Mallorca on your own | Soller train & walk to Fornalutx

It turns out that the 21st of april will be bank holiday in most towns of the island (including Soller). Even if it's not regional bank holiday it will be a local one. So my advice is to make reservations :)

Thank you for letting me know. I had been struggling with the time for the reservation since we were going to try to take the local bus one of the directions. Since the bus does not operate on holidays, I guess we'll have to take a taxi, at least going up to the restaurant. May try to walk back after lunch, it will all depend on how my back is doing that day (I can never predict when it might act up, especially after airplane travel).

Thanks, again!

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should be fine. The second week of June is usually not that hot.

Anyway, even if it has no a/c since the train speed is not very high they just open the windows and the air flows through. I went once during summertime and I don't recall it was very bad. You run through tunnels for about 10 minutes, so the carriage also cools a bit.

Please be more specific about the time of arrival and departure of the ship, and the month of the year. You depend on the train/bus schedule mainly, that you can check with the links I posted.

From Palma city centre the train takes about 1 hour or a little more to Soller, the bus back a bit less. You have to get to the train station from the Port and back also.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've only read about a third of this, but am getting tired so will read the rest tomorrow. I want to say a huge thank you for posting this great information. I have been researching Palma and 7 other ports for several months now and knew a lot of what I need to do (assuming I don't change my plans!!) but you have given me lots more information to make my day go smoothly.

I have a couple questions, and I apologize if they are answered later on in the post, or are amazingly simple and stupid, but I don't like to leave anything to chance! (That's what cruising does to you, as you have limited time and too much you want to see!)

We MAY rent a car, and if so I was planning to take bus 1 to the office near the "Auditorium" near the port. Our ship is berthing at Paraires. For the bus, if I want to get off at the auditorium stop on Gabriel Roca, is there a bell to ring, or button to push, or what? I assume it's not a popular stop and that unless someone wants to get off, the bus will not stop there.

Also, can you venture a guess as to how long it took you to walk to the lighthouse at the Port of Soller?

I'm sure I will have more questions tomorrow, but for now, that's it - except to say that your instructions, insight, photography, willingness to help, and use of the English language are all fantastic! I am a big do it yourselfer, and a big planner, so your information is very valuable to me. Thanks again.

I've only read about a third of this, but am getting tired so will read the rest tomorrow. I want to say a huge thank you for posting this great information. I have been researching Palma and 7 other ports for several months now and knew a lot of what I need to do (assuming I don't change my plans!!) but you have given me lots more information to make my day go smoothly.

I have a couple questions, and I apologize if they are answered later on in the post, or are amazingly simple and stupid, but I don't like to leave anything to chance! (That's what cruising does to you, as you have limited time and too much you want to see!)

We MAY rent a car, and if so I was planning to take bus 1 to the office near the "Auditorium" near the port. Our ship is berthing at Paraires. For the bus, if I want to get off at the auditorium stop on Gabriel Roca, is there a bell to ring, or button to push, or what? I assume it's not a popular stop and that unless someone wants to get off, the bus will not stop there.

Also, can you venture a guess as to how long it took you to walk to the lighthouse at the Port of Soller?

I'm sure I will have more questions tomorrow, but for now, that's it - except to say that your instructions, insight, photography, willingness to help, and use of the English language are all fantastic! I am a big do it yourselfer, and a big planner, so your information is very valuable to me. Thanks again.

About the first question, I never take urban buses in Palma so maybe I can't be of much help. Nevertheless I think they have electronic displays showing the next stop on them. It is likely that the bus will stop anyway, if you are not sure just be near the driver and ask for instructions on when to get off. The auditorium will be on your left side, and in front of it at the opposite side of the avenue you'll see the typical tourist boats (like tenders)

If you have a car you can reach the Port de Soller lighthouse just by driving there. If you walk from Port de Soller, it's maybe 20 minutes to go and 20 minutes more to come back. Just follow the street at the end of the western promenade along the bay.

Take into account that there is a 6€ each way toll to reach Soller by car through a 5km tunnel. The free alternative is a windy road up and down the mountains. If you have a long port call in Mallorca and you rent a car I recommend making the following route: Palma - Valldemossa - Deia - Soller / Port de Soller and back to Palma through the tunnel, it's very beautiful. Use google maps for orientation, very usefull.

Also, the urban bus number 1 in Palma to reach the rent a car office is more expensive than the usual buses, as it is a special tourist service. So provided time, if you are fit enough, you can just walk there since it's a nice enough area along the marina and you won't have to wait for the bus.

Edited by Elmartellama

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Trying to decide on going to Caves of Drach on 9/13. Will be in port from 8-8pm. Am considering going to Soller or caves or both if time permits. How do caves compare w/ Luray Caverns or any of the following; Harrison's caves, Le Grotto Caves or Camuy Caverns? Is there enough time in this port to see both Soller and Caves?

Maybe there is, but seems quite a strange plan to be honest. You'd spend three hours driving and would be crossing the island twice.

