REVIEW---Century February 15

BettyCruiser

Sometimes I pick a cruise based on the itinerary, sometimes I pick a cruise based on the ship and sometimes I pick a cruise to cruise with friends. This cruise happened to involve all three criteria.

The Century is my favorite ship currently sailing. This sailing was part of a redeployment of the Century after Celebrity decided to reduce the previously announced ‘solsticization’ dry dock down to a shorter technical dry dock, no doubt due to plans to sell or transfer the ship out of the Celebrity fleet. I usually book my cruises years in advance, this cruise was offered only about eight months prior to its sailing, that meant I had to rearrange my cruise schedule for the year when I booked this one, but it also meant another sailing on my favorite ship before she was gone.

I was also drawn to the itinerary, which included a port that we had never visited in our previous thirty plus Caribbean cruises. St. Bart’s was a completely new port for us. We had been to St. Croix only once before more than a decade ago. We had a bad experience there and I wanted to give it another try. San Juan was the only port we weren’t excited about, but that was okay, we’d use it as a ship day. Grand Turk is a new favorite port that we had been to only twice before.

But the deciding factor was probably an email was a cruise friend prodding us to cruise together once more. We have met so many great folks while cruising; it’s always fun to reconnect on another cruise.

A little about us, we’re in our late 40’s and have been cruising for 15 years. In that time we’ve taken nearly 40 cruises, on 6 different cruise lines, most of which were in the Caribbean, our primary motivation is an escape from our Minnesota winter.

We flew to Fort Lauderdale the evening before the cruise via Southwest with a plane change at Chicago Midway. I had kept an eye on the weather forecast for Chicago all week. The weekend before we had a diversion and delay flying through Midway I was hoping that wouldn’t happen again. This winter the weather has been extra crazy all over making travel tricky. It turns out the weather was fine in Chicago on Valentines Day, but I failed to check the originating city of our flight. The plane was coming from NY via Milwaukee and had a delayed arrival of about an hour. Our two hour layover turned into one hour but we still had time for a drink at the airport since this time we were lucky enough to fly into and out of the same gate. We have been flying on Southwest for only about a year. I like the flexibility they allow to change or reprice flights that have gone down in price. We have also had good luck getting good seats by purchasing the early bird option. On this trip we would take advantage of the free alcoholic beverage offered on holidays when flying Southwest. This year there was a full moon on Valentine’s Day.

232323232%7Ffp83232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A75%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D39%3A7773%3A%3C232%3Anu0mrj

We arrived in Fort Lauderdale on time at 11:35 PM on Valentines Day. We spent the night at the Renaissance in Plantation. We had never stayed at this hotel before. We always stay in the 17th Street area or the beach area of Fort Lauderdale. But since we booked only eight months out, it was Valentine’s Day, and President’s Day weekend, the only hotels in those areas were pretty spendy. Since we were arriving late I didn’t want to spend too much, but I also prefer at least a 3* hotel. I was able to reserve a room at the Renaissance in Plantaion with a AAA discount for $160, which was much cheaper than anything I could find in our usual areas. The cab ride there was about $26 plus tip. We didn’t explore the hotel much, but I can say the mattresses were incredibly comfortable.

Saturday February 15, 2014 embarkation day

We have friends, which we met on a cruise, that live near the hotel. They picked us up at the hotel in the morning and we had breakfast together at one of their favorite breakfast spots. We also stopped at Publix for a forgotten item. Then they dropped us at the ship by noon. Check in had already opened, there was a small line for the x-ray, no line to pick up our cruise cards, a quick stop for the security photo, then we were on the ship sipping a welcoming sparkling wine. A very quick and easy embarkation process.

Since this was our fourth cruise on the Century we didn’t need to explore the ship. We knew exactly where we wanted to go, the Sunset Bar. The Sunset Bar is a wonderful open air bar at the aft of the ship all the way back through the buffet. The wake view is great and there are several tables.

