Hey Celebrity !!! Loud Music Does NOT Equal Younger Demographic

kitty9

Perhaps as a first step...while you are discussing, you could leave the decision on volume up to the personnel on the ship. Current position by those on the ship is "headquarters tells us what volume to play" and they claim no ability to change it.

It is sad when one speaks to an officer who says..."I can't make any decisions"....if so, you are very much overpaying that officer....and you clearly don't trust the ship personnel to make decisions. Not a good way to run any company.....

Celebrity ---- I do thank you for listening and coming back here to respond, and I have to agree with this post by ghstudio. The officers are running the ship, and they should make the decisions on the spot. By having them repeat, "we can't do anything, it's in the control of Miami" it lessens their effectiveness and flexibility. Things happen on a ship that need to have immediate attention. Let your professionals that you have trained DO their job and react and interact appropriately. We have experienced loud music on the ships and have left the pool area and the bar areas because of it.

Just as a waiter can return a less-than-perfect entree back to the kitchen for something better, the bar and pool staff should be able to make these kinds of decisions on the spot. They would never say, "Sorry, headquarters in Miami says you must have only medium rare."

We have only ever sailed Celebrity (you're welcome.) - took a cruise in January and are sailing again in October. We had to leave the Martini Bar (where we were spending some $$, not being on a package) almost every night for two long cruises in the past two years - because the music was so obnoxiously loud. It hurt my ears, literally. We are 60 this year and we love all kinds of music but no music at those decibels.

Thank you again for listening and please please let your staff make these decisions so they can respond to the passengers at the moment and not have to give canned replies.

Dear Celebrity...how about if you get the same tapes, plug them into the PR system at Headquarters, and at all the call centers, pump it up to the same volume as is on the ships, and see how everyone likes it?

We don't tell you how to have your conditions at work, so why are you telling us how we have to have our conditions while on vacation?

Dear Celebrity,

I really hope you're looking at the loud music issue. Celebrity is my favorite cruiseline and I'd like it to remain so.

Here are my thoughts from my recent Celebrity cruises:

Reflection. The live music or Zumba or any other activities in the atrium area spill over to other areas which should be quiet, such as the library. This is a design flaw, and probably not much can be done about it. But please think about this in designing future ships.

The Martini Bar surprisingly did not suffer from loud music. This leads me to believe that there is some local (ship) control going on.

The dining room. Most of us look forward to a lovely dinner in the dining room and the opportunity to converse with our tablemates. This is NOT enhanced by having music piped in. The music is loud, people have to shout to be heard over the music, and the noise level becomes unbearable. Please, please rethink this.

Century. The music in the Martini Bar was unbearable. Same comments on dinner--it was exceedingly difficult to converse with our dinner companions. We had lovely tablemates, and they all commented on this.

Love Rob Ondras. More please. We were thrilled to see him again after sailing with him on the Infinity last spring.

I just laugh at this thought! My TEENAGERS don't even like loud music!! We have been on many cruises on RCCL, Carnival, Celebrity, Princess and NCL. Our first Celebrity was last year. Believe it or not my kids told me that it is their favorite cruise line and we are going again in April. It is their cruise line of choice and I can assure it wasn't loud music that wanted them going back for more. If Celebrity can appeal to teenagers with what they are currently doing why would they want to change??

Ditto on this. I am a Gen X and I have two young adult children. None of us like loud music. To comment on the OP's post, they don't care much for cars either, with or without loud music. :)

At the Martini Bar last week on the Reflection, we had the great satisfaction of absolutely shutting down the loud music because of our loud cheering for Edgar, the bartender, as he gave us a show of pouring 30 martinis at one time. The band could not compete with our loud cheers and clapping for about 30 seconds and fell silent. It was a great moment ;-))

It's not a live band. It was piped in music.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I believe they were referencing DJ and accompanying percussionist (Miami something or other). Who were also present on our Reflection cruise in November 2013.

Hi all,

We have been reading the comments on this thread, as well as the other thread. While we don't want to comment on the demographics discussion, as well as who we are attracting, we can say that we are looking into the music issue to determine if and why it is too loud. Apologies that we can't comment any further (at least for now), but wanted to at least let everyone know that we aren't ignoring these discussions, and are in fact looking into this.

Hello Folks

My wife and I sail in Solstice on 22nd March , and the issue of this "Loud Music" is just about the only concern I have. Reading reviews and comment here I have grave concerns regarding the overall VOLUME of the music. I wrote some time ago to Mr Bailey's office regarding this. and I now want to get a firm answer. It is company policy that loud music be played thought the lines ships??

If so can you please be honest with us so we can make an informed decision regarding if we want to cruise with Celebrity.

For us this is a definite deal breaker I cannot and will not expose my hearing to damage in this way and I will encourage others to consider the damage that overly loud music WILL do to their hearing.

Having consulted Mr Bailey's office prior to our cruise on this issue I will feel justified in becoming very upset if whilst on board Solstice this issues becomes a problem .

Frankly We have only a few days to go before our cruise and would like some official word on this before we go.

