Allure...will it feel crowded?

My husband and I are looking at a back-to-back for the weeks beginning 9/7 and 9/14. Hurricane season, but we like the adventure. Also, I own a pet sitting business and if I had to pick a good time to get away, September is usually my slow month.

they only thing that worries us a little is with that many passengers, are there long lines everywhere?

My husband and I are looking at a back-to-back for the weeks beginning 9/7 and 9/14. Hurricane season, but we like the adventure. Also, I own a pet sitting business and if I had to pick a good time to get away, September is usually my slow month.

they only thing that worries us a little is with that many passengers, are there long lines everywhere?

We never felt crowded on the allure! If you make your reservations ahead of time you shouldn't encounter lines. There is so much onboard that is offered at all times that people are scattered everywhere. Yes sometimes the windjammer can be busy or getting an ideal seat by the pool may be tricky but can't that happen on any ship? We actually felt less crowded on the oasis class than any other class. And they also offer more elevators than any other ship so we almost never waited for one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My experience on the Allure was wonderful. Never felt crowded.

The only time we experienced lines/crowds worth mentioning, was going to/leaving shows. Even then, they were not that bad.

The worst line we experienced, disembarking.

For being the largest cruise ship out there, it is VERY easy to navigate. Just thought that was worth mentioning!!!

We did B2B in December 2012 and had the same concern. We were pleasantly surprised. Of course, there are some lines--we encounter those on other ships too. The parades were crowded because they are pretty popular, just like on the other ships. The ship is well laid out, and there are so many activities that people are spread out. Embarkation was great too. We liked it so much we are taking our 3 sons and their families in June.

Make sure you make your show reservations before you board to ensure you get the times you want.

When Royal Caribbean designed the Oasis Class they did a great job with 1. traffic flow and 2. planning many actives/places for people to be, thus making the venues less crowded.

For example, last time I was on the Allure I remember looking at the CC every night and asking, "what are we going to do tonight after dinner?" (Assuming we were done with our show and/or didn't have one that night.) I am not exaggerating when our choices were too many to do them all! Live music was all over the ship: Bow & Stern Pub, Schooner Bar, Jazz on 4, Viking Crown Lounge, Central Park. If you wanted to have a drink and dance: Boleros, Dazzles, Blaze. Because of all of the choices, none of them were packed! Love Oasis Class ships! :D

Do it! You will not regret it.

I've read your replies and recognize truth in all of them. I will also add. Some of the Parades it will feel crowded and many events involving the DreamWorks characters. In both of my reviews, I mentioned ways to avoid crowds. One user mentioned, when shows let out. By studying the layout of the ship you can learn ways around this too. If you get out of a show, everyone heads to the nearest elevator and that is crowded. If you need to go to a much higher deck at the other end of the ship, walk the length of the ship first, then take the elevator. One difference I did notice between my 2011 cruise and my 2013 cruise was they added a few more character interactions throughout the ship which helped minimize crowds.

Another crowd avoiding tip, I think the Blue Planet show is best viewed from the balcony. Its much easier getting out of the balcony than it is the main floor.

When Royal Caribbean designed the Oasis Class they did a great job with 1. traffic flow and 2. planning many actives/places for people to be, thus making the venues less crowded.

In another message I mentioned I had seen some changes between 2011 and 2013. Many of them seemed with these points in mind, so I would say they designed it well and analyzed what worked and what didn't. Another example was the Wipeout Cafe was not open on embarkation day in 2011, but was in 2013. I also THINK it wasn't open for breakfast in 2011 and it was in 2013. It also was not open until later afternoon on port days, but in 2013 it was open for breakfast and even lunch on port days. This helps spread people out a bit.

Edited by BillOh

DW and I never felt crowed at all. sometimes after a show it will be a bit busy but everyone seems to disaper really fast. So dont let that stop you from crusing on the Allure

We went in May and it rarely felt crowded. Times that it did....

Waiting for an elevator before dinner (we took the stairs)

When the theater let out a show (elevators and promenade would be flooded for about 15-20 mins)

Poolside during sea days (but that's ever ship)

The WJ during peak food time (they keep you in line until a table opens up and then bring you directly to that table before you get food. So the actually buffet isn't too crowded but there was almost always a line, but moved quickly though)

The boat is set up so well that the crowd flows so well and since there are so many options people are dispersed well.

Have fun it's a great ship!!!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have to agree with everyone else. The only day that felt a little crowded to me was disembarkation, and even that wasn't bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That seems to vary a bit week to week. I'm guessing Custom's has control over that. I was on Allure when Osama Bin Laden was killed. We walked right off the ship, through Customs without even stopping, just a glance at our passports and we were in a taxi in about 4 minutes time. In 2013, just after the sequester stuff, it took about 25 minutes, as you say, not bad.

That seems to vary a bit week to week. I'm guessing Custom's has control over that. I was on Allure when Osama Bin Laden was killed. We walked right off the ship, through Customs without even stopping, just a glance at our passports and we were in a taxi in about 4 minutes time. In 2013, just after the sequester stuff, it took about 25 minutes, as you say, not bad.

And all of the crowds everyone has mentioned--whether it's disembarkation, shows letting out, parades, etc.--are also experienced on other ships. We, too, always either take the stairs or head to the other end of the ship to avoid the crowds as much as possible.

This is such good news. Thanks for the info everyone.

I'm over the moon excited, and we haven't even booked yet. :D

It's a great ship to do a B2B because you can pace yourself. It's not easy trying to fit it all into one week.

You're right. And it's so much fun knowing you can get right back on when everyone else is heading home. :)

Very true, and on the Aqua theater show, by chance if your reserved time gets canceled, you have a 2nd chance. Now, the comedy shows are also worth looking at. I don't know how often they rotate the comedians. I do know when I went in 2011 it was their first week.

The only time we felt crowded was on the ship on Embarkation Day before people were allowed to go to their cabins. No more huge crowds after that!

It's a good day to have lunch at Giovanni's Table ... $15 pp and very worth it! ;)

LuLu

~~~

Relatively speaking, Oasis class seems less crowded than any other ship class I have been on.

It helps a bit to get familiar with the ship and its venues prior to sailing so you have an idea of when and where to go, what to avoid etc.

You are going to have to try it and make up your own mind. Everybody's definition of "crowdwd" is different. This is twice as big of ship than we've ever been on, and yes there were times we were crowded. After life boat drill and the parades were the worst. Also didn't enjoy waiting in line to get in the Windjammer Cafe or main dining room for breakfast or lunch if you went during "prime time". The ship and entertaiment makes it a must see, but because of the crowding, we won't be back on these monster ships.

You are going to have to try it and make up your own mind. Everybody's definition of "crowdwd" is different. This is twice as big of ship than we've ever been on, and yes there were times we were crowded. After life boat drill and the parades were the worst. Also didn't enjoy waiting in line to get in the Windjammer Cafe or main dining room for breakfast or lunch if you went during "prime time". The ship and entertaiment makes it a must see, but because of the crowding, we won't be back on these monster ships.

Have you never waited on other ships during "prime time"?

Aren't kids back in school? You picked a great time to go! The only time I felt the 6200+ people was during the dreamworks parade and coming out of the amber theater. Hardly aware of all the children onboard and we went July 8.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

There will times it will be crowded, like the watch sales, or t shirt sales but other then that, it is really spaced out and everybody seems to be involved with some activity and its not really congested. I would imagine the WJ might be crowded on shore days, but we never went there for breakfast .