Thenford Grey's Nevis tour?

mlbcruiser

Has anyone done a tour of Nevis or with (or through) Thenford Grey? Looks like we will end up being the only ones on his Nevis tour, though we had hoped a few others from our roll call might book it. No one did. Thenford said no one else has booked the tour but we 'll still get to go. I imagine a member of his staff will actually be our guide but am now wondering if we'll feel awkward being by ourselves -?

Thanks for any firsthand experience!

So I know this is not relevant to St Kitts.....but thought I would share anyways.

My first time in Roatan I booked an independent tour for me and 3 friends.....the day we docked my friends backed out....I had been looking forward to it for months. I went to the tour guide and explained the situation....we agreed on a good rate and I had a private tour all by my lonesome.....it was very interesting and I have booked with them each time I go to Roatan. Point is....go even if others do not;) I did not feel unsafe at all and I was probably only around 25 at the time.

Edited by grooveynurse

mlbcruiser: I am very interested in information about this tour. Can you give me some details, please? We did a full day sail once in St. Thomas and were the only passengers. Had a great time and not awkward at all.

Edited by 39august

• 3 weeks later...

We are confirmed on the Nevis Tour with Thenford Grey on April 14, 2014.

We were very impressed with him on or tour of St. Kitts a few years ago and have recommended him to several friends who also raved about his tours. Anyone who would like to join us is welcome.

We were very impressed with him on or tour of St. Kitts a few years ago and have recommended him to several friends who also raved about his tours. Anyone who would like to join us is welcome.

Have a wonderful time. :) Please come back and let us know how it went. I'm considering this tour for our visit next year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Boatlady32, could you please contact me re: your recent trip to Nevis? I have a question regarding photographs. Thanks!

Edited by chesapeake2atlantic

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Our ship arrives at 9am. I submitted the form for this excursion with the question of whether we could make the 9:30 ferry 2 days ago- still have not received a response. Is Thenford usually slow in responding?

He was not in the past, but I realize people change. His daughter lives in Atlanta and has ovarian cancer, so it's possible he is off island or something. I would try 1 more time in about a week. If still no reply, it might be better to look elsewhere.

Some of the tour operators may be off island during the slower season. With only 2 ships a week in this time of the year some go on vacation or visit family and friends. I believe that Thenford will get in touch with you. He runs a very reputable operation.

If your excursion starts at the ferry dock near the cruise ship pier you should have no problem if your ship is in at 9AM and passengers can get off the ship. It is a short walk to the passenger ferry terminal.

• 4 months later...
Our ship arrives at 9am. I submitted the form for this excursion with the question of whether we could make the 9:30 ferry 2 days ago- still have not received a response. Is Thenford usually slow in responding?

I have given up on sending emails via websites. Find their email address and send it directly.

I did send Fendford a direct email and he did respond and we did set up our Nevis tour- his family losses/ website problems- so best to contact him direct- very pleasant man- got every thing worked for our Nevis tour- so best is direct :D

We just came back and had a great day with Thenford Grey, of Grey Tours,on our St. Kitts visit. It was like being on tour with a brilliant college professor. We loved listening to him talk, it felt like we were listening to Morgan Freeman or James Earl Jones narrating a tour of the Island. In about six hours, we drove completely around St. Kitts, stopping at all the major sites, taking as much time as we wanted. There were only six of us on the tour (in fact, we were the only ones from the Insignia), and it was one of the highlights of our 12 day cruise. The weather was not in our favor (rainy and cloudy) so we did not swim, but at the end of the day, we visited a gorgeous beach with plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas, clean bathrooms, and a great bar area. Had we wanted to stay and swim, Thenford was willing to come back and pick us up at our convenience. I was really surprised that more passengers from our ship had not booked this tour. We paid $48 each (less than half the ship's tour cost), and could not have been happier.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a 12 day on the Gem with a stop in St Kitts from 9-6 pm. We've been to St Kitts several times before and wanted to see Nevis. I checked the ferry schedules and it didn't seem possible. I contacted Thenford and he assurerd me that it was, so we booked the tour with him. He asked that we get off the ship as soon as possible in order to catch the 9:30 ferry. He had someone meet us at the terminal and drive us to the ferry dock. Thenford came by and greeted us and said that everything was arranged and Hellerina would meet us at the dock in Nevis. His man Harry bought our ferry tickets and gave us an envelope for Hellerina ( I assume it was her pay and money for the return ferry). The Ferry from Port Zant takes 45 minutes and our van was literally parked 20 ft from where we stepped off. Hellerina was wonderful. Our drive around the island included many stops for photos and several stops at former plantations now hotels with beautiful gardens and views. She's 4th or 5th generation Nevisian and full of information and local stories. We could have had lunch and spent some time at the beach but decided to catch the 12:30 ferry back to Port Zant. If we did stay we would have had to take the 3 pm to the southern tip of St Kitts ( 10-15 minutes) and then have a 25 minute ride back to the ship- good if you're not in a hurry or haven't seen the southern end of the island.

Thenford picked us up at the ferry and offered to take us to the beach for a couple of hours (he had a group there already) in his new large 15 or so passenger van for no charge, but we decided to have lunch in town. He is a lovely man, I highly recommend him for any of his excursions

Nevis is a beautiful island. If you have been to St Kitts before, see Nevis- it's as beautiful if not more