If you want to rent a car, and if you want to visit Soller, you can combine it with a visit to Deia and Valldemossa (which are nearby) along the coast and the mountains.

Approximately how long is the tram ride from Soller to the port? Since we are going in November there is only one possible train at 10:30 & one return at 2:00 that we can do to arrive back in port on time.

Do the tram departures coincide with the trains arrival. In other words will we be able to get on the team after getting off the train or will we have to wait 30 minutes for the tram to arrive?

I would love to see the port area but don't want to cut the time to close that we would miss the train. The bus schedule doesn't work out any better either fir the way back.

Thanks for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It takes 15 minutes or so. The tram is operated by the same company, and you can see the timetable here:

http://www.trendesoller.com/en/cms.php/Timetable_and_Prices?sessid=971dc96819b7dd98b6930f0718a06cc4&l=en

There is a train at 10:30 and a tram at 11:25, it looks to be coordinated. The next one is at 12:00.

In both cases you have enough time to be back in Soller at 14:00. Taking the tram at 13;25 from Port de Soller should be OK, ask just in case. Port de Soller is not that big, and also you can take the bus back to Palma from Port de Soller directly (it stops in Soller on its way to Palma), Worst case scenario: taxi from Port de Soller to Palma.

In your place, I would take the 10:30 from Palma, the 11:25 Tram from soller, and the 12:30 tram from the port. This way you'd have an hour or so in Soller, and 45 minutes at the Port. While it's charming there's not so much to see at the Port, It's more a place to relax, take a coffee and so. Soller town has more character and places to visit.

Off course if all you need to do that day is relax by a sea café, then more time in Port de Soller should be fine.

In your place, I would take the 10:30 from Palma, the 11:25 Tram from soller, and the 12:30 tram from the port. This way you'd have an hour or so in Soller, and 45 minutes at the Port. While it's charming there's not so much to see at the Port, It's more a place to relax, take a coffee and so. Soller town has more character and places to visit.

Off course if all you need to do that day is relax by a sea café, then more time in Port de Soller should be fine.

That is what I had hoped to do. I just wasn't sure if the train arrived in time to catch the 11:25 tram.

There will be 14 of us & we planned to purchase the train/tram combo tickets in Palma so we'd be ready to go when we arrive in Soller.

I appreciate your help. I like to have everything lined out so we're not trying to figure it out last minute.

Cindy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you should be able to do that, unless there's some delay or something. On the way to Soller the train stops for 5 minutes at a viewing point, so it takes a bit longer.

Take into account that the tram capacity is not as big as the train. November is low season, so probably you'll be fine, many people don't go to the Port. But it can get crowded sometimes.

Elmartellama......Wow! Your review is so helpful and pictures are breathtaking. I am so glad I found this before we dock in Palma. We will be there this September 13th which is a Saturday. My husband and I will be renting a car for the day and would like to see Ca de Formentor, sa Calobra, and and any other areas that may be worth our visit within our time frame. We dock in Palma at 07:00 and leave at 17:00.

Is there a best route to take to get to theses areas and also what is the traffic generally like so we can plan our trip back to get to the port on time.

Grateful for any advice

Rose

You're welcome

Please realize that what you are attempting to do takes 5 hours of driving. I strongly suggest to use maps.google.com to calculate distances and times.

Mallorca has good roads, but going to Sa Calobra means going up 1000 meters or so above sea level, and then descending another 1000 meters, and then do the same on your way back. The road for the latest part is quite narrow. It truly is an iconic road, and many car ads are filmed there every year, but take that into account. Maybe you like to drive and you'll love it, but many people wouldn't.

Just look at this video! By the way, some times of the year the road is literally invaded by thousands of cyclists, being Mallorca probably the most important place for Europe's cycling tourism. Also the road to Formentor is very busy with cyclists.

[YOUTUBE]EgN_4g33y90[/YOUTUBE]

The road that goes along the northern coast, the Ma-10, it's quite beautiful and in good condition, but doing it entirely it's a bit tiresome. If you really want to go to the Formentor cape, you can always do just a part of it, for example: Palma - Soller - Deia - Valldemossa, then go back to Palma and if you have time head north to the Formentor Cape.

You don't actually need to get to the Formentor cape lighthouse to enjoy good views, since takes takes much more time. You can always always arrive to Formentor beach, which is halfway of the road to the cape and go back.

If you want to arrive all the way to the cape I suggest doing the whole day in Formentor, including going to the beach. Maybe visit Pollença town also when you pass by.

Another interesting option is driving to Fornalutx and Estellencs as well, doing Palma - Soller - Deia - Valldemossa - Fornalutx - Estellencs - Fornalutx - Esporles - Palma. You can do that if you skip Formentor. Many scenes of this long ad, are also recorded there (some are from Sa Calobra and Formentor too)

[YOUTUBE]azpxHbUyuOw[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Elmartellama

Elmartellama.....Thank you for your quick reply. Very good point about the cyclist, we never gave that a thought. I showed your reply and video clips to DH and we will be taking your suggestions regarding visiting Palma, Soller, Deia, and Valldemossa.

