Hair Straightener Taken!!

rileylewis

So let me see if I understand this, some women are upset about banned curling irons because they want to curl their straight hair and some are upset about flat irons because they want to straighten their curly hair. :D lol

Which ever you chose I'm sure you will look great on your cruise.

After reading all the ladies responses I'm just smart enough to relize that its not a good Idea to get in between a women and her Curling Iron.

HAPPY CRUISING

So let me see if I understand this, some women are upset about banned curling irons because they want to curl their straight hair and some are upset about flat irons because they want to straighten their curly hair. :D lol

After reading all the ladies responses I'm just smart enough to relize that its not a good Idea to get in between a women and her Curling Iron.

HAPPY CRUISING

My former roommate would definitely have issues! She would spend 30 minutes straightening her hair with a flat iron and then turn around and spend 30 minutes curling it with a curling iron. I never understood that! Still don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a major broohaw (sp) going on because one or two people were denied their curling iron or flat iron.

Wouldn't it be worth our while to step back a moment and verify if this is new policy or a 'rogue' security person in the terminal who was vague as to HAL's rules?

While I know HAL telephone reps do not always provide dependable/reliable/current information, an e-mail response from one verifying HAL permits curling irons be carried aboard should go a long way in quieting an over eager security person in the terminal.

What do they do with things they confiscate? Do they put them in a big box and all those things are brought aboard to be held until the end of the cruise? If so, Security on board can retrieve a 'mis-appropriated' curling iron once aboard.

Let's get verification before we get 'crazy'. :D

Actually, it was many more than just one or two people. I talked to several women who had their curling irons, curling brushs, or hair straighteners taken away.

It may have been a rogue security officer that took the these things away, but what about the people that work with Holland America that should know their rules? As a first time cruiser am I supposed to know that I have to go to the hotel manager or the captain in order to get something that really should never have been taken away ?

I figured that they had it on board somewhere, and that maybe they would give it back to me. That's why I asked the front desk about it. That's when I was told that curling irons are not allowed on board. That's also when I saw so many women that had beautifully fixed hair that I knew had to have a curling iron on board. (not that I was stalking people with curly hair! LOL! :p)

Did it ruin my cruise? No way! Fortunately, I had a round brush with me so I can fix my hair with the blow dryer. Yes, it was kind of a pain. Yes, it took a lot longer to do my hair. But it was okay. Other women weren't so fortunate. Other women were very upset about it.

I know a lot of people don't understand why women would get upset over this. But let's just put it into perspective. Let's say that you were getting ready for formal night guys, and Holland America decided that they wouldn't allow any pants on board! :D

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

HAPPY CRUISING

When a man "gets" something that fundamental it is always a good thing! :D:D

Actually, it was many more than just one or two people. I talked to several women who had their curling irons, curling brushs, or hair straighteners taken away.

It may have been a rogue security officer that took the these things away, but what about the people that work with Holland America that should know their rules? As a first time cruiser am I supposed to know that I have to go to the hotel manager or the captain in order to get something that really should never have been taken away ?

I figured that they had it on board somewhere, and that maybe they would give it back to me. That's why I asked the front desk about it. That's when I was told that curling irons are not allowed on board. That's also when I saw so many women that had beautifully fixed hair that I knew had to have a curling iron on board. (not that I was stalking people with curly hair! LOL! :p)

Did it ruin my cruise? No way! Fortunately, I had a round brush with me so I can fix my hair with the blow dryer. Yes, it was kind of a pain. Yes, it took a lot longer to do my hair. But it was okay. Other women weren't so fortunate. Other women were very upset about it.

I know a lot of people don't understand why women would get upset over this. But let's just put it into perspective. Let's say that you were getting ready for formal night guys, and Holland America decided that they wouldn't allow any pants on board! :D

No pants is hardly the same thing. There are plenty of ways to style hair without irons.

bolding mine

I agree, the onus was on HAL to return it to you. That's what you were told when it was taken away, and that is what should have been done. I wonder where the confiscated items were stored, and I wonder if for ONE SECOND someone with some authority thought "what are all these doing here?"

