when did cruising become so sloppy

toxicfairy

I don't really care who flames me since I am stating my OPINION. When did cruising become so sloppy? All I read is do I have to follow the rules?? Do WE have to follow the dress code? How can I cheat the system? The thing I love about cruising is seeing people dressed up in the evenings. The atmosphere that was classy. Now it seems no one cares. It's all about I paid and I don't want to dress up and I don't want to wait in line and I don't want to pay for that and I am the ONLY one that matters, why can't MY kid do that why do I have to watch MY kid I'm on vacation!

Is anyone else tired of hearing about how people want to not do what is "suggested" by the cruise lines??

Edited by toxicfairy

I don't really care who flames me since I am stating My OPINION. When did cruising become so sloppy? All I read is do I have to follow the rules?? Do WE have to follow the dress code? How can I cheat the system? The thing I love about cruising is seeing people dressed up in the evenings. The atmosphere that was classy. Now it seems no one cares. It's all about I paid and I don't want to dress up and I don't want to wait in line and I don't want to pay for that and I am the ONLY one that matters, why can't MY kid do that why do I have to watch MY kid I'm on vacation!

Rest assured...there are plenty of people who agree with those perspectives.

In a world full of "it's all about me" and "selfies"...it is what it is. :(

Though it may seem like these boards are filled with "do I have to" type posts, my cruising experience says those folks that don't follow the "suggested" guidelines are in the minority. In my opinion, cruising has not gotten all that sloppy.

I agree and disagree with you. Some things that you mentioned do bother me. Although I have kids do I want a vacation with kids running wild around me because their parents don't want to supervise? Absolutely not. We should always be courteous of others and how they want to vacation. Even when we sit on the deck to get some sun my family tries to talk quietly due to not wanting to disturb people around us. I also believe if an area says adult only like a Solarium it should be honored. That is not a suggestion, but a rule. It just really isn't that much to ask with all the other spaces your kids can be.

That said, I do disagree about your comments on formal night. I feel like some people on these boards assume because people don't want to dress up that we are somehow of a lower class. Not always the case. Maybe we have to dress up so much in our everyday life we see vacation as a place where we don't want to have to stand in heels that hurt our feet, etc. Maybe the guy who has to dress up for work all the time or sits in meetings with ties on just does not want to wear one on his vacation. They can call it formal night all they want but as I recall isn't it even listed as a suggested attire? It isn't exactly breaking a rule or snubbing others if you don't follow the suggestion and it isn't always lazy either. It is a personal choice. We usually dress up in cocktail attire the first night but honestly by the 2nd formal night we have either skipped or we go in a little less formal but still dress as to not completely stand out and remain respectful to the suggestion. I also agree with the above poster. On the NOS last spring break we had to really look around to see people that were really bucking the suggestion on the dress code in the dining room.

I feel on a cruise it is my job not to be rude to others and not let my kids be rude to others. We respect others space and follow the rules. We don't let our kids run wild and we use the dining room to teach our girls manners. However, I do not feel it is my job to dress in my best formal wear so that you enjoy your cruise more.

Debbie

Edited by debbs0723

I agree and I abide by the rules. If we do not feel like dressing up we go to the buffet on formal nights.

I really think the issue is the cruise lines themselves have become slack and choose not to enforce a dress code (except for HAL).

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I don't really care who flames me since I am stating my OPINION. When did cruising become so sloppy? All I read is do I have to follow the rules?? Do WE have to follow the dress code? How can I cheat the system? The thing I love about cruising is seeing people dressed up in the evenings. The atmosphere that was classy. Now it seems no one cares. It's all about I paid and I don't want to dress up and I don't want to wait in line and I don't want to pay for that and I am the ONLY one that matters, why can't MY kid do that why do I have to watch MY kid I'm on vacation!

Is anyone else tired of hearing about how people want to not do what is "suggested" by the cruise lines??

Everyone is allowed to have an opinion. You shouldn't be flamed for that. I'm not sure why you want to focus on the negatives that are constantly brought up on these forums. Life is too short.

