Raffaello/Michelangelo

I was recently visiting my mother and we were looking at her old cruise pictures. She and my father sailed on the Raffaello in April 1975 from New York to St. Thomas and St. Martin. It was the cruise just before the last cruise of the Raffaello. I had always remembered how they could never stop talking about how beautiful the ship was, how wonderful the crew was and delicious all the food was. Their stories made me want to cruise also and in 1981 I took my first cruise on the Home Lines Doric.

Anyway, my mom had asked me whatever happened to the Raffaello and her sister ship the Michelangelo. I did a bit of research and came up with this very informative website. I am posting a link here in case anyone is interested.

http://www.michelangelo-raffaello.com/english_site/en/en.htm

It was a very sad ending to two very beautiful and elegant ships after only ten years of service. I am sorry I never had the chance to cruise on these liners. As one former passenger commented...shame on Italia Navagazione for allowing such a terrible outcome to these once proud ships.

When I was very young I lived in Cowes on the Isle of Wight, and all the liners, including the Raff and Micky -as we used to call them - came past on a regular basis.

I can't remember which one of the two it was, but one had beautiful harlequin funnels for a time.

They were stunning ships and it is a great shame they weren't in service very long.

Archived