Cruise Etiquette: What have passengers done onboard your cruise that was rude?

People throwing food items, followed by coffee mugs at the pilot as he disembarked the ship to the pilot boat off Nassau. This happened on the Norwegian Sky.

Was the food and coffee that bad?

It really irritates me when people use wheel chairs to get to the front of lines. It makes it harder for those of us who need assistance to get it without problems. I use a walker but getting on and off the ship down the long ramps is just too hard for me. The reason they watch when we board is to do it when the least amount of people will be on the ramp as it is difficult to stop, hold and then go again. I use my walker to get on and off the ship at ports but again I am sure people behind me are irritated by this as well. I have to make sure the small ramp has no other person on it before I go up or down. For me to have to stop part way down is really hard on my legs. If no one else is on the ramp I can go all the way up or down. So maybe that is something that make people mad and think I am being rude but I am just trying to get up and down safely.

On my last flight there were 50 people that needed wheelchair assistance getting on but only 2 of us needed it to get off. You have to wait for wheelchair assistance getting off so I guess during the flight 48 people had a miracle happen. I really wish I had been one of those people getting the miracle. I would love to not need help.

tigercat

There are probably reasons I haven't thought of, but I sometimes wonder why people in wheelchairs or on scooters get priority boarding at check in. They are sitting down, right?

I generally don't have an issue with people in wheelchairs getting priority boarding; however, on my last cruise we were delayed by about seven hours getting to check in due to the port of Galveston being closed due to fog. Unfortunately there was not a lot of organization starting the check-in process and everyone was just kind of pushed together waiting to enter the building. There were a group of passengers in wheelchairs that they were trying to get in and a gentleman kept saying "let them by. They're in wheelchairs." Now, keep in mind we were packed in like sardines. There was no where for us to go. And the gentleman was getting irritated with us for not making a path for the wheelchairs. He was making people angry because there was literally no where for us to go. I mean, my nose was almost in this gentleman's armpit -- and I had no idea who he was.

This was really disrespectful.

Not to mention possibly illegal. The food maybe not so much but the coffee mugs possibly. During my first cruise ever on the Carnivale, the workers were throwing all kinds of trash overboard, including broken deck chairs. If I remember correctly, after Royal Caribbean was convicted and fined for pumping oily bilge water at sea, dumping of most anything that is not bio-degradeable is likely a huge no-no.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

"During my first cruise ever on the Carnivale, the workers were throwing all kinds of trash overboard, including broken deck chairs."

In 1988 I was on my first cruise ever. This was aboard the Carnival Celebration. I saw the crew throw garbage in big plastic bags overboard for about a half hour starting at 2:00am. I'm assuming not they were not bio-degradable. This was the was things were done then I suppose.

There are probably reasons I haven't thought of, but I sometimes wonder why people in wheelchairs or on scooters get priority boarding at check in. They are sitting down, right?

I heard a guy bragging once that he'd sit his wife in a wheelchair she didn't need at airports and go to the front of the line at security.

And sadly, a family member did the same thing at Disney World and thought it was very clever.

we get priority boarding because able bodies (AB) dont give us any space.

case in point Friday at Disney for whatever reason it was PACKED INSANELY PACKED (we have season passes for me to say it was packed I MEAN PACKED!)

It was also a bit too cold for me and my disease was rearing its ugly head so at 6:3o us and a million other patrons decided to leave, and unfortunately ONLY the ferry was operating and HC get on with everyone else..

and it was packed --- I was TOO BUSY watching 4 wheels and where I was driving and trying to watch AB so I didn't hit them (Abled bodies have to watch JUST their two feet and often don't do that very well) when some nit wit AB pushed into my wheelchair and their purse strap got tangled in my joy sticks , I ended up screaming and ran into two people before the AB realized that in their rush to crowd onto the ferry they had taken control of my joystick.

And the kicker I apologize PROFUSELY for running into those people but the lady who took control of my chair..gave me a dirty look and rushed to the back of the ferry. Not a word from her, I thought my husband was going to blow a gasket he was so angry.

I still feel bad and I hope I didn't hurt those two people

That is why we need priority boarding.

PS and while I am at it..the other incident at Disney and it has happened on our cruises also. We finally got of the ferry and headed back to our car in the HC parking lot. I am in the wheelchair and NO ONE is around me (thank god for Disney was PACKED!) No one in front of me, no one beside me, guess I now need eyes in the back of my head so I can watch the AB behind me, for this woman about 40 yrs old carrying a child, about two, came out of no where and jumped over my chair, I missed her by mere inches, I might have even hit her. I actually swore it was so close, she turned around said sorry and kept on running. Bets that if I had hit her I would have been that crazy lady in the wheelchair???? Again I am just glad that nothing serious happened, I had to stop and just breath because all I could picture was hitting her and having her fall on her face with that baby in her arms.

Yes there are bad wheelchair drivers but there are JUST as many if not more bad AB

Edited by firerunner

It really irritates me when people use wheel chairs to get to the front of lines. It makes it harder for those of us who need assistance to get it without problems. I use a walker but getting on and off the ship down the long ramps is just too hard for me. The reason they watch when we board is to do it when the least amount of people will be on the ramp as it is difficult to stop, hold and then go again. I use my walker to get on and off the ship at ports but again I am sure people behind me are irritated by this as well. I have to make sure the small ramp has no other person on it before I go up or down. For me to have to stop part way down is really hard on my legs. If no one else is on the ramp I can go all the way up or down. So maybe that is something that make people mad and think I am being rude but I am just trying to get up and down safely.

