Travel Insurance Recommendation

iamlin

We have always used CSA. Our TA always does it for us.

While we get it for the medical side, we got delayed and missed a connection last year and missed the last flight of the night out. While Southwest paid for our hotel, meals were not paid for, and I did save our receipts. I called CSA and they did reimburse us for our meals! It worked out to almost half the price we paid for the insurance.

We do the Luxe plan because it covers pre-existing conditions.

Edited by NeurosurgeryNP

CSA was at the top of my list........may just have to use them. Thank you.

I agree that trip insurance is confusing. Suggest you look at tripinsurancestore as they have a good site for comparisons and explaining the differences. You can call them and ask specific questions and get recommendations.

We use our travel agents and it's by Allianz.

Coverage:

baggage coverage------------- $500

baggage delay coverage--------$200

emergency medical & dental----$10,000

trip cancellation-----------------$500

travel/trip delay coverage-------$300

trip interruption protection-------$500

The cost is $84.00 for two. We have use this for six trips. Good luck in your search.

We have always used the insurance through Princess. We purchase the air insurance through the airline.

We had to cancel flights and cruise a year ago due to a family illness. Our claims were handled quickly and accurately.

We use our travel agents and it's by Allianz.

Coverage:

baggage coverage------------- $500

baggage delay coverage--------$200

emergency medical & dental----$10,000

trip cancellation-----------------$500

travel/trip delay coverage-------$300

trip interruption protection-------$500

The cost is $84.00 for two. We have use this for six trips. Good luck in your search.

We have coverage through Allianz as well, but through our credit card. We don't have the medical (not required) but for the trip delay/cancellation it's around $100 per year and covers ALL travel booked with our credit card...far cheaper than paying per trip!

The trip insurance choice depends heavily on your age and the scope of coverage desired.

For medical cancelation coverage only, Princess Platinum (Berkeley Care Insurance Company) is fine. The premium is not age related, it pays all costs quickly, and is relatively inexpensive.

For emergency medical evacuation coverage anywhere in the world back to the hospital of your choice (not nearest adequate medical facility) Medjet Assist is considered to be the best.

For other broad coverage policies, the comparison sites suggestions made are where to go.

I am somewhat glad to see that travel insurance is not just a problem we experience in Australia.

I was getting insurance prices for an upcoming cruise in South America (LA to RIO) - One wouldn't cover me at all because I am over 65, Covermore wouldn't cover me AT ALL for pre-existing even though they did in December last year. When I called them they said they would not cover my pre-existing because I was going to USA. I ended up going with InsureandGo. The extra pre-existing cover for USA with InsureandGo was $1,000 more than if I was holidaying for the same length of time in Europe. This sort of thing puts you off from ever going to USA again. Travel Insurance for my wife (no pre-existing) and I was almost 10% of our total holiday cost.:)

I agree that trip insurance is confusing. Suggest you look at tripinsurancestore as they have a good site for comparisons and explaining the differences. You can call them and ask specific questions and get recommendations.

Another vote for tripinsurancestore. Have used them for the past few years for all our travel insurance. They are very knowledgeable, helpful and will work with you to get the coverage needed for your particular needs or situation.

I use a different Allianz policy that has more coverage than the one listed above. I get it from my TA at final payment and it covers pre-existing conditions.

Check with your agent - they may have a special policy written for them.

What company do you recommend for travel insurance other than Princess?

There are several companies which can help you choose: insuremytrip dot com, tripinsurancestore dot com and squaremouth dot com.

I prefer "primary" coverage so I do not have to file claims twice (secondary coverage only kicks in after your personal plan pays). I would also suggest a policy with a pre-existing illness waiver. I prefer a policy with at least $50,000 in medical coverage.

For our upcoming cruise we chose the TravelSafe Classic policy. I like the fact it is "primary insurance" and has $100,000 in medical coverage. If purchased within 21 days of the initial policy, you get the waiver of pre-existing illness benefit.

If this is confusing, I would contact an agent at any of the above companies to discuss.

Another vote for tripinsurancestore. Have used them for the past few years for all our travel insurance. They are very knowledgeable, helpful and will work with you to get the coverage needed for your particular needs or situation.

Yet another vote for TripInsuranceStore.

But CALL them, so they can help you find the right policy given *your* particular needs and concerns.

We just had a very long call with them yesterday, sorting out several planned trips (cruise and other), plus one trip when traveling with friends (whose needs/concerns are different).

Rarely have we found a company where all of the reps are so helpful, and take the time to figure out what will work best given the particular needs.

GeezerCouple

But CALL them, so they can help you find the right policy given *your* particular needs and concerns.

We just had a very long call with them yesterday, sorting out several planned trips (cruise and other), plus one trip when traveling with friends (whose needs/concerns are different).

Rarely have we found a company where all of the reps are so helpful, and take the time to figure out what will work best given the particular needs.

GeezerCouple

I'm from Chicago. I cast two votes for Tripinsurancestore.

• 2 weeks later...

GeezerCouple

Steve at trip insurance store is a great resource. He will explain everything you want to know and more. It is unbelievable how much knowledge he has about every situation imaginable and which insurance to buy.

I also highly recommend this company although I have also used insure my trip and they are excellent too.

Steve at trip insurance store is a great resource. He will explain everything you want to know and more. It is unbelievable how much knowledge he has about every situation imaginable and which insurance to buy.

Absolutely agree...he is the best and has helped us many times;)

• 2 weeks later...

I also highly recommend this company although I have also used insure my trip and they are excellent too.

I second the opinion on Steve and his company. I have used his company twice, and most likely will use it again very shortly.

He (or one of the others in his company) will help you navigate the maze that is travel insurance, and will give you straight talk on each policy. The web site allows you to compare side by side also.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question about insurance. We have gone on two cruises in the past with out it but our travel agent for this trip says it was quite risky and we really should get it this trip. We are due to leave on the Norwegian on July 5th and don't know what to do. Any help would be great. We are two adults (40's) and three teens, if that helps at all.