As for "other ways to style hair", possibly but not necessarily true .... if a passenger KNOWS in advance that they need mousse, gel, de-frizzer, a special brush and possibly a better hairdryer than what HAL provides, maybe she (or he) can manage without the flat iron or curling iron.

Like many others, if I can't take my curling iron I will be upset. And no thank you on the ship providing one to use. UGH. No way does anything that has touched someone else's hair touch my hair. UGH.

No pants is hardly the same thing. There are plenty of ways to style hair without irons.

And guys could just wear shorts. Plenty of styles of shorts out there... Yeah OT doesn't look good with a ticket but neither does crazy, frizzy or hanging in my face hair looks so great with my formal gown!

From my view it is a good comparison.

Or how about this? They take your razors. All electric and regular do no one can shave (men or women) for safety reasons of course. Wouldn't we all be a sight:eek:? They would sell Nair hair removal cream on board and offer waxing at the spa!

Of course bearded men would think it crazy that anyone would be upset by this... :D

Nope. You're not understanding it yet.

What some women are upset about is that their NOT BANNED items were confiscated because....

QUOTE - I know a lot of people don't understand why women would get upset over this. But let's just put it into perspective. Let's say that you were getting ready for formal night guys, and Holland America decided that they wouldn't allow any pants on board! :D

Well that brings us back to the Clothing Optional cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam;)

Edited by jimdalva

Nope. You're not understanding it yet.

What some women are upset about is that their NOT BANNED items were confiscated because....

Just for the record I am now in complete agreement with what ever you ladies say. My wife told me too.:confused:

Edited by jimdalva

Hi Runnergirl, In addition to avid cruisers, we are big Disney fans too (as well as New Yorkers) so I checked out your Blog. Congratulations on finishing your marathon, that's no easy feat.

Aw, thanks! I badly need to update the blog! :)

HAPPY CRUISING

You are so RIGHT!

But the :D this thread has provided over a device that makes as much an impact to an overall as changing your shirt to ghost white from baby powder is priceless!

Honestly ladies, as long as your hair doesn't look like an exploded pheasant us fellas aren't going to notice what you're obsessing on or over.

As for the other ladies and what they notice, they'll always find some fault to harp on in their little cliques so why aim to please those who can't be pleased because of their inherenty insecurity?

Like Tyler Durden, you need to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Derek

Edited by Viesczy

I can see that you feel passionately about this.

I guess, in my life, I've gotten to the point that I'm not going to allow things like my hair (or not being able to wear contacts, or my weight, or stuff like that) rule my life such that not "looking perfect" means that I don't participate in things. I'm getting older. I'm decaying! I'm not going to hide in my house to spare others the challenge of looking at my aging self! ;-)

As I said, I would think that, if the cruise lines feel they need to be concerned about this, there could be some accommodations made such as ship-provided curling irons with moderate maximum temperatures and automatic shut-offs.

That is your right but why do you have to make others feel bad because they want to look their best? Some people I work with wear PJ's to work and look like they rolled out of bed. Just because they think that is acceptable should I embrace that too?

<snip>There are plenty of ways to style hair without irons.

Maybe if you have long, straight hair you put in a pony tail. I have short, layered hair and I have a lot of that. It is impossible to style without a curling iron. I would never make such a harsh comment just because you don't need an appliance.

You are so RIGHT!

But the :D this thread has provided over a device that makes as much an impact to an overall as changing your shirt to ghost white from baby powder is priceless!

Honestly ladies, as long as your hair doesn't look like an exploded pheasant us fellas aren't going to notice what you're obsessing on or over.

As for the other ladies and what they notice, they'll always find some fault to harp on in their little cliques so why aim to please those who can't be pleased because of their inherenty insecurity?

Like Tyler Durden, you need to let that which does not matter truly slide.

Derek

Some people care about how they look for themselves. :rolleyes:

bolding mine

I agree, the onus was on HAL to return it to you. That's what you were told when it was taken away, and that is what should have been done. I wonder where the confiscated items were stored, and I wonder if for ONE SECOND someone with some authority thought "what are all these doing here?"

As for "other ways to style hair", possibly but not necessarily true .... if a passenger KNOWS in advance that they need mousse, gel, de-frizzer, a special brush and possibly a better hairdryer than what HAL provides, maybe she (or he) can manage without the flat iron or curling iron.

