOT' food. :(

Mac

Mac

The reason some may consider you a chair hog: you and your dad got up early to go put stuff on loungers and then left to go get coffee... To avoid the appearance of being a hog, one of you should have stayed with the loungers while the other went for coffee. If you just leave stuff on the loungers and leave early in the AM, no one knows when you are coming back, hence the hog attribution.

I appreciate what you are saying and agree completely. However, the specifics of the day were this: nobody was there when I get there because this was the first thing I did after waking up (before 8am). I was back from the beverage station within 15 minutes. I would have liked to travel back immediately, but spilling a cup of hot water all over the place going up 4 decks doesn't leave much to drink. And really, literally, nobody was there when I got back because it was currently raining, but I stayed anyway because my chair was covered. Other guy showed up much later. So nobody was around to be offended by what I was doing because it was early and raining. Therefore, no foul on my part. I tried my hardest to be extra polite to everyone on this trip whenever I could.

Edited by someone92636

On the Windjammer deck (the buffet) for both breakfast and lunch I'll go you one better. Not only were the people not eating, they had dragged every chair to the windows so they could sit there and enjoy the view (it was an Inland cruise) as long as they wanted. So even you had a full plate and a table, you had nothing to SIT on, to eat . I just shook my head. Amazing, how inconsiderate some people can be. :( If memory serves me right this was before they did away with the trays and then you at least fix a meal and eat in your cabin. Now, I guess one would have to go outside ( in 20 degree weather with 20+ knot wind) sooo much for 'HOT' food. :(

Mac

Mac

This is apparent in many people who have an attitude of "Ï paid for this cruise so I can do what I want, and bugger the rest of you":(

..........They just left it for the next person to enjoy. How hard is it to flush? Another PIG!!! ....

Actually, might not have been a pig but someone who thinks all public restrooms have self-flushing toilets so didn't realize they had to flush it.

Actually, might not have been a pig but someone who thinks all public restrooms have self-flushing toilets so didn't realize they had to flush it.

I'm not buying that, unless maybe, it was their first time out of the house. :rolleyes: There's an obvious 'flush' button, and, if (doubtful) they took the time to wash their hands they might have noticed the sound of nothing flushing. They were a PIG!

Or they were just so proud of the job they had done, they wanted to share.:rolleyes:

You may be on to something.

On a cruise in 2010 when disembarking a male passenger approximately 40 years old decked an 80 year old woman ahead of him on line because he did not believe she was walking fast enough .

OMG! Had I seen this I would have attacked that guy (I'm 62) and I might have been bruised and sore and maybe even worse but that guy would not be having any more children and he would have found out what it was like to be hit. This is truly one of the most unreal, amazing, disgusting things I have ever heard of on this board. Please tell me someone came to her defense and that this guy was arrested.

This is apparent in many people who have an attitude of "Ï paid for this cruise so I can do what I want, and bugger the rest of you":(

Sadly, that seems to be the attitude of most who travel today. The ' I PAID for this.. SO I CAN DO or TALK TO EVERYBODY ANY WAY, I WANNA' attitude. But, I'd bet they'd get down right furious IF someone talked to them,the same way. :( I wish these know-it-all blowhards had to work in the public or retail section for just ONE year and have others sneer at them, or treat them like dirt. It'd be a different story. They wouldn't last ONE day, much less, a year.

Mac

Sadly, that seems to be the attitude of most who travel today. The ' I PAID for this.. SO I CAN DO or TALK TO EVERYBODY ANY WAY, I WANNA' attitude. But, I'd bet they'd get down right furious IF someone talked to them,the same way. :( I wish these know-it-all blowhards had to work in the public or retail section for just ONE year and have others sneer at them, or treat them like dirt. It'd be a different story. They wouldn't last ONE day, much less, a year.

Mac

Respect goes a long way when given and IMO pays dividends. :D

Some people say that someone has to earn their respect first, well not many people will do that if they are treated without respect first.