The "society" on a cruise ship reflects the demographics of our overall society (especially on a mass market cruise line). The vast majority of people follow "suggested" guidelines and rules. The vast majority of parents supervise their children. Most people wait their turn.

My advice....don't worry about those things you can't control, you'll be much happier that way.

I'll agree with much of that.

While I may like seeing my own family and/or friends all dressed up, I do not so much care if strangers are dressed up or not. As long as those strangers are decently clothed, odor free, well behaved, I really do not care if they don a dinner jacket, tux or formal gown. Personally, I'd much rather sit near a well behaved man in shirt sleeves than a man in a tux who is drunk, loud, mean, or obnoxious.

I also try to assume the best of well behaved if under-dressed people. The guy in shirt sleeves may simply be a victim of lost luggage; he may be wearing the best of what he cobbled together. Or perhaps he and his wife each thought the other had packed his suit. Or maybe he discovered at the last moment that his suit was damaged soiled or no longer fit. If I do not know the story, it is not my place to judge. Granted, willful under-dressing may be more likely, but even in that case, his clothing choice really does not injure me.

You will not get flamed by me because I totally agree with you.

I should have also noted that your thread title will be offensive to some.

I'm not sure why some people think its rude not follow guidelines and rules and then casually throw out insulting and rude comments at people with a different opinion.

I have a hard enough time looking after myself let alone worrying about what others are doing, especially if it not effecting me at all. I was lucky years ago to realize that the only thing I can change is me! I cannot change anyone else so why even try! Life became much easier when I realized that I cannot change others.

I can agree with you 100% on these issues....K.O.....Love cruising and always will, never have a "bad" cruise.:) That being said it is sad how some folks behave and have no pride or common sense, thats all I will say about that...

Though it may seem like these boards are filled with "do I have to" type posts, my cruising experience says those folks that don't follow the "suggested" guidelines are in the minority. In my opinion, cruising has not gotten all that sloppy.

Exactly! The majority of the cruising public on all cruise lines does not revolve around what people on Cruise Critic think. The majority of the Cruising public probably have never even heard of "The Cruise Critic Forum"! These topics come and go on here with basically the same responders so the rules and suggestions of the cruise lines will generally be adhered to by the majority of the cruising public until they learn otherwise or become a member of the Cruise Critic Forum!

I agree and disagree with you. Some things that you mentioned do bother me. Although I have kids do I want a vacation with kids running wild around me because their parents don't want to supervise? Absolutely not. We should always be courteous of others and how they want to vacation. Even when we sit on the deck to get some sun my family tries to talk quietly due to not wanting to disturb people around us. I also believe if an area says adult only like a Solarium it should be honored. That is not a suggestion, but a rule. It just really isn't that much to ask with all the other spaces your kids can be.

That said, I do disagree about your comments on formal night. I feel like some people on these boards assume because people don't want to dress up that we are we go in a little less formal but still dress as to not completely stand out and remain respectful to the suggestionsomehow of a lower class. Not always the case. Maybe we have to dress up so much in our everyday life we see vacation as a place where we don't want to have to stand in heels that hurt our feet, etc. Maybe the guy who has to dress up for work all the time or sits in meetings with ties on just does not want to wear one on his vacation. They can call it formal night all they want but as I recall isn't it even listed as a suggested attire? It isn't exactly breaking a rule or snubbing others if you don't follow the suggestion and it isn't always lazy either. It is a personal choice. We usually dress up in cocktail attire the first night but honestly by the 2nd formal night we have either skipped or we go in a little less formal but still dress as to not completely stand out and remain respectful to the suggestion. I also agree with the above poster. On the NOS last spring break we had to really look around to see people that were really bucking the suggestion on the dress code in the dining room.

I feel on a cruise it is my job not to be rude to others and not let my kids be rude to others. We respect others space and follow the rules. We don't let our kids run wild and we use the dining room to teach our girls manners. However, I do not feel it is my job to dress in my best formal wear so that you enjoy your cruise more.

