Customary Tip for Room Service

rgmacm

I have found my coffee comes at the exact time I put on my little order form I put out the night before without double tipping so you would get that lightning fast service either way. They don't turn down tips so go ahead and tip all you want but don't think you're getting better service then anyone else. Princess has always been been great when it comes to service IMHO.

Hmmmm, well, I never believed I was getting better service than anyone else. We typically don't put the order card out on our door but call as soon as we wake up. In any case, I believe they work so hard and it's very well worth it to me to tip them an extra $5 for the great service they provide to us and everyone else.

The server gets it. It's not uncommon for them to 'tip-out' the behind the scenes staff or give them a portion of it, especially if they have a good day, but they are not required to.

Who gets the tip if you give cash when room service brings say coffee, juice & a few other things in the AM??? The person that brings it?? Or the person that prepared it for the cart. Or do they split it???

Of course we leave the auto-tip on.

We get a strap of $5 bills before we leave home for room service tips. We have found that after the 2nd day those room service orders come lightning fast! It's especially important when I need coffee in the mornings :D It's worth it to us and they are very appreciative of the extra tip.

The fact that you are tipping $5 bills is not the reason you get your coffee fast. An order of coffee does not have to come all the way from the kitchen.

But for people new to Princess and their room service, they should know that tipping will not get you faster or better service. And most often you will have a different server come to your door everyday. Don't mislead them.

Edited by eandj

The fact that you are tipping $5 bills is not the reason you get your coffee fast. An order of coffee does not have to come all the way from the kitchen.

But for people new to Princess and their room service, they should know that tipping will not get you faster or better service. And most often you will have a different server come to your door everyday. Don't mislead them.

This is one of the very few things I hate about cruise critic. So many people make so many assumptions and judgements of others. I wasn't aware you were cruising along with us as if you were a fly on our stateroom wall. Did I ever say I only ordered coffee? I don't think I mislead anyone at all. The extra tip is totally optional. We choose to tip $5. Others may not tip a dime and that's fine too.

I KNOW FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCES that when I would call room service to order whether it be breakfast, lunch or anything else, after the 2nd day our orders would start to come much quicker. Many times we've been quoted a wait time of 30-40 minutes and our order would show up in 10 or sometimes even sooner than that. Do you think that the room service staff don't talk amongst themselves about who is tipping extra?

Whatever it is, this is my experience. No, I don't feel I'm special in any way and I don't feel I'm being treated better than anyone else. Just because my experience and thoughts are different than your own doesn't mean they aren't valid.

I will continue to tip $5 for the service. You do whatever you wish. Have a great day!

This is one of the very few things I hate about cruise critic. So many people make so many assumptions and judgements of others. I wasn't aware you were cruising along with us as if you were a fly on our stateroom wall. Did I ever say I only ordered coffee? I don't think I mislead anyone at all. The extra tip is totally optional. We choose to tip $5. Others may not tip a dime and that's fine too.

I KNOW FROM MY OWN EXPERIENCES that when I would call room service to order whether it be breakfast, lunch or anything else, after the 2nd day our orders would start to come much quicker. Many times we've been quoted a wait time of 30-40 minutes and our order would show up in 10 or sometimes even sooner than that. Do you think that the room service staff don't talk amongst themselves about who is tipping extra?

Whatever it is, this is my experience. No, I don't feel I'm special in any way and I don't feel I'm being treated better than anyone else. Just because my experience and thoughts are different than your own doesn't mean they aren't valid.

I will continue to tip $5 for the service. You do whatever you wish. Have a great day!

Mike:)

This is one of the very few things I hate about cruise critic. So many people make so many assumptions and judgements of others. I wasn't aware you were cruising along with us as if you were a fly on our stateroom wall. !

wow.....Sorry I did something that you "hate about cruise critic". :D

After reading your initial post , you suredly wanted readers to infer that by tipping $5 you were getting your coffee faster than had you not tipped that. ( Using your words)

My point....To post that service is better/faster/more attentive etc. with a tip (no matter the value), is not being very complimentary to the Princess reputation nor helpful to newbies.

Edited by eandj

for people new to Princess and their room service, they should know that tipping will not get you faster or better service.

To quote another poster from another thread:

"It would be very helpful to see an authoritative citation to back up the above statement.";)

Maybe someone could poll the Room Service people and ask if they move slower when tipped generously.:rolleyes:

Maybe someone could poll the Room Service people and ask if they move slower when tipped generously.:rolleyes:

And vice versa.;) I'm sure since the cruselines largely base resigninig contracts on service ratings, they would love to know the results too.

Edited by eandj

The tipping/faster/better service thing is a well worn canard. While it shouldn't happen, it's human nature that when given a choice between two passengers, the one known for a better tip will often get selected first for service, all else being equal. I'm willing to speculate that room service staff do share which cabins have that rep. If there are 2 orders ready and one server, will the higher tipper probably go first? Yes. But that doesn't mean the next order will be delayed any more than staffing would warrant.

Slightly faster service for one party doesn't mean bad service for those who don't tip, and as a whole Princess staff provide good service regardless of tip status.