On our recommendation we will book three couples on Solstice next year for a twelve night cruise, if we are met by Overly loud music as some have described those bookings will not be made .

So thats six people who will in those circumstances not cruise with Celebrity and word of mouth publicity with multiply that by a considerable factor.

I urge Celebrity to come clean on this .. tell us honestly what you intentions are so we can make an informed choice ,such an action in the long run will do the line more good than harm

Regards

John

What I've been noticing in society in general is the change in what is background music. Growing up it was subtle music barely noticed in the background. These days it seems as if it's loud music that has to be talked over. It's not just the cruise ships, but I notice it in many restaurants as well.

They wonder why out hearing is going

It is today and has always been just loud enough so that I can hear every word DW speaks.;)

Seriously, the loud restaurants are not new. They are built to be loud. That includes Applebees, O'Charleys, Outback, all sports bars, etc. Upscale is not the word I would use though.

Dear Celebrity...how about if you get the same tapes, plug them into the PR system at Headquarters, and at all the call centers, pump it up to the same volume as is on the ships, and see how everyone likes it?

We don't tell you how to have your conditions at work, so why are you telling us how we have to have our conditions while on vacation?

That might help speed up the response time at the call centers......

Some nice house music or some techno might get those Customer Service Representatives pumping!!!!!!

Kill two birds with one stone.....

Recorded music should always be background sound unless you're in the nightclub. Bartenders are the best for sensing what their customers want and should be able to control the volume of all entertainment in their area.

I normally do not like to get involved in forum controversy, but in this case I will share our experience. We are Celebrity Cruisers in our early 60's and also sailed on the Reflection in January. The complaints here deal with the volume of the music being played throughout the ship and the rudeness of the Cruise Director.

I have to concur that is exactly what we found. We understand that there are many different music genres. We do not expect to like every song being played on the ship and realize that passengers of many different backgrounds and ages will share the ship on a sailing. This however does not explain the volume of the music being played and the attitude of the Cruise Director. We found that we were unable to use any venue in the atrium area because the volume level of the music be played. The volume took a variety of music to the level of just noise. We had an opportunity to ask Alexander about the direction Celebrity was taking with the onboard entertainment.. His response was what everyone else said " Maybe you should sail on another ship"

Well Celebrity, You must really dislike us for spending all the money we have over the years. Besides taking away the entertainmentt we have enjoyed through the years you have decided to sic the dogs on us and tell us to go elsewhere.

The issue of overbearing loud music is really having a huge negative impact on the enjoyability of your clientale on your ships. If Celebrity is aiming towards a more luxurious cruise then this is not the way to do it. The type of music played maybe a generational thing-it always has been but other than attending a rock concert no one appreciates music that can literally pierce one's eardrums. It also discourages people from drinking in a bar or anywhere near this volume of noise. People drink to be socialable in a conducive atmosphere and the one that management is providing is far from it.

Remember Celebrity that those responding here are but a small tip of the iceberg of those who are disenchanted with the volume of the music. Why not put it on your questionnaires asking if people are satisfied with the loudness of the music around the atrium better still on a scale from one to five ask them how they feel about the volume of the music that is played.

Just my two cents.

Rodan

Dear Celebrity,

Thank you for responding here, we very much enjoy your product but this is a serious area of concern. We have also experienced intolerably loud music at the Martini Bar to the extent that it caused pain, bartender was unable to hear orders, not able to converse with those next to us, and it caused several people to leave the bar.

Please note we enjoy ALL kinds of music and have no complaints about the style of music but only the VOLUME being too loud.

As others have mentioned decibel levels are easy to determine and can be an objective way to measure and ensure a safe and desirable level of volume.

Edited by still-learning

And thank you for the stereotype of older people. As someone who grew up on AC/DC, Van Halen, Heavy Metal and the like, I know loud music. The music on Reflection last week was beyond concert loud. It drowned out voices 10 floors above and filtered into staterooms.

Variety is wonderfull, but so are options. If I choose to have a quiet relaxing vacation and Celebrity won't offer that, than I may have to go elsewhere.

"Beyond concert loud!"

We get it, you don't like loud music, but is the hyperbole really necessary?

"Beyond concert loud!"

I don't think it's hyperbole. We attended a rock concert 4 days before we cruised. The music onboard was louder.

One of the things I enjoy most about our family vacations on Celebrity Cruises is conversation.

Husband and I are mid 40's ,Daughter 16 and parents late 60's early 70's . At home we are busy with jobs ,studies and the day to day stuff . On holiday we get the chance to talk ,really talk ! Not just to each other but meeting new friends ,chatting to staff etc .

We like to talk over dinner , at the Martini bar , by the pool .

We like to talk about the wonderful memories we have of our past Celebrity cruises and the wonderful things we will be looking forward to.

We don't want to SHOUT at each other or at anyone else ,just pleasant conversation at a pleasant volume.

Celebrity ,please don't drown out pleasant conversation with loud music or you will just have ships full of people yelling " What ? I can't hear you ! "

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

"Beyond concert loud!"

Hi Folks

Yes it is! why because loud music WILL damage your hearing and WILL damage the hearing of the venue staff.