Debbie

Deb I do agree with your statement about formal night, our group always dress in tux and gowns the first nite, maybe every formal nite,but at the same time some of us aren't as formal "every" formal night but do dress accordingly as to respect the "suggested" dress code. We have seen some absolute slobs that come to the MDR on formal nights, dressed so horribly that I actually feel sorry for them. It is plain ignorance, could be....K.O.:confused:

LIKE!!!!! I'm with you.

I agree with you as well...and with others.

I think that most people that go to the Main Dining Rooms do dress according to the suggested dress code. There are always outliers.

I also agree that passengers do not dress up as formally as when I started cruising.

I think with Royal Caribbean specifically, as the ships have become more "family oriented" with kids activities, flow riders, rock climbing walls, etc. The "formal" atmosphere will continue to decline somewhat. Not because of more families cruising so much as all the additional venues to support this direction. The number of alternative dining venues like Sorrento's, Park Cafe, Cafe Promenade, Hot Dog place, etc. creates an atmosphere where you have other places to go to eat that MDR. That causes many to skip the more formal atmosphere (even on non-formal nights) of the MDR. In turn, the only time you get that atmosphere is when you are eating in MDR, but you walk out and a large population of people are not dressed formally for the shows, etc. Then your next cruise, you tend to dress less and less formally, yet still within "dress code" creating an altogether less classy, formal environment. Add to that the airline baggage charges and weight limits, and I think we see where all of that has led.

It is much different than years ago when the only place to eat was the MDR. Sure, there was always the one buffet, but that was not well utilized; there was still the expectation when you walked around the ship at night/shows/activities that you should still be dressed up. So, you might as well have dressed up and had the nice dinner too. I can remember years ago not being hungry for dinner and remained dressed down. It wasn't even a formal night. I went to a show and felt very out of place. I promptly went back to my cabin and put on a dress so I felt comfortable walking about the ship. I no longer feel this way at night.

I think for those that have cruised Royal Caribbean for years and resist the change in the direction should look to other lines that are still providing the experience of the formal and dressy evenings. For those that want to dress down all the time, I think should look at those lines that cater to that. I personally see RCI being in the middle. I think they will continue to get more casual yet still provide a level of decorum in the dining room dress.

Edited by reney313

We have seen some absolute slobs that come to the MDR on formal nights, dressed so horribly that I actually feel sorry for them. It is plain ignorance, could be....K.O.:confused:

If I may ask, how many? And what exactly were they wearing (men and women)?

Deb I do agree with your statement about formal night, our group always dress in tux and gowns the first nite, maybe every formal nite,but at the same time some of us aren't as formal "every" formal night but do dress accordingly as to respect the "suggested" dress code. We have seen some absolute slobs that come to the MDR on formal nights, dressed so horribly that I actually feel sorry for them. It is plain ignorance, could be....K.O.:confused:

I have seen very few slobs but I just barely notice other people. As long as that slob doesn't slob it all up in my food, I really just don't care.:D I have laughed once or twice at the guys wearing tux shirts. My husband wouldn't do it, but life is just too short to get upset at what others do. I would rather find it amusing. I agree as well with the fact that I'd rather sit next to a polite underdressed person than a rude snobby in your face guy with a tux on.

My parents went on their first cruise with us last year. This year one of the first things I've heard my dad say for our next cruise is "So I can go with a sport coat rather than a suit?" He spent a huge portion of his career in 3 piece suits. Both my parents dressed up all the time. As they have gotten older, backs hurt, foot and knee surgeries have occurred, etc… They just don't want to dress formally. I think they have earned that right.

Debbie

I'll agree with much of that.

While I may like seeing my own family and/or friends all dressed up, I do not so much care if strangers are dressed up or not. As long as those strangers are decently clothed, odor free, well behaved, I really do not care if they don a dinner jacket, tux or formal gown. Personally, I'd much rather sit near a well behaved man in shirt sleeves than a man in a tux who is drunk, loud, mean, or obnoxious.

I also try to assume the best of well behaved if under-dressed people. The guy in shirt sleeves may simply be a victim of lost luggage; he may be wearing the best of what he cobbled together. Or perhaps he and his wife each thought the other had packed his suit. Or maybe he discovered at the last moment that his suit was damaged soiled or no longer fit. If I do not know the story, it is not my place to judge. Granted, willful under-dressing may be more likely, but even in that case, his clothing choice really does not injure me.

