Katakolon Express

WA Girl

Hi

Just starting to do a bit of research on shore excursions and came across Katakolon Express, has anyone had recent experience with this tour company, guided tours to Katakolon or Piraeus, how different are they to the ship tours.

Thanks for any information :)

I don't do any kind of tour normally, can't abide them. However I did see the Katakalon express buses lined up when I was at that port in October. There were plenty of them waiting about 100-200 m from where you get off the ship. They were certainly much cheaper than the ships tour. Lots of fellow passengers were using them and they all made it back on time. No idea how the quality compared to the ship's excursions. From what I understand the express is just transport to and from Olympus and not a guide to go around with you.

I just did the little hop on hop off tourist (road) train for $6. It was very nice but then I've done Olympus before so was looking for something different to do.

You may get more responses if you post this on the Greece section of the Ports of call on these boards as you'll get posters who use other cruise lines too. They may not be able to tell you how they compare to MSCs but they will have experience of using local tour companies.

If you are looking to get to Olympia from Katakolon try the train very cheap, or if you have done Olympia there is another stop enroute with a lovely market, but cant remember the towns name. Again as Avomondo said try the Greek threads.

I did the Athens tour last year it was good value they took you to all the major sights some you were not long at just enough for a look and photo ops but these places you didnt need long anyway and for the acropolis we were happy to just look around ourselves without a guide we stopped in Athens for lunch too which was good I think the whole day was only 20 euro but could be wrong