Can a 10 year old take Bonine??

EasyBreezy83

I get majorly seasick and would not wish that feeling on ANYONE!! :eek: We are cruising next month and I am worried about my son getting seasick. He has been on one other cruise, on the Disney Cruise line, and was pretty good, however he did have one day where he threw up. That was a 4 night, and this next one we are doing is a 7. I don't want to risk him being seasick, however I'm having a hard time finding something for kids.

Bonine says for 12 and up, however my son is 10, and I usually have to give him a higher dose of medicine because he is very tall for his age so his weight is more than a normal 10 year old.... So I'm wondering if it would be ok to give him just one pill a day? I am going to call his dr to get his opinion, but I thought I would also ask here and just see what all of you thought? :)

Thanks!!

I'm not a pharmacist, but I believe that Bonine makes a formula especially for children. Google their website and read about it. My kids have always taken Bonine and it seems to work quite well. Enjoy your cruise and may the seas be calm.

Thanks!! From what I've looked into online, it looks like they did have a children's formula at one time, and no longer make it. On their direct website they only talk about regular Bonine. That's why I'm wondering if it would be safe to just give it to him since he's 10. I probably wouldn't consider it if he were younger than that.

Our daughter wore pressure point bands...I got them at our local CVS ( I think)... They are over the counter. She was 10 at the time. They worked...or at least SHE thought they did...she wore them on her wrist .

I am not a doctor, only a motion sickness sufferer since childhood, so run all my advices by his pediatrician.

Can he take ginger? It's an herb, but should not be taken if blood clotting is an issue. 1 capsule a day should be enough.

1 Bonine seems too high. I take it as an adult, but only for emergencies. Most of the times ginger is enough.

Where is your cabin? Is it in the middle of the ship, in the lower half? Does it have a window? This is very important for motion sickness.

Keep his tummy full. Snacks between meals. Doesn't have to be heavy. Get cookies, apples, whatever he likes - from the buffet. It's OK to bring snacks into the cabin.

Try to keep him away from reading, using iPhone - not to look at things close to him.

I am not a doctor, only a motion sickness sufferer since childhood, so run all my advices by his pediatrician.

Can he take ginger? It's an herb, but should not be taken if blood clotting is an issue. 1 capsule a day should be enough.

1 Bonine seems too high. I take it as an adult, but only for emergencies. Most of the times ginger is enough.

Where is your cabin? Is it in the middle of the ship, in the lower half? Does it have a window? This is very important for motion sickness.

Keep his tummy full. Snacks between meals. Doesn't have to be heavy. Get cookies, apples, whatever he likes - from the buffet. It's OK to bring snacks into the cabin.

Try to keep him away from reading, using iPhone - not to look at things close to him.

Great advice!! Thank you!

We have a lower cabin, mid-ship I believe. It's a cove balcony. I've been on 3 cruises, and since I know I get TERRIBLY seasick on ships without keeping meds in my system, I am just trying to save him that agony. For me, it was the worst feeling ever!! Since he did throw up one night on our Disney cruise, that's enough to tell me he is a little sensitive, and I don't want to risk him getting sick on this cruise. I'm all about preventing beforehand. I have no problem with giving him something. I know others have said they don't like giving anything to their kids.

I have read about ginger, but with how sick I get, I'm scared to try something that's not medicine on myself or him. He may be totally fine, and I'm sure I'm projecting my own experience with seasickness on him (not talking to him about it at all because I don't want to plant ideas, haha, but just my own thinking) I am going to be calling his doctor today, and I will also talk to the pharmacist.. I just kind of also wanted to get input here to see what you all do.

Now sorry but i just have to say that are you overreacting a little. He probably had some contagious stomach thing the last cruise as it was over so quicly. Now, as he was quite fine then, why make this an issue at all? I understand you have a problem but your boy does not as he would have had a bigger problem the last time. Why make up a problem?

Usually kids handle bad weather a lot better than adults anyway.