I didn't take a bunch of pictures around the ship this time but will post some from previous trips on the Century.

232323232%7Ffp53672%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D344%3B79387932%3Anu0mrj

The Cova Cafe seating area, there weren't any table cloths this trip when we stopped in the afternoon.

232323232%7Ffp5369%3B%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D344%3B79387832%3Anu0mrj

The Rendez-Vous Lounge, the sofa seating is burgandy colored now, the chairs are still green.

232323232%7Ffp537%3C6%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D344%3B79387732%3Anu0mrj

More Rendez-Vous Lounge, maybe I was just thinking of these burgandy sofas??

232323232%7Ffp537%3C5%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D344%3B79387532%3Anu0mrj

The Crystal Room, I love this venue, nice large room but also has some nice little semi private alcoves.

Keep them coming. We are going to be on the fabulous Century in a mere 3 weeks and we cannot wait. We were on her a couple years ago for Alaska and were very impressed.:)

My wife has one pressing question for you: Has the Century been CARNIVALIZED ? :confused: It is a topic of concern on the board these days.

Keep them coming. We are going to be on the fabulous Century in a mere 3 weeks and we cannot wait. We were on her a couple years ago for Alaska and were very impressed.:)

My wife has one pressing question for you: Has the Century been CARNIVALIZED ? :confused: It is a topic of concern on the board these days.

3 weeks, is that the first 7 day out of LA? Can you come back after and let me know which nights are formal nights? I have a guess, but would like to know for sure.

I only read the first few posts on the Carnivalized thread and it seemed they were primarily concerned with loud music, is that what your asking about? I thought the music in the martini bar was kind of loud, made it difficult to carry on a conversation at times. We also thought that when there was live music in the Rendez-Vous Lounge it was loud. I liked volume of the music in the Crystal Room, but there you have the option to sit to the side and back if you want less music. I didn't spend time at Cova when there was live music and on this past trip I never entered Hemisphere so I can't comment on those venues. I don't remember ever having a DJ at the pool, just a solo singer that was entertaining but never too loud.

I'll be posting more Century photos today and continue with my review this evening.

Betty,

Thanks for the photos. We are on Century for Singapore to Dubai. Also, we are in one of the large Sunset Verandas (1246). We are excited about having an aft balcony.

What do you like so much about Century?

3 weeks, is that the first 7 day out of LA? Can you come back after and let me know which nights are formal nights? I have a guess, but would like to know for sure.

I only read the first few posts on the Carnivalized thread and it seemed they were primarily concerned with loud music, is that what your asking about? I thought the music in the martini bar was kind of loud, made it difficult to carry on a conversation at times. We also thought that when there was live music in the Rendez-Vous Lounge it was loud. I liked volume of the music in the Crystal Room, but there you have the option to sit to the side and back if you want less music. I didn't spend time at Cova when there was live music and on this past trip I never entered Hemisphere so I can't comment on those venues. I don't remember ever having a DJ at the pool, just a solo singer that was entertaining but never too loud.

I'll be posting more Century photos today and continue with my review this evening.

I'll let you know when the formal nights are. I'm also wondering what activities are planned as every day is a port day. We were looking forward to Bingo.

The "Carnivalization" thing has taken off on the Cruise Critic boards. It seems that Celebrity is trying to attract a younger audience, as us Elites are not spending enough. It is mostly speculation, but any changes in what you experienced before on Celebrity might be of use.

I do however think that since Century is going the way of the dodo in a couple years, they may not make any changes to her in order to attract their younger demographic. There focus would probably be on the S-class ships.

I'll let you know when the formal nights are. I'm also wondering what activities are planned as every day is a port day. We were looking forward to Bingo.

The "Carnivalization" thing has taken off on the Cruise Critic boards. It seems that Celebrity is trying to attract a younger audience, as us Elites are not spending enough. It is mostly speculation, but any changes in what you experienced before on Celebrity might be of use.