Celebrity are aware of this.

There is a risk of litigation that they also should be aware of.

So YES we should all be concerned.

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

Dear Celebrity,

Thank you for responding here, we very much enjoy your product but this is a serious area of concern. We have also experienced intolerably loud music at the Martini Bar to the extent that it caused pain, bartender was unable to hear orders, not able to converse with those next to us, and it caused several people to leave the bar.

Please note we enjoy ALL kinds of music and have no complaints about the style of music but only the VOLUME being too loud.

As others have mentioned decibel levels are easy to determine and can be an objective way to measure and ensure a safe and desirable level of volume.

While our issue a couple of weeks ago was in the Martini Bar on Equinox, thankfully there was no loud music in the MDR like last year on Silhouette. On that ship they played ridiculously loud music that was totally inappropriate for a dining venue. This resulted in everyone at their tables having to shout to converse with others at their table. So now not only was the music loud but the passengers themselves were loud in order to be heard. The dining staff had to keep repeating themselves because they, too, couldn't hear us when we spoke. Finally after several nights of enduring this our complaints were heard (pun intended!!!). They lowered the volume. The genre of music was still out of place for dining but at least it wasn't blaring.

MAYBE CELEBRITY THINKS THAT AS I AGE, MY HEARING IS GOING. :D:D. PERHAPS THEY ARE ONLY TRYING TO KEEP ME HAPPY.

Enjoy

M

I haven't read all 3 pages but as someone whose hearing IS going at a young(er) age due to exceedingly loud rock concerts well into their 30s, head phones, and ear buds I can tell you I do not need any more LOUD venues to take what little hearing I have left.

I was on the Eclipse last January and it was SO loud by the pool it was not a relaxing day in the sun. I retreated to my balcony and sadly it was SO loud I could clearly hear it there.

As a younger "demographic" said on page 1 I don't cruise for the entertainment I cruise based on itinerary. I have chosen port intensive cruises and most nights was so exhausted from all my scuba and other activities those days I literally was falling asleep in my dinner plate. It would have been fine if I could have turned in early to recharge for the next port but due to the LOUD music invading my state room I could not get to sleep until much later than desired.

I made many wonderful acquaintances on both trips but sadly there was not ONE night we could have a drink and quite conversation prior to dinner due to the decibel levels. The first cruise was before Christmas and as entertaining as Jingle Bells is it does not improve at 120 decibels!

I don't care what demographic they are trying to lure as long as I don't have to go deaf while they do it.

I posted the below comments on another thread just today (3/4/14):

We are Elite Plus and sailed on the Century in Dec 2013 and could not have drinks at the Martini Bar, even though many nights we were the only 2 people there, because the music was so loud. We talked to the Bar Manager who said he could do nothing to lower the volume of the music; we talked to the Food & Beverage Manager who said he could do nothing to lower the volume of the music. Both managers indicated that the sound level was set at the direction of headquarters in Miami. We were lucky because Michael’s Club is next to the Martini Bar and we would order our drinks at the Martini Bar and take into Michael’s Club to drink them before the loud music started in there.

We then sailed, with friends we see once a year, on the Eclipse in January 2014 and experienced the same loud music the Martini Bar. We tried other venues but had the same problem, loud music so that we could not carry on a conversation among the 4 of us, without shouting. Ultimately we moved to the Sky Lounge where the volume of the music was reasonable and we could at least talk with and hear each other.

It is not that we don’t like or enjoy the music being played, it’s that it is played too LOUD.

We have booked our next cruise on Princess and hopefully they have not decided to pump-up the volume!

We try to avoid spending any time in places where the sound can damage hearing so unless this changes we will cancel our next 3 2 week cruises booked on Celebrity. Celebrity is our line if choice but my husbands one ear he has left is more important... next week we invest $3000.00 on a hearing aid to fix his only ear.

We always plan our next cruise while on board...usually after chats with fellow cruisers

We try to avoid spending any time in places where the sound can damage hearing so unless this changes we will cancel our next 3 2 week cruises booked on Celebrity. Celebrity is our line if choice but my husbands one ear he has left is more important... next week we invest $3000.00 on a hearing aid to fix his only ear.

We always plan our next cruise while on board...usually after chats with fellow cruisers

Did we scare off the Celebrity rep? Crickets...

I was in Equinox Feb 10-21, and I will say that the evenings I was in the martini bar I did not think the music was too loud. We spent one evening, I believe it was either the 18th or 19th there from about 8pm until after 11pm. Had a great conversation with the CD Paul, one of the ShoreEX staff, and a few others. We were not at the bar, but were seated in an alcove. A number of other evenings we did stop in, and were not driven out by loud music.

I was so thrilled for this to be the case on Equinox, as last February on Reflecton we DID experience the ultra loud techno music. We asked a few times for it to be turned down, and sometimes it was - for a few minutes. Finally, we decided that sitting in the Oceanview Cafe reading and drinking the free hot tea was more pleasant than being driven deaf and enjoying a martini - we had purchased the beverage package not gotten it for free.