Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

Before this last cruise, I would have agreed with you; however, last week, my friend and I went into the Solarium to try and lay out and EVERY lounge chair (that wasn't occupied by a human) had a towel draped over it. Not a single empty lounger was available -- and I'm not talking about the people were in the pool. The pool had only about three people in it!!!

Oh, I know all about this in the Solarium. It is pretty well full up (by bodies/belongings) during the day hours, but to say that ALL loungers were taken.

That's saying NOWHERE on the ship was there an available lounger/seat. Please!

I've been on a few cruises and I have NEVER seen this.

We ere on the Equinox 2 years ago sitting in the Buffet at a booth. Some stupid, ill mannered 12 year old comes by and starts banging on the booth where I am sitting. Asked him to stop, he finally did. The "parents" were there. When he left, he was sure to give it just one more bang on our booth. Too bad the booth wasn't his head.

There's no stopping the chogs! Without additional staff to monitor chair saving, I don't see things changing. Unfortunately too many people have no common courtesy or consideration for anyone else besides themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Chogs - that's one CC abbreviation that just has to be adopted!

NO WAY are ALL the lounge chairs occupied, by things or people. :rolleyes:

Hmmm. I don't recall that you were with me when I was looking and couldn't find anything. But of course you must be right and I just didn't look hard enough :rolleyes:.

Hmmm. I don't recall that you were with me when I was looking and couldn't find anything. But of course you must be right and I just didn't look hard enough :rolleyes:.

You are right' ... on all 'these' counts. ;)

Edited by WetToes

Oh, I know all about this in the Solarium. It is pretty well full up (by bodies/belongings) during the day hours, but to say that ALL loungers were taken.

That's saying NOWHERE on the ship was there an available lounger/seat. Please!

I've been on a few cruises and I have NEVER seen this.

So since that is your experience it must hold true for everyone? I did not say there were none available anywhere on the ship...but there were none available on the Lido deck where I was looking for a place in the open air. I can recall a few times when I was looking for a lounger and couldn't find any. All were on gloriously sunny sea days. That was my experience. Your experience may have been different but no need for calling me a liar for describing mine.

So since that is your experience it must hold true for everyone? I did not say there were none available anywhere on the ship...but there were none available on the Lido deck where I was looking for a place in the open air. I can recall a few times when I was looking for a lounger and couldn't find any. All were on gloriously sunny sea days. That was my experience. Your experience may have been different but no need for calling me a liar for describing mine.

If you had stated this, "none available on the Lido deck ...", we wouldn't be going back and forth. I would have totally understood, and I would not have doubted you. ;)

I still have never seen every lounger on the ship taken. Never. Yes this is my experience.

Pet Peeves:

Kids running amuck in the middle of the night, where are the parents?

Slamming the doors in the middle of the night, come on...

Talking loudly in the middle of the night, didn't your parents teach you better?

People who stop in the middle of a busy traffic area to take a picture of someone across the deck, can't it wait...

People on scooters going to fast down the hall, with me plastered against the wall...

People in scooters coming around the corners to fast, running into the back of my heel and me having to limp the rest of the cruise...

People that think that they are better that you and deserve more becasue they have cruised 100 times, grow up you are only human...

Forgot one... people that play trivia and fight with the crew member running it because they have the wrong answer, come on it is just a luggage tag...

Edited by harleysmama

On our last cruise we had select seating and unfortunately were seated one night with two men from Florida (not bashing Florida) who continually insulted our president. They were very rude, bigoted and loud. I remember as a kid being taught by my very proper mother that one should never discuss religion or politics with anyone, especially strangers. It's a killer for friendship.

The same thing happened at the Elite lounge where we were invited to sit with another group who basically did the same thing. What's the matter with people? Do they think everyone agrees with them? If it ever happens again we will excuse ourselves and ask for another table. Also, coming from New Hampshire, we have politics shoved down our throat more than folks from other states. We don't need or want it on our cruise.

In an elevator, after returning from port on a Southern Caribbean cruise, a lady asked me how I got to be so suntanned ( I have strawberry blondish hair and green eyes). I told her that I loved running and gardening. She then told me that I was probably going to get skin cancer. She said this while holding a shopping bag filled with cartons of cigarettes.

Oh, NO SHE DIDN'T?!? That lady left the door wide open for you on that one...:eek: The audacity!!!

We ere on the Equinox 2 years ago sitting in the Buffet at a booth. Some stupid, ill mannered 12 year old comes by and starts banging on the booth where I am sitting. Asked him to stop, he finally did. The "parents" were there. When he left, he was sure to give it just one more bang on our booth. Too bad the booth wasn't his head.

I would have "accidently" dumped a plate of food on his head.:eek:

And of course, apologized profusely.:rolleyes:

Walking past while I was obviously taking a picture.

