Select fare cabin allocation

chh

Hi, this is my first ever post on a forum so please excuse me if I get the language etc wrong!

Has anyone received a cabin allocation yet for a guarantee cabin booked on a select fare? We have booked a guarantee in the lowest grade inside (because that was what was available). We are happy with the price we have paid and intend spending so little time in our cabin that this grade is fine. It is what we have paid for and what we are expecting so this is not a moaning post just one of curiosity. I notice that when late saver fares are available for a cruise they are on a guarantee basis for a type of cabin rather than a particular grade whereas we have booked a particular grade. My curiosity is whether P&O would allocate a cabin booked under a late saver fare at a higher grade within that category rather than upgrade a cabin booked at a specific grade (which they would be able to do under the booking conditions).

I stress again, this is not a moan, or even some silly hope for the upgrade fairy to come along, just pure curiosity!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you booked a Select fare you should have been able to book a particular cabin as it is only Early Savers and savers who have to take what they are given, as they have paid a lower price and rightly so.

P and O have said with the new fares the Select will get the upgrades but we will have to wait and see what happens as the sailings under the new prices don't start until April.

I have seen on the forum that some people have been allocated their cabins for early saver and saver and have been given the exact grade they booked.

I am still unsure as to why you didn't choose a cabin when booking.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

If you booked a Select fare you should have been able to book a particular cabin as it is only Early Savers and savers who have to take what they are given, as they have paid a lower price and rightly so.

P and O have said with the new fares the Select will get the upgrades but we will have to wait and see what happens as the sailings under the new prices don't start until April.

I have seen on the forum that some people have been allocated their cabins for early saver and saver and have been given the exact grade they booked.

I am still unsure as to why you didn't choose a cabin when booking.

To check the current price I did a dummy booking yesterday for a cruise I am taking in May. It was a select booking with the same cabin grade. Guarantees were all that were offered, no specific cabin numbers. :confused:

so how can they offer a select fare without cabin choice? If you can't choose your cabin it is not a select fare :rolleyes:

This is most confusing..I booked the Bruges mini-cruise on a saver fare and chose a balcony cabin, any balcony cabin,I don't care where. Does this mean I won't actually get a balcony cabin then?

You have a choice on Inside, Outside, Balcony, Suite.

If you book a Balcony on a discounted fair you will get a Balcony.

People paying full price have first choice on all the cabins. If you book a discount fair you get what is left.

Hi, this is my first ever post on a forum so please excuse me if I get the language etc wrong!

Has anyone received a cabin allocation yet for a guarantee cabin booked on a select fare? We have booked a guarantee in the lowest grade inside (because that was what was available). We are happy with the price we have paid and intend spending so little time in our cabin that this grade is fine. It is what we have paid for and what we are expecting so this is not a moaning post just one of curiosity. I notice that when late saver fares are available for a cruise they are on a guarantee basis for a type of cabin rather than a particular grade whereas we have booked a particular grade. My curiosity is whether P&O would allocate a cabin booked under a late saver fare at a higher grade within that category rather than upgrade a cabin booked at a specific grade (which they would be able to do under the booking conditions).

I stress again, this is not a moan, or even some silly hope for the upgrade fairy to come along, just pure curiosity!

Reading your post carefully I am going to assume that you were actually booked into some sort of saver fare since it is only a guarantee.

With P&O that guarantee is that you will at the very least get a cabin of that grade, but you are equally likely to get one of a higher grade.

But unless you have been sprinkled with super fairy dust, then don't expect to get a cabin in a higher category, eg ocean view or balcony, however if you do then please come back and tell us, if only to p*** off any select inside cabin passengers.

Hi. I have just done a few dummy bookings on p&o website and there are quite a few cruises that offer a guarantee cabin on SELECT fare bookings. So who does get the better cabin ?

Hi. Just to confirm it is definitely a select fare. Early savers were available when I booked, but taking into consideration the £45 on board spend with select fare and the £50 Feb special offer, the select fare was better value. Guarantee cabin on the grade I booked were the only choice, I could not choose a cabin.

Sorry to confuse....good at that!

ps. Late savers not available at the moment on the cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi again, we received our cabin allocation on Friday for our guarantee cabin booked under select fare. We have been upgraded by one grade from ND to NC. We have cabins above and below us so very pleased!

I noticed that saver fares became available for our cruise the same day as our cabin allocation. :):)

Hi again, we received our cabin allocation on Friday for our guarantee cabin booked under select fare. We have been upgraded by one grade from ND to NC. We have cabins above and below us so very pleased!

I noticed that saver fares became available for our cruise the same day as our cabin allocation. :):)

Glad you have now got your cabin number.and a little upgrade. When is your cruise?

Hi Trish,

Having effectively booked blind with a guarantee, at the moment we are happy with allocation, it is not directly under the theater for example, but I guess subject to change. We booked presuming we would get the grade we booked under so a one grade upgrade is unexpected and usually happens to other people not us! Not having chosen a specific cabin I feel very lucky with my little one grade upgrade! Hee hee, easily pleased!

I was hoping the upgrades for select passengers would be good not just one grade. I had a one grade upgrade last year and was given the noisiest cabin ever. Hope yours is better and you are happy with it.:cool:

Hi. i am thinking the same as you especially with the big price difference of the cruises that you can book now towards the select price. I keep doing a dummy booking and for the last 3 weeks the same cabins are still available on select fares , people who want to book later will surely book the saver fares so p&o should start moving the select fare paying passengers up to the dearer cabins.

But ultimately we should all be happy if we get what we book and not expect an upgrade. What I wasn't happy with (along with thousands of others) was how things panned out with the vantage/getaway system. I booked an inside on a vantage fare (as I was both naive and non flexible on dates). We then met people who had booked an inside on a getaway fare for a much cheaper price. Fair enough, until.....those people were upgraded to outside and balcony cabins when we were not. I know you will all be shouting "but you got what you paid for"!! Well I did and had a lovely cruise, just had the edge taken off by what many believe to be an unfair system.

Hopefully the new select/saver fare system will stop this.

However happy I am, should Mr P and O be reading this, then of course I would accept a free of much reduced price upgrade! ;)

Booked a mini cruise - Select fare, guarantee ND inside grade ie lowest grade possible. Received email to say been upgraded to a NA grade. Still an inside but the highest grade for insides so pleased. :D

Parents recieved a phone call from p&o this morning to tell them they have been upgraded from a GA balcony to a DA superior balcony on ventura for June, they had booked select fare. Good luck every one