Questions about the Unlimited Dining Plan on the Getaway

Accessbowtie

When I signed up for our Getaway cruise several weeks ago with my NCL Personal Cruise Consultant, we got an upgrade to a balcony along with the Unlimited Dining Plan which allows us to eat at a specialty restaurant every night if we choose.

My PCC insists that because we have the UDP my wife and I can order multiple main entrees from a specialty restaurant (I could get two or three ribeyes from Cagney's in one sitting). Where as someone who does not have the plan can only order one entree. Although it is my understanding from posts on this forum that someone who pays the upcharge can have multiple appetizers and desserts.

He also said I would not have to pay for some a la carte items from say Shanghai's or the Cake Boss place.

Can anyone confirm this to be true? I asked him multiple times if this was 100% true and he said it was. But he just did not seem confident in his "yes" answer.

Is Ocean Blue included in my UDP with no additional charge? I ask because it's the most expensive specialty restaurant.

And if you were wondering, yes I could easily eat three ribeyes if they are really that good. It's my fav cut of meat.

Edited by Accessbowtie

According to NCL's site:

Ultimate Dining includes:

• Dine in a specialty restaurant every night with the Ultimate Dining package
  • 20% discount at celebrity chef Geoffrey Zakarian's Ocean Blue on the Waterfront
  • 20% discount at a la carte venues (excluding entertainment based dining)
  • Not combinable with free upgrades from oceanview to balcony

Includes:

Cagneys

Teppanyaki

Le Bistro

Moderno

La Cucino

20% off:

Ocean Blue

Carlo's Bake Shop

A la Carte at Shanghai's and Dolce Gelato

I guess this is the reason your TA didn't sound so confident in his "yes" answer. :p

According to NCL's site:

• 20% discount at celebrity chef Geoffrey Zakarian's Ocean Blue on the Waterfront

Includes:

Cagneys

Teppanyaki

Le Bistro

Moderno

La Cucino

20% off:

Ocean Blue

Carlo's Bake Shop

I guess this is the reason your TA didn't sound so confident in his "yes" answer. :p

I'd be most concerned about the line I enlarged.

I think the special package we booked was the Balcony that included the UDP. It was only $20 more total than going from an ocean view to the balcony upgrade by itself. Made sense to spend $20 more and get the UDP for the wife and I.

I get the 20% off the a la carte restaurants and Ocean Blue. I'm fine with that. We probably would not be spending the extra money to go to Ocean Blue then.

But I'm most curious about how many entrees we can order with the unlimited dining plan at one sitting. Really the only place ordering more than one entree that interests me is at Cagney's. A 12 oz ribeye is not exactly a large piece of succulent dead cow. Maybe I want to try the ribeye and the prime rib at the same sitting. I'd rather eat more beef than say a soup or appetizer.

Thanks to all for the quick replies!

Well I do know that you can eat unlimited times at any of the places included even multiple times in the same day. Sooooo just explain to them that bringing a second entree will save them the trouble of you leaving after you eat the first dinner and coming rigth back five minutes later to eat a second time... I mean if they want to go through all the hassle of cleaning a table and making you come back to be reseated at a new table... See what I'm saying here?

According to NCL's site:

Includes:

Cagneys

Teppanyaki

Le Bistro

Moderno

La Cucino

20% off:

Ocean Blue

Carlo's Bake Shop

OP, as Mitsugirly posted, Carlo's and Ocean Blue aren't included (but receive a 20% discount). I know when I was on the Breakaway last summer, they kept bringing food out to me to "try" at Shanghai's (at no charge). It was way more than I could eat. I think my biggest bill there was $8.

Since you're a meat lover, Moderno is included in the UDP, too. You can eat steak until your heart's content, there. Plus, Moderno has a great salad bar.

As far as Cagney's, they went out of their way to serve whatever I asked for last summer. There was a bit of a row in these threads where someone was upset because they only got 3 or 4 shrimp in their shrimp cocktail. I told my server to bring me 6 shrimp in my shrimp cocktail. I had no problem getting them...they actually brought me 8 shrimp (they were big shrimp, too). I think you'll be fine.

BTW...for a short while a few weeks ago, NCL was offering the UDP and UBP as a throw in if you booked a balcony or above. Not sure they're still offering that promotion, though.

Edited by graphicguy

Well I do know that you can eat unlimited times at any of the places included even multiple times in the same day. Sooooo just explain to them that bringing a second entree will save them the trouble of you leaving after you eat the first dinner and coming rigth back five minutes later to eat a second time... I mean if they want to go through all the hassle of cleaning a table and making you come back to be reseated at a new table... See what I'm saying here?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I have no problem leaving and then coming right back in. Saves everyone time if they bring a second steak right away. The only real place I would probably want an extra entree is at Cagney's. I can get italian anywhere. How much french style food can one person really eat (not exactly my thing but I'll go there for the wife). Moderno's is unlimited anyway.

Graphicguy: That's the deal I got. Balcony got the UDP. That special ended March 11th. What's UBP?

How much french style food can one person really eat (not exactly my thing but I'll go there for the wife). Moderno's is unlimited anyway.