Thank-you for your experienced advice

Rose

You're welcome, let me know how did you like it when you're back :)

I think Soller Deia and Valldemossa is quite a good route. Maybe start with Valldemossa and then Deia and then Soller. This way, if you have time to spare when you are in Soller, you can always take the historic tram to Port de Soller.

Alternatives:

This is the map for the route I was suggesting, including Palma, Esporles, Banyalbufar, Estellencs, Valldemossa, Deia, Soller, Palma. Takes 2,5 hours.

https://www.google.es/maps/dir/39.5679651,2.63101/Budget+Alquiler+de+Coches+en+Palma+De+Mallorca,+Ingeniero+Gabriel+Roca,+16,+07014+Palma+de+Mallorca/@39.6251385,2.6487171,11z/data=!4m29!4m28!1m20!3m4!1m2!1d2.59244!2d39.6588716!3s0x1297f2f14bf94107:0x152bec02342a7169!3m4!1m2!1d2.4811022!2d39.6523482!3s0x1297f513476ea6b7:0xdf6933d820cbf2e!3m4!1m2!1d2.6526326!2d39.7625882!3s0x1297efa399b9a311:0x6c632746972606da!3m4!1m2!1d2.6585876!2d39.5642406!3s0x129793b4bba575e3:0x5cdcf03a5ead588f!1m5!1m1!1s0x1297926fab3c537b:0xea9393f3a8c5fbf0!2m2!1d2.631129!2d39.567993!3e0?hl=ca

This is the route you are planning, it's the same, only without Banyalbufar, Estellencs and Esporles. Takes just 1,5 hours.

https://www.google.es/maps/dir/39.5679651,2.63101/Budget+Alquiler+de+Coches+en+Palma+De+Mallorca,+Ingeniero+Gabriel+Roca,+16,+07014+Palma+de+Mallorca/@39.6616214,2.5855457,11z/data=!4m24!4m23!1m15!3m4!1m2!1d2.6105197!2d39.7110057!3s0x1297f1fbdb78f05b:0xdd7362b84b0577e5!3m4!1m2!1d2.6526326!2d39.7625882!3s0x1297efa399b9a311:0x6c632746972606da!3m4!1m2!1d2.6585876!2d39.5642406!3s0x129793b4bba575e3:0x5cdcf03a5ead588f!1m5!1m1!1s0x1297926fab3c537b:0xea9393f3a8c5fbf0!2m2!1d2.631129!2d39.567993!3e0?hl=ca

If you have time, I recommend including Banyalbufar and Estellencs, both are very nice little towns and the views along the coast are worth it.

On the way Soller - Palma there's a 5€ toll for the tunnel.

2013-06-07-banyalbufar.jpg

You have more pictures Flikr pictures here

Banyalbufar https://www.flickr.com/search?text=banyalbufar&sort=relevance

Estellencs https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=relevance&text=estellencs

Valldemossa https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=relevance&text=valldemossa

Deia https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=relevance&text=deia

Soller https://www.flickr.com/search?sort=relevance&text=soller

The whole area is declared Wolrd Heritage Site by Unesco.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Wow, thank you for such a wonderful detailed review just in time for our arrival on Celebrity Equinox 10/28th. Is this doable if we arrive 8am and need to be back on ship at 4:30pm....take ship's shuttle or taxi from cruise terminal to train station in Palma, train to Soller, walk around/shop in town, lunch, bus 211 back to Palma, walk around old town for about an hour then take shuttle/taxi back before 4:30pm? As an alternative, spend less time in Soller, take tram to Port Soller, sightsee, lunch, then bus 211 back (I assume we can catch bus 211 at the Port).

thanks

Yes, you can take the L211 bus from Port de Soller and Soller, check schedule here

http://www.tib.org/portal/en/web/ctm/autobus/linia/211

And also as an alternative you have the L210 bus from Port de Soller and Soller as well, it is slower since you go through the mountains.

http://www.tib.org/portal/en/web/ctm/autobus/linia/210

IMHO you try to attempt to do many things in a relatively short period of time. Just play it safe and look at current and past bus schedules, since they change according to the season, an late October is almost low season :)

thanks for the prompt response. Approximately what is the train ride time from Palma to Soller and is it any different from Soller to Palma?

thanks

Maybe 1 hour tops. The only difference is that when you go Palma -> Soller you stop at a viewing point for about 10 minutes. While you don't do that when you go back.

I recommend doing Palma -> Soller if you can.

Very excite we will be there on a Saturday as well. There are six of us (hard to get six people moving altogether in the same direction sometimes).

Let me make sure I've got this:

We are in port 0800 - 1600 (8 hours)

So...from the dock we take a taxi to the train station, then take the train to Soller, stroll around town through the Saturday markets, stop for a bite, take the train back to Palma, then a taxi to the ship? And we can do all this in 6-7 hours? Since there are six of us, is there a shuttle from the dock to the train station?

Gracias.