On my last flight there were 50 people that needed wheelchair assistance getting on but only 2 of us needed it to get off. You have to wait for wheelchair assistance getting off so I guess during the flight 48 people had a miracle happen. I really wish I had been one of those people getting the miracle. I would love to not need help.

tigercat

sounds like you were on one of those "miracle" flights from the NorthEast down to Florida. it's a well-known fact that the infirm will become healed on those flights ;) They are commonplace. They are well-known from a certain international location in Asia to the US. Some people will think nothing of gaming the system to be first on a flight. If the airlines changed procedure to have wheelchair passengers board last, you'd see the number of users drop dramatically...

"During my first cruise ever on the Carnivale, the workers were throwing all kinds of trash overboard, including broken deck chairs."

In 1988 I was on my first cruise ever. This was aboard the Carnival Celebration. I saw the crew throw garbage in big plastic bags overboard for about a half hour starting at 2:00am. I'm assuming not they were not bio-degradable. This was the was things were done then I suppose.

I sure hope cruise lines don't do this today, although I am sure it still happens.

I sure hope cruise lines don't do this today, although I am sure it still happens.

I do know that cruise ships sailing from US ports now crush aluminum cans (probably sold for scrap value), glass is crushed and offloaded at port, most garbage (and I've heard human bodily waste) is incinerated and offloaded at port. I don't know for sure about food waste if that is also incinerated or if it can be ground and dumped at sea being that it is biodegradable, and I'm not a marine biologist so I don't know if dumping food waste would be harmful or beneficial to the ocean environment.

It was a flight from Heathrow England to Toronto Canada. Maybe if I take enough of these "miracle" flights I too will get healed. I would happily wait in line (like I used to) if I could walk without a lot of pain.

tigercat

I had a woman once butt into a conversation I was having with my hubby. We were at the tea in the afternoon and I was telling him how Fergie (duchess of York) had said scones were not much different than biscuits, that had jam cooked into them. This woman only heard the last part and went on and non how she had had 'tea" at all these fancy hotels and then another woman hopped in and started saying yes, she agreed and she had had tea at such and such etc. then it became a "one-up" contest between the two as to whom had been too the best hotels for 'tea." I was so pissed with them, I did not bother to tell them I was quoting Fergie and that the one woman only heard the end of my sentence. However, after eating them myself I told the 2 gals that I agreed with her definition. And I do, being a southern gal, I have eaten cinnamon biscuits at country restaurants that were very similar to scones-lol! There is nothing special about how they are made for sure.

Now give me the real Cadburys for Britain or their apple crumble and clotted cream any ole time! Not that you usually have those dishes at tea in England! Lol! but that is what I love to have when I am there!

I do know that cruise ships sailing from US ports now crush aluminum cans (probably sold for scrap value), glass is crushed and offloaded at port, most garbage (and I've heard human bodily waste) is incinerated and offloaded at port. I don't know for sure about food waste if that is also incinerated or if it can be ground and dumped at sea being that it is biodegradable, and I'm not a marine biologist so I don't know if dumping food waste would be harmful or beneficial to the ocean environment.

I think there are zones that biodegradable waste only can be discharged.

The absolutest most rude thing that I have ever seen/heard was during a trivia game. The hostess was from Peru and had an accent. Those of us who were regulars would joke with her about her pronunciation. The corrections became a running joke, she would pronounce a word with Spanish inflection, someone would give her a lesson in how 'mericans pronounciate the word. We all laughed so hard. Well, one day it was rainy and there was a crowd for the 11AM game. Hostess Spanish pronounced, a regular would edimaicate her. After a few questions, someone yelled out "Get somebody who can speak English, I can't understand the dam^ questions." You have never seen a room full of people turn on someone so quickly. The Hostess was stunned and got tears in her eyes, some of the women ran to comfort her, and a few of the gentleman went over and quietly suggested that the yeller leave. As he left, I gave him the keychain I had won earlier, remarking that the keychain was obviously worth a lot to him.

As I stated earlier have been in scooter quite a bit lately and we do Disney three times a year for three weeks each time.

My major gripe in the scooter is probably what many of us complain in general society about and that is the idiots making phone calls and texting while walking.

I learned the hard way about texting and walking last night, and have a nice gash in my head from the sign I walked in to. Funny thing is it's usually me complain about other people texting and walking, honestly it was my first time (I was stomping around in a bad mood) and wham suddenly I'm on the floor. DON'T TALK AND TEXT PEOPLE :(

sounds like you were on one of those "miracle" flights from the NorthEast down to Florida. it's a well-known fact that the infirm will become healed on those flights ;) They are commonplace. They are well-known from a certain international location in Asia to the US. Some people will think nothing of gaming the system to be first on a flight. If the airlines changed procedure to have wheelchair passengers board last, you'd see the number of users drop dramatically...

That happens a lot on Southwest . I wish they would make a rule that if you needed wheelchair assistance on you need it getting off .