Mallorca on your own | Soller train & walk to Fornalutx

I don't know of a shuttle to the train station, but it may exist. If I remember correctly our cruise line (Oceania) provided a free shuttle to center city Palma, but I think it went to the Cathedral, which is not quite the train station. However, I know that a bus (#1 - but make sure it's not an airport EXPRESS bus) can take you from the port to the train station. It was easy to find it right outside the port and there's a HOHO bus stop right next to it. There's a bus to the beach somewhere not too far from there, but not at the same stop as the #1. If in doubt, look for the #1 on the bus stop - bus stops are well marked. For where we were going (just a little ways down the road to a rental car location) the charge was only 1,50 euro. (Our driver asked where we were going and when I told him the street he told me the fare.) To the airport, however, it is definitely 3 euros. The driver can provide change for small coins and probably small bills, and it's best to tell him/her where you're going (airport or city), as I think as long as you stay inside the city, the fare is 1,50 euros.

I think the bus stops at Plaça d'Espanya, which is where you catch the train to Soller. There are electronic indicators inside the buses which announce next stops, making it easy. Ring the bell when you see your stop is next. I went on the bus web site (EMTpalma.es I think?) and looked at route 1 to see which stops were before and after the stop I wanted. Bus web site is great. Anyway, once at Pl Espanya in Palma, notes I compiled say, "cross main avenue & find "Tren de Soller" station. It's an old building at street level. Do NOT go into underground station (where the regular trains/underground & intercity buses are.)"

We didn't actually take the train, and didn't go far into the city, so check this information before relying on it if decide to try the bus. Finding the stop was easy, the bus came fairly quickly, and was very pleasant and easy. Coming back on the bus was a little bit confusing to me, but it ended up being fairly easy for me to see the ship as I got close to the port, and then I just walked toward the ship. I think that was the "Club de Mar" stop - still not sure if that was the closest stop or not, but it worked. However, it was more of a walk from where I got off the bus than what I had done in the morning to get from the ship to the bus, but no big deal. (Just allow extra time, as always, to get back!)

Have fun!

Edited by roothy123

Great pics and advice on places to go and things to see! I am travelling to Majorca in April, via cruise ship, on Norwegian. I am still working to determine how much time we will have while there, as I know that is critical to what you can possibly see or do.

That said, the one thing I want to see, if time allows, is 'Cave of the Drach' Do you know where it is, how far it is from the cruise terminal, that sort of thing?

Hello Elmartellama. Thank you for the very useful information you have posted in this thread and your cruise review. It has been most helpful.

I have a question. Serenade of the Seas will be in Palma de Mallorca on 3 November and I would like to know where the ship will dock. Do you know? I believe it is Estacio Maritima, but the person I'm planning to meet is asking for exact information. Is it like most ports where all cruise passengers walk through the same terminal or central area?

My husband and I were in Palma last year and I honestly can't remember how we exited the ship.

Hello Elmartellama. Thank you for the very useful information you have posted in this thread and your cruise review. It has been most helpful.

I have a question. Serenade of the Seas will be in Palma de Mallorca on 3 November and I would like to know where the ship will dock. Do you know? I believe it is Estacio Maritima, but the person I'm planning to meet is asking for exact information. Is it like most ports where all cruise passengers walk through the same terminal or central area?

My husband and I were in Palma last year and I honestly can't remember how we exited the ship.

Yes, you will be docking at Estació Marítima (Poniente / Peraries). You'll be using the cruise terminal there, it's very easy, and you can meet that person there.

SERENADE OF THE SEAS AJACCIO

(FR) VALENCIA

(ES) 03/11/2014

08:00 03/11/2014

17:00 PONIENTE/PERAIRES

(P145) INTERCRUISES SHORESIDE PORT 90090

http://www.portsdebalears.com/25.php3?idioma=esp&puerto=4&diainicio=03&mesinicio=11&anyoinicio=2014&diafin=03&mesfin=11&anyofin=2014

do you have recommendations for a good, local restaurant in Soller, or alternately, Port de Soller? We enjoy eating were the locals dine.

There are thousands of restaurants in Mallorca (the restaurant per capita rate is just ridiculous), so most of them are good enough to survive. Therefore I don't know all places, but you can find something nice enough for sure. In Fornalutx you can go to that restaurant I suggested in the guide since the food is good and the views are stunning.

I'd check Tripadvisor and look for something that fits your budget and style. Once you're there check the outside and see if it appeals to you. Bear in mind that early November is low season already, so many places will be closed.

In Port de Soller the thing we usually do is to eat fresh fish or paella by the port or promenade. But then again, Soller is in an isolated valley and we don't go there often to properly recommend something. Like elsewhere it's usually a good sign to go to full places and not empty ones. But that of course depends on your preferences.

In Soller town the restarurants by the square are usually more touristy and expensive, there are some others in Carrer de sa LLuna which look nice as well.

Edited by Elmartellama

Yes, you will be docking at Estació Marítima (Poniente / Peraries). You'll be using the cruise terminal there, it's very easy, and you can meet that person there.

SERENADE OF THE SEAS AJACCIO

(FR) VALENCIA

(ES) 03/11/2014

08:00 03/11/2014

17:00 PONIENTE/PERAIRES

(P145) INTERCRUISES SHORESIDE PORT 90090

http://www.portsdebalears.com/25.php3?idioma=esp&puerto=4&diainicio=03&mesinicio=11&anyoinicio=2014&diafin=03&mesfin=11&anyofin=2014

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks very much. We dock in Parma in two dys. Just trying to finish before my poer ends.

So

Number 1 bus to Plaza Espagna

Stoller train to end station

Bus Number 210 to return to P. Espagna

Correct? How long should the budget for time from the time we get on the train until the time bus 210 brings us back?