I do however think that since Century is going the way of the dodo in a couple years, they may not make any changes to her in order to attract their younger demographic. There focus would probably be on the S-class ships.

The Century cruise was a very mature demographic. I can say it was very different from the 5 night cruise we took on the Constellation February 3rd. That cruise had a very young demographic, probably many first time cruisers and/or first time Celebrity cruisers and thanks to the 123 promo a 'booze cruise' mentality. Where I was surprised to see shorts in both the dining room and Tuscan Grill at dinner. I don't think there is much risk of seeing that on the Century. I guess the question is how much will it bleed over from the 5 day Caribbean itineraries to the 7 day Caribbean itineraries.

Betty,

Thanks for the photos. We are on Century for Singapore to Dubai. Also, we are in one of the large Sunset Verandas (1246). We are excited about having an aft balcony.

Papa,

One thing to keep in mind about CN and the sunset verandas, those cabins shake dramatically when coming into port. Usually about 5 am or so. You will get used to it and go back to sleep afterwards. But it will wake you.

I steer clear of CN's aft balconies because of this.

The cause for the vibration is the style of propulsion. Newer ships operate using pods an generators for their steering and props. CN has drive shafts connected to their propellers. So when they reverse the props to slow down, everything shakes.

You will have a great cruise. Enjoy

Betty,

In addition to chessbriar's comment regarding vibration, the aft balconies aren't very private. The deck 12 balconys are above the Sunset Bar, so you are looking at the white tarp over the bar then out to the wake. People sitting at a table at the Sunset Bar will be able to see you on your balcony between the ship and the tarp, you will be able to hear music and talking from the bar below. If that is a concern for you, see if there are any deck 9 aft balconies available for the aft experience.

Although I love to sail the big new ships I tend to prefer the smaller older ships. On the Century there is less staff than the bigger ships so they seem to be a more connected team and family atmosphere. I also like the ease of getting from one point on the ship to another. On the Reflection our cabin was all the way forward and we like the Sunset Bar there too, but that walk between the two was a long one.

Your itinerary sounds amazing, I'm sure it will be the cruise of a lifetime:)

Although I love to sail the big new ships I tend to prefer the smaller older ships. On the Century there is less staff than the bigger ships so they seem to be a more connected team and family atmosphere. I also like the ease of getting from one point on the ship to another.

Thanks for posting your pictures and for your glowing review of the Century and her crew. We will be boarding her for our first time two weeks today and are curious to see how she compares to the M and S class ships.

Betty,

I was also just on the Century. Betty, thanks for the photos and review. On the 3 day Bahamas I had an aft family balcony cabin on Deck 9 (9245), and I was awakened every morning (the shaking and the noise) as we came into port. Hopefully that will be better on Deck 12. I was grateful that I was moving to another cabin for the 8 night Caribbean.

Carolyn

It was announced that rooms were ready between 1:00 and 1:30. Our home for the next eight nights was 1217, an inside room on deck 12. This was our third time staying in the same room. All the rooms on deck 12 were added during the big refurbish in 2006, so the cabin is newer, I think the hair dryer is nicer since it’s newer. We like the location because it has easy access to the pool area, buffet and the Sunset Bar. This room probably has the most storage of any room we have experienced. There are two large hanging closets and another closet with four large shelves and four shallow drawers, two bedside stands with two drawers each, a desk area with six drawers and a large storage area behind the large mirror at the desk. The bathroom also has a lot of storage and the shower had plenty of clearance to keep the curtain from attacking while showering.

232323232%7Ffp63392%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D358883929232%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp538%3B6%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D358883929332%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp538%3A7%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D358883929432%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp733%3A%3A%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D358883928932%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp63392%3Enu%3D3288%3E5%3C%3B%3E7%3B3%3EWSNRCG%3D358883928%3A32%3Anu0mrj