Like many others, if I can't take my curling iron I will be upset. And no thank you on the ship providing one to use. UGH. No way does anything that has touched someone else's hair touch my hair. UGH.

I honestly don't know how to respond to this.

Unless you cut and color your own hair (or take scissors and combs to your stylist), this isn't possible. What about the headrest on an airplane?

I see a hysteria here (not just you, but on this thread) that makes one word keep coming into my head:

perspective.

I just did a live chat with HAL because I'm very concerned about this. If you do not care please, I beg of you, do not read my post. It sounds like the security was confused about what the situation is. Here is what the HAL agent told me:

Currently, our policy (according to our Ship Services) department is that curling irons and hair straighteners are allowed on our ships, and we have not updated our "Know Before You Go" document to indicate this as a prohibited item. I will report this, however - thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I'm taking this as it being ok to bring. OP, I sure hope you push this issue up the food chain.

Some people care about how they look for themselves. :rolleyes:

Exactly! I don't give a flying flip over what others think of my hair ( guys or girls.. ) but I feel beautiful for myself when I fix my hair a certain way or wear certain clothes.

It still boils down to my personal property taken from me (and many others) when it should not have been confiscated. ALSO that the staff at the front desk should know the rules and be able to help. If he/ she can't help or doesn't know the answer then refer to a supervisor ( hotel manager? ETC) instead of making up an answer ( which in this case was a lie).

This the first that I have heard about ladies having their curling irons taken when in checked luggage.

It was in her carry on, not in her checked luggage.

She said that ladies who had one in checked luggage did not have it taken.

I just did a live chat with HAL because I'm very concerned about this. If you do not care please, I beg of you, do not read my post. It sounds like the security was confused about what the situation is. Here is what the HAL agent told me:

Currently, our policy (according to our Ship Services) department is that curling irons and hair straighteners are allowed on our ships, and we have not updated our "Know Before You Go" document to indicate this as a prohibited item. I will report this, however - thanks for bringing it to our attention.

I'm taking this as it being ok to bring. OP, I sure hope you push this issue up the food chain.

I have been trying to send an email to them but for some reason right now my email is not able to send out emails. Is there a phone number where I can reach them? All the phone numbers I see on the web page are for people who are booking a cruise not for people who have returned from a cruise.

Maybe if you have long, straight hair you put in a pony tail. I have short, layered hair and I have a lot of that. It is impossible to style without a curling iron. I would never make such a harsh comment just because you don't need an appliance.

Wow, I'm sorry you found that "harsh". It was a statement, pure and simple.

I have medium, fine but lots of it, wavy-ish hair, and I've never felt the need to torture it with curling irons and the like. Even when it has gotten cut too short and I resemble a mushroom. I brush it, put some mousse or sprunch spray on it and go. The only time it even sees a hairdryer is when the temperatures are too cold to let it finish drying outside naturally.

But on the short hair front, my mom has short, layered multi-textured hair, and she styles hers simply with a brush and hair dryer and it's beautiful. So I do believe it CAN be done.

This whole thread reminds me of a youth group hiking trip we took to a location where there was no electricity. This point had been stressed over and over again in all mailings, meetings, packing lists, etc. about the trip. And yet at lunch, one girl came running back down the trail yelling for my dad. We all jumped up, thinking that there was a bear or someone was hurt or something until she breathlessly said "They just said there's no electricity up there!" My dad calmly replied "That's right. We discussed it at every meeting about this trip and it was noted on your supply and packing list." At which point we learned that the backpack she'd been complaining about how heavy it was? Was completely filled with hair dryer, curlers, curling iron...and I forget what else electronic. :rolleyes: She survived, and even she said that she thought her hair looked better on the last day when it hadn't been overstyled for a few days.

Here's a question for you all: WHO are the security people who check people in at embarkation? Some sort of equivalent to the TSA? I doubt they are ship employees. I never thought to ask while I was boarding...nor have I looked at their name tags.

Yes! Exactly. And trying to plan what steps to take should this happen when I board the Veendam in FLL.

Robin