That depends on what you do in Soller. You'll be going to Fornalutx, stay in Sóller, of go to Port de Sóller?

Right now the weather is just perfect with sunny days and 25ºC temps., but from Tuesday to Friday rain is expected, so take that into account if you want to go on excursions on foot for a long time.

• 4 months later...

Making use of the fantastic weather we're having at the moment, we decided to visit the Sóller valley again today. It's becoming quite a march tradition at this point.

This time we went by car with some friends, via the Sóller tunnel (5km, 5€ toll each way). And also had lunch in Fornalutx. So this could be a good reference for those of you renting a car, or spending time pre/post trip in Mallorca.

We started at 11:45h and were back at 17:45h aprox. So it was a 6h trip. We had time to visit Soller, Fornalutx and Port de Sóller, at a relaxed pace including lunch time, so this could be a good reference to you. Please note that Spanish people linger quite a bit at the restaurant after eating!

Some pictures, to test how they look like with my new phone ^_^ hoping it would be good enough for our next cruise review!

Let's start with Sóller

IMG_20150329_123105256_HDR.jpg

I can't really explain to you why there's a pig in this balcony, but hey! this is Mallorca, when you think you've seen it all...

15m01.jpg

On the same street the butterfly-based blinds that I mentioned last year. Loving the effect HDR does on this

IMG_20150329_130025432_HDR.jpg

It was a glorious sunny day. Sa lluna street has some interesting shops

IMG_20150329_130006602%281%29.jpg

Welcome to Orange County -not LA's one!- Just because there are so many orange trees in the area.

IMG_20150329_130459048.jpg

That's some good quality architecture, if you ask me.

IMG_20150329_130940862_HDR.jpg

Back to the car after 1h stroll aprox. There are many villas and very productive lemon trees as you can see on this picture!

IMG_20150329_130957046.jpg

It was 21ºC already and the drive to Fornalutx takes about 10 minutes. The landscape is inviting

IMG_20150329_133023574.jpg

It has been a very rainy winter in Mallorca, so everything is in bloom now. The terraced gardens and plantations are vivid green.

IMG_20150329_133709102.jpg

We started wandering around Fornalutx's cobblestone alleyways

IMG_20150329_134622520_HDR.jpg

It seems that the palm tree by the church has been victim of the "picudo rojo" bug (it's been a serious problem in Mallorca lately), but looks like it is already recovering.

IMG_20150329_134256428.jpg

And finally reached the restaurant

IMG_20150329_135133520.jpg

And after yet another wonderful paella and lunch, back to the car to the short drive to Port de Sóller (about 15 minutes).

IMG_20150329_153550104_HDR.jpg

About parking, we parked for free in Sóller, underground parking properly indicated (it's quite strange it is free being underground and everything though). In Fornalutx it was also free, but only because it was sunday. But even if the town is on a hill there are three parkings, so I don't think that should be a problem even if you have to pay. In Port de Sóller, we also parked for free since it was sunday. There's a big parking for a fee, so don't worry about that either.

Port de Sóller, there's a new charming promenade now.

IMG_20150329_162615161.jpg

The Sóller tram has been integrated in the promenade, makes for a good sight and ambiance. Loving the wooden waggons. Old style.

IMG_20150329_163358890.jpg

The beach is not that great for Mallorca standards, but the views are nice enough, with the two historic lighthouses on the background.

IMG_20150329_164437639_HDR.jpg

During the seventies and sixties some ugly buildings were built along the promenade. On the other hand, there are many lovely old buildings, some of them restored to its original grandeur, that are now cafes or hotels.

IMG_20150329_163956418.jpg

And that's all! hope you have a great time if you visit the area

IMG_20150329_164713861.jpg

Wow, you are killing me with those great photos. They're especially great for a smartphone. When you say HDR, does your smartphone actually have that? Didn't realize phones were that good. (Sigh!)

There are actually 3 lighthouses visible from the beach at Port de Soller if you count the one up on the hill across the water! I see you got all 3 in your picture.

I love those butterfly shutters. That whole shot looks kind of Gaudi-esque!

Thanks for taking the time to share these wonderful pictures!

• 7 months later...

I know that this is an old thread but I love the idea of your itinerary. We will be in Palma in November of next year with a cruise ship. I am aware that rain may change the plans but I do have a couple of questions.

Ship in port on a Sunday from 9AM to 7PM. I would like to catch the 10:30 train to Soller and then see the museum and take a walk to Biniaraix. Is it worth only going that far? Do you know if the Bar Bodega is open on Sundays? There seems to be a 4PM bus that we could catch back to Palma which would give us a little time to look around there.

Please advise any thoughts that you have regarding doing this on a Sunday.

Thanks

• 3 months later...

This is a fantastic thread but now I have a problem.

This will be our first time in Palma so I thought we'd do the HOHO bus.

But I didn't know about the train and I am a train nut.

So wondering if we should stay in Palma or go out to Stoller on the train.

We love scenery and wandering around narrow streets so it seems Stoller is the way to go.

Any advice?

Should you take the bus back to Palma, the bus stops at another location: number 35 Cetre Street:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Carrer+de+Cetre,+35/@39.7674564,2.7099289,163m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x1297e8b9cb2c0f2f:0xcd8ece5a7166768f

I looked at the map but can't tell where the stop is in relation to. Is the bus stop near the train station?

• 1 year later...
Can you tell me if it is possible to purchase tickets for the Palma-to-Soller train in advance, e.g. via a website? We will be in Mallorca on August 16 & assume it could be quite busy. Thanks :)

I might be wrong about this but I believe the answer is no. We were in Palma last November and I had planned to take the train to Soller. Unfortunately, a week before we left for Europe I saw that the train was

not going to be running due to renovation work. Just happened to see this on their website. You will enjoy

Mallorca!