Siracusa/Syracuse

karenbeanpole

• 1 month later...

I hope Cinnamon doesn't mind that I have copied her posting. I saw this on the Azamara forum," live from the Quest, April 30" thread, and thought it might be helpful

Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM

Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Saturday. 2.30 pm.

Spent a good morning in Siracusa. We shared a taxi up to the Archaeological park at the top if the town. We visited the Greek Theatre, Roman Amphitheatre, a grotto nicknamed the Ear of Dionysius and the place where they sacrificed bulls in Roman Times. It was absolutely heaving with tourists and organised groups with guides talking in many languages.

Another shared taxi back to the old town, 10 Euros between 4, and sat having coffee in the square. Quest docks right alongside Ortigia, the old area of the city. Unfortunately I did not find a Wifi hotspot, so no photos. One street leading off the square had a busy and fascinating market. Great looking fish on sale plus nuts, olive oils and all sorts of fruit and veg. Being a Saturday it was very busy with locals as well as tourists.

Lunch back on board in Windows and now a siesta. Mind you, John has found the Spurs game live on TV.

Tonight is the White Nights Deck party. We will probably have dinner in Discoveries first then go up for Crepe Suzette dessert at the Pool Deck. However there is a strong wind getting up. It is fine now after early rain but may be a bit cool this evening.

Has anyone docked here before? What's the town like? Anything to do?

We docked there and did a tour to the Arch.Park which was really interesting.It was not crowded that day we were there which made it really nice. We wandered around town after and had lunch at a small resto that looked good to us and it was. It was a relaxing day and I would not mind going there again.