I inadvertainly walked past someone who was taking a picture. Their flash went off into my right eye and now I have damaged sight. perhaps its the photographer who should be more considerate.

Usually I am reading at a table because all the peopleless lounge chairs are occupied by things while their owners are elsewhere around the ship....some of them in the Lido eating at another seat:rolleyes:. It's a 2 edge sword.

From now on, remember to grab a non-melting dessert when you go to sit down. You now have food in front of you, so you are no longer "just reading", you are dining. Your Kindle is your dining partner, so by reading your Kindle, you are engaging in silent conversation with your dining parter. Problem solved ;)

I inadvertainly walked past someone who was taking a picture. Their flash went off into my right eye and now I have damaged sight. perhaps its the photographer who should be more considerate.

It's called situational awareness. As in being aware of what is going around ( and especially in front of) you. If you had been paying attention you would have seen that you were walking between the photographer and his subject. When looking through a viewfinder you can't see what is going on beside or behind you. In your case, you have no one to blame but yourself.

Edited by mom says

On our last cruise a lady was sitting by herself on the top deck looking out at the water. There were a lot of tables available so that wasn't a problem. Another couple sat at the same table across from her. They didn't ask they just sat down. They then started smoking (they were on the non smoking side) blowing the smoke in her face. They then took her glass and used it as an ash tray. She didn't say anything but got up and moved to another table. I was upset and told the couple that the smoking section was on the other side and that there were ash trays there. I felt it was totally disgusting to use a cup that others would be drinkiing from as an ashtray.

tigercat

It's called situational awareness. As in being aware of what is going around ( and especially in front of) you. If you had been paying attention you would have seen that you were walking between the photographer and his subject. When looking through a viewfinder you can't see what is going on beside or behind you. In your case, you have no one to blame but yourself.

I call it pretentious etiquette ;

when one feels etiquette is important, only if they are the slighted.

(It's rude to tell a person they are being rude.)

Edited by $hip$hape

On our last cruise a lady was sitting by herself on the top deck looking out at the water. There were a lot of tables available so that wasn't a problem. Another couple sat at the same table across from her. They didn't ask they just sat down. They then started smoking (they were on the non smoking side) blowing the smoke in her face. They then took her glass and used it as an ash tray. She didn't say anything but got up and moved to another table. I was upset and told the couple that the smoking section was on the other side and that there were ash trays there. I felt it was totally disgusting to use a cup that others would be drinkiing from as an ashtray.

tigercat

Wow, this was really rude. I can't believe these people did this. :eek:

I couldn't believe it either. And I wasn't upset that they were smoking just that they were smoking on the non smoking side and forced a lady to leave the table she was at first and then used a glass as an ashtray. They said that they couldn't find an ashtray. I told them to look on the other side. You could clearly see them over there.

tigercat

A woman was sitting on the stairs with art supplies spread out around her. She was copying the art on the wall of the landing.

That was bad enough but then she started yelling at a group of passengers who squeezed by, talking and laughing, that they we're disturbing her.

Just got off of the Pacific Princess, 35 day cruise. Lots of activities, on was

finding objects on a list within a half hour. One was a blonde hair. A non-gentleman didn't have one so he went over to the hostess a lovely blonde and just yanked a hair from her. She was stunned. But we all jumped on him, he didn't understand our reaction. This way she didn't have to be "rude" to a passenger. A real jerk! Fun cruise though.

Just got off of the Pacific Princess, 35 day cruise. Lots of activities, on was

finding objects on a list within a half hour. One was a blonde hair. A non-gentleman didn't have one so he went over to the hostess a lovely blonde and just yanked a hair from her. She was stunned. But we all jumped on him, he didn't understand our reaction. This way she didn't have to be "rude" to a passenger. A real jerk! Fun cruise though.

they have you looking for a blonde hair and they have a blonde employee in the area.. duh I would have found the humor in it.

Typical colonial. I was walking from one side of the room to the other side. The photographer in question suddenly raised her camera to take that "all important" happy snap. never mind who was going to be inconveinienced by her action. if I could have found her I would have instigated litigation.

I think it's more on the person taking the picture to be aware. If you are trying to take a photo in an area where there are lots of people, it's up to you to time it right.

Should the whole area stop in it's tracks for you?

If I notice you trying to snap a pic, I'll try to stay out of the way, but it's not going to be my main concern, nor do I expect my picture taking to be yours. ;)

Typical colonial. I was walking from one side of the room to the other side. The photographer in question suddenly raised her camera to take that "all important" happy snap. never mind who was going to be inconveinienced by her action. if I could have found her I would have instigated litigation.

I use to be amazed but now simply amused..

So, if someone wants to take a flash picture they would need to ask your permission? if camera flashes really caused eye problems where are all the blind people? as far as I know none of the supermodels of the world are blind.