I really agree with the "odor free" requirement. Gave me a good chuckle this morning.

There are also a lot of highly dramatic drama llamas that make mountains out of molehills.

Suddenly, if someone doesn't show up in a tux or ball gown to the Geriatric Prom®, it is made out like they are showing up in their dirty undies, a t-shirt with Toe-backy juice stains, a hayseed sticking out of their mouth, a ballcap with a dirty slogan on it, no deodorant, yesterday's ketchup on their chin, and they are probably burning Old Glory in the process.

I see a lot of people not dressed very formally, but still dressed very nicely. They aren't the scum of the universe, they just don't see the need to get formal. Enjoy your cruise and leave them alone.

If they show up in those actual items... report them to the staff immediately... don't complain to people on this forum who can't do a single thing about it.

I agree that individuals should have the responsibility to behave properly, but what is deemed "acceptable behavior" is, and should be, governed by the cruise line, not any one passenger or group of passengers.

Cruising has become "sloppy" due the the allowances of RCL. Their own MDR waitstaff encourage those who do not desire to dress formally to come as they like and enjoy their meal. If you have a problem with that, take it up with the cruise line, but don't rip the passengers.

Personally, I don't care to dress up on vacation and the MDR experience is NOT why I cruise. I have no problem wearing a sport coat and slacks to dinner on formal nights, but as soon as dinner is over, I'm in my shorts or khaki's depending on the weather.

IF a more formal dining experience was important to me, I would not choose RCI. I am sure there are other cruise lines offering a dressier dining experience for those looking for it.

Personally, I look forward to the day shorts are allowed in the MDR on casual nights. It will happen...just a matter of time.

Not flaming you at all, just wanted to point out that there are other cruise lines where dress codes and the like are more strictly enforced and passengers generally adhere to them. I realize your response will likely be that you love Royal Caribbean and don't wish to stop sailing with them, and I don't have a great response to that. But, I'm in the midst of 4 straight cruises on 4 different cruise lines, so I put my money where my mouth is in suggesting that sometimes its good to sample what else is out there!

I think part of the issue here stems from the fact that it seems like things people read (and selectively at that) from the cruise line they interpret as hard and fast rules, when in actuality they are guidelines and suggestions that expound on the definition of what a term may mean.

Please do remember that cruises often have guests from a variety of different cultural backgrounds. By posting suggestions, the cruise line is merely relaying what their interpretation of a given theme night may be. It still is not a rule that must be adhered to. Think of it as more of an FYI for those who may be new to cruising, or to sort of "level" the cultural differences that may exist. It brings a common understanding of terminology but they are not "dress codes" in the sense that they are meant to or must be strictly adhered to.

So when someone says "When I don't feel like dressing up, I go to the buffet" they are implying to others "So when YOU don't feel like dressing up, YOU can go to the buffet too..." But really, why dress up for the casual buffet in the first place? I believe it should be "Some nights we prefer the buffet, and for that we dress casually." It's got a different tone and meaning.

I like seeing people dressed up as well. We dress nicely, but not to the 9's by any means, and I take personal pride in my appearance to not be a slob when in public, but I will constantly tell those looking for information the truth and never, ever try to shame anyone to giving up what their hard earned money has paid for. They need only surpass the cruise line minimum for entrance. If I don't personally like what they chose to wear that's MY problem and MY waste of mental energy and no way to spend a vacation, in my opinion.

Amen..Well said.

Personally, I don't care to dress up on vacation and the MDR experience is NOT why I cruise. I have no problem wearing a sport coat and slacks to dinner on formal nights, but as soon as dinner is over, I'm in my shorts or khaki's depending on the weather.

IF a more formal dining experience was important to me, I would not choose RCI. I am sure there are other cruise lines offering a dressier dining experience for those looking for it.

Personally, I look forward to the day shorts are allowed in the MDR on casual nights. It will happen...just a matter of time.

I like how you phrased your opinion; I feel similarly.