Have you tried the bracelet ? My son friends use the on his boat in the ocean. The swear by them. My sister get car and motion sick..they worked wonderful for her cruise. You get the in any drug store. There are 2 in each box.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Please do not ask strangers on a chat board about the safety of orescribing medications to a child ( or adult). Only your health care practitioner is qualified to make that decision. I am an RN - suggest that you call you pediatrician for a recommendation.

Check with your pediatrician but we ran into a similar situation with my DS (now 12) as we own a smaller boat and he started getting seasick occasionally around age 4-5 and at that time there was nothing for children. His pediatrician has worked with young cancer patients and they have used Benedryl (which comes in a childrens version) for keeping the quesiness associated with chemo at bay. We have used this for a number of years and have not had any problems and he has only been sick once since then and that was when he took nothing and we had a rough day at sea.

Please do not ask strangers on a chat board about the safety of orescribing medications to a child ( or adult). Only your health care practitioner is qualified to make that decision. I am an RN - suggest that you call you pediatrician for a recommendation.

I think some are misunderstanding my asking this question. I am in no way using this as "medical advice." I have every intention of talking to his doctor, and pharmacist before we are ready to cruise as to what is safe to give him, and what an appropriate dose is. I just simply wanted to get an opinion and see what others have done concerning this. I thank everyone for their concern, but I would never medicate my child under the pretenses of internet advice. :)

Now sorry but i just have to say that are you overreacting a little. He probably had some contagious stomach thing the last cruise as it was over so quicly. Now, as he was quite fine then, why make this an issue at all? I understand you have a problem but your boy does not as he would have had a bigger problem the last time. Why make up a problem?

Usually kids handle bad weather a lot better than adults anyway.

Thank you for your response, but you really can't say for sure that he did not get seasick because you were not there with him, and you don't know him. He was in fact seasick that day, and not suffering from a stomach bug. He talked to me and conveyed exactly what he was feeling, how he was feeling in his stomach, and body overall that day. He was seasick. Just because it lasted only one day does not dismiss the fact that he got seasick.. it could have only lasted the one day because he got his "sea legs" after that day, or any other number of reasons.

There is nothing wrong with me wanting to give him something to prevent that on our next cruise. He also doesn't do well on some theme park rides, and does get a little queasy in the backseat of a car sometimes. I don't want to have spent all of this money on a vacation and risk him not being able to enjoy it. I don't think that is overreacting, I think that is being preventative, which to me, is the smart thing to do.

Check with your pediatrician but we ran into a similar situation with my DS (now 12) as we own a smaller boat and he started getting seasick occasionally around age 4-5 and at that time there was nothing for children. His pediatrician has worked with young cancer patients and they have used Benedryl (which comes in a childrens version) for keeping the quesiness associated with chemo at bay. We have used this for a number of years and have not had any problems and he has only been sick once since then and that was when he took nothing and we had a rough day at sea.

I have heard about this being an option. Thank you. :)

Dramamine has a children's version.

I saw this in the drug store, but it only came in a pack of 8, and that wont be enough to cover this trip. If all else fails though, I am going back to get that and will just get 2 packs. It's like $8 a pack so I'm not looking forward to that. haha

Thanks to all that responded with actual advice.

A lot of you have responded as if me wanting to prevent him from being seasick is the worst thing in the world! Seriously, how many of you would open a vacation with sick kids with open arms??? I seriously doubt trying to prevent my kid from being sick is the worst thing I can do. :rolleyes:

I did speak with his doctor and he AGREES with me about preventing the outcome before it has a chance to kick in, and he's prescribed him something for the trip. :eek: Crazy right??? Sorry if I'm being a little sarcastic, but some of the responses I got here were pretty judgmental, and I didn't appreciate that.

Again, to the rest of you that actually responded with advice and wisdom. THANK YOU. I greatly appreciate it. :D

Here's to a great family cruise!!