LOL my thoughts exactly on french food. On my 10th wedding anniversary my parent took us out to eat at a hoity toidy (for our area anyway) french place. NONE of us drink so zero spent on alcohol. Every course was so small and rich it was barely edible and not even close to filling. At the end the bill was almost $500! I really think the whole reason that the French can be the impression of being rude (to some people) is that they are ALWAYS SO DAMN HUNGRY! :D

*** No disrespect or offense intended towards anyone French here. Please do not take it as such. ***

LOL my thoughts exactly on french food. On my 10th wedding anniversary my parent took us out to eat at a hoity toidy (for our area anyway) french place. NONE of us drink so zero spent on alcohol. Every course was so small and rich it was barely edible and not even close to filling. At the end the bill was almost $500! I really think the whole reason that the French can be the impression of being rude (to some people) is that they are ALWAYS SO DAMN HUNGRY! :D

*** No disrespect or offense intended towards anyone French here. Please do not take it as such. ***

You know it's funny, I always skipped Le Bistro for the same reasons myself, but on my last cruise, I broke down and tried it. It was probably the best meal I've ever had on NCL, and that includes some great steak dinners at Cagneys! I had the rack of lamb, wow! All the courses were delicious, the portions were a good size, the preparation was wonderful and the service was impeccable. Give it a try one night. After all with the plan, if you don't like it you can always walk down the hall and have a steak afterwards. :D

You know it's funny, I always skipped Le Bistro for the same reasons myself, but on my last cruise, I broke down and tried it. It was probably the best meal I've ever had on NCL, and that includes some great steak dinners at Cagneys! I had the rack of lamb, wow! All the courses were delicious, the portions were a good size, the preparation was wonderful and the service was impeccable. Give it a try one night. After all with the plan, if you don't like it you can always walk down the hall and have a steak afterwards. :D

1) I DESPISE lamb. It always taste like rancid meat to me. Even the smell of it coking makes me literally sick to my stomach.

2) We have the UDP and plan to try everything at least once. Kind of the point of it actually. I absolutely will have zero problem leaving one eatery and heading directly to another if I was not satisfied at the first...

When I signed up for our Getaway cruise several weeks ago with my NCL Personal Cruise Consultant, we got an upgrade to a balcony along with the Unlimited Dining Plan which allows us to eat at a specialty restaurant every night if we choose.

My PCC insists that because we have the UDP my wife and I can order multiple main entrees from a specialty restaurant (I could get two or three ribeyes from Cagney's in one sitting). Where as someone who does not have the plan can only order one entree. Although it is my understanding from posts on this forum that someone who pays the upcharge can have multiple appetizers and desserts.

He also said I would not have to pay for some a la carte items from say Shanghai's or the Cake Boss place.

Can anyone confirm this to be true? I asked him multiple times if this was 100% true and he said it was. But he just did not seem confident in his "yes" answer.

Is Ocean Blue included in my UDP with no additional charge? I ask because it's the most expensive specialty restaurant.

And if you were wondering, yes I could easily eat three ribeyes if they are really that good. It's my fav cut of meat.

One entree at cagneys n Le bistro No limit at la cucina no limit on desserts apps salads soup. Just got off breakaway. If u want more than one entree it states on the menu the cost is $10

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

One entree at cagneys n Le bistro No limit at la cucina no limit on desserts apps salads soup. Just got off breakaway. If u want more than one entree it states on the menu the cost is $10

And you had the Unlimited Dining Plan?

Definitely give Moderno a try early on. All of the meats r delicious and no limit. Just don't fill up on salad bar. Lamb chops filet and chicken leg were my favorites. Just keep your card green and you will have plenty to eat. Oh and make sure you get plenty of pineapple

Definitely give Moderno a try early on. All of the meats r delicious and no limit. Just don't fill up on salad bar. Lamb chops filet and chicken leg were my favorites. Just keep your card green and you will have plenty to eat. Oh and make sure you get plenty of pineapple

I'll let my wife fill up on the salad bar. Been to one Brazillian steak house around here with the same concept as Moderno (green for more, red for whoa gimmie a minute). Loved it. So yes, I am looking forward to trying it on the Getaway also.

I'll let my wife fill up on the salad bar. Been to one Brazillian steak house around here with the same concept as Moderno (green for more, red for whoa gimmie a minute). Loved it. So yes, I am looking forward to trying it on the Getaway also.

Hope u have a great time. Let us know when u get back. Do u know about vibe?

Raspberry creme brûlée at cagneys is delicious. If u r celebrating a bday or anniv they will give u a delicious cake but ask them to send it to your room so u can enjoy desserts on the menu.

I'm a "chocolate" kind of guy. Especially chocolate cake and chocolate chip cookies. Yum!

[ QUOTE=Accessbowtie;42181791]I believe it's a sort of private sitting/pool area that costs extra to use for the week?

Yes it is great for us bc our kids are grown. If u cruise when there are a lot of kids and ship is overbooked it's a great place to hang out in peace. Bartenders are great n if u like lobster u must try the lobster roll. They will serve u fruit on skewers and cool towels all day long. Two private jacuzzis showers and facilities.

[ QUOTE=Accessbowtie;42181791]I believe it's a sort of private sitting/pool area that costs extra to use for the week?

Yes it is great for us bc our kids are grown. If u cruise when there are a lot of kids and ship is overbooked it's a great place to hang out in peace. Bartenders are great n if u like lobster u must try the lobster roll. They will serve u fruit on skewers and cool towels all day long. Two private jacuzzis showers and facilities.

I've thought of it but I don't know if I want to spend the extra money. We are not going to drink much either. Just to expensive. Was trying to get my PCC to throw in some Vibe passes but I don't think that's going to happen.