I say that everyone gets my respect and generally most people keep it, some however do something that would cause them to lose it and then they have to earn it back. They can do this by apologising for their behaviour to the person wronged and to everyone else who saw it.

Mac

I think many folks agree. But then mention the two most hostile words in cruising "Dress Code" and you will find many of those same folks who agree with you getting down right mean.

Burt

Mac

This right here... is pretty much my day-to-day life. Working in the hospitality industry I deal with guests who all have some sort of self entitlement they feel the right to because they are paid x-number of dollars to grace me with their presence. And that's not to say every person is that way but at least a half-dozen times in my day I'll be presented with the situation.

I think many folks agree. But then mention the two most hostile words in cruising "Dress Code" and you will find many of those same folks who agree with you getting down right mean.

Burt

But, I do understand, in some few cases, why there are circumstances, a dress code is desirable. I worked for an airline that for the first 20 years, HAD a 'dress code' to fly standby' (suit, or sports coat and tie) because the airline said it was setting a sign of pride to be allowed to travel so. Believe me, try to dress that way, on a trip to Maui ! lol ! You definitely will get some 'strange' looks. It wasn't till 2005 that 'they' relaxed the dress code to business casual (no tie or coat) and decided to come into the 21st century. BUT, a cruise IS a vacation, if one wants to dress in tux and tie (if it's required to attend) to said function, I say, 'Good for YOU ! GO FOR IT! Have a BLAST!' Just don't look for me. I'd rather be out on the balcony, watching the stars, smelling the ocean air. To each his own, that's WHAT cruising is all about, isn't it ??

Mac

This right here... is pretty much my day-to-day life. Working in the hospitality industry I deal with guests who all have some sort of self entitlement they feel the right to because they are paid x-number of dollars to grace me with their presence. And that's not to say every person is that way but at least a half-dozen times in my day I'll be presented with the situation.

Absolutely!!! Just yesterday, I had the "I'm paying $2000/night for this" attitude from a "guest". Also had a few get upset because they could not get a later-than-11am checkout; they can't comprehend that we are sold out and actually need time to prep the rooms for the guests who arrive at 3pm. Then had one peach of a gentleman swear at me because our house cars were stuck in a massive traffic jam and could not pick him up for an additional 15 minutes (like I could magically get the cars out of the jam)...

I'm pretty laid back when I vacation because I KNOW what goes on in the back of the house and what front-facing staff have to deal with on a daily basis. It is well-established fact that people leave common sense at home when on vacation. The anonymity somehow emboldens some to act like pompous jack*sses ("why do I care - these people won't see me again") It seems like I always tell my self "Please God, do NOT let me be like these people when I go on vacation."

BUT, a cruise IS a vacation, if one wants to dress in tux and tie (if it's required to attend) to said function, I say, 'Good for YOU ! GO FOR IT! Have a BLAST!' Just don't look for me. I'd rather be out on the balcony, watching the stars, smelling the ocean air. To each his own, that's WHAT cruising is all about, isn't it ??

Mac

I fully agree. But a lot of folks counter with "how you dress doesn't bother me, it shouldn't bother you?", which is a hypocritical way of saying that they are the better person for not judging. I rather they would just agree to disagree as you suggest.

Burt

OMG! Had I seen this I would have attacked that guy (I'm 62) and I might have been bruised and sore and maybe even worse but that guy would not be having any more children and he would have found out what it was like to be hit. This is truly one of the most unreal, amazing, disgusting things I have ever heard of on this board. Please tell me someone came to her defense and that this guy was arrested.

Within moments 3 security officers appeared and took the guy away.His wife was very embarassed .

This relates to Princess. One of the pools has the big screen for movies and I was watching a movie, about one hour in on a 70 degree afternoon in the Baltic Sea, and a few people just drop in chairs a few feet away and start talking really loudly so that others around cannot hear the movie. I get it. It's a cruise. It's a pool area and I probably should have had no realistic expectation of watching the movie in peace. Lesson learned.