C1 or FV?

travelingirl70

I am about to strike as well! My question is - because it is a "family" cabin, won't we be more likely to have families with kids? Believe me, I love kids and we have them, but we have been a couple of times with unruly kids out on the balconies at all times of day and don't want to go through that again. Love well behaved kids. It will just be my dh and myself this trip. Plus, we are planning on July of next year. :eek: You are probably going to say there is no way of knowing and I guess that is true. Just trying to decide between a C1 and FV as well. We have had wrap balconies on other lines and this is the closest thing for us with Celebrity. Anybody have an opinion on this? Perhaps you have been in one of these a few times and all was well. Thanks for your comments and hope it will help others.

Keep in mind until these are released to the general public, usually after final payment sometime, you have to have 5(I think) people to book it. If there's just the two of you then you won't be able to book it for a trip for July of 15.

My concern for you is that I've seen many posters mention that the room that you are changing to has to be at least $1 more than the one you are coming from. I have no experience with that but have seen it many times. I personally don't see any issue with them letting you do a straight across swap though.

I've seen people post that as well. However, I've personally experienced that it's not true. On a cruise last spring, we were able to upgrade from an ordinary balcony to an AQ1 which was then priced at less than what we had paid for the ordinary balcony. It was after final payment, so we did not get a refund.

Keep in mind until these are released to the general public, usually after final payment sometime, you have to have 5(I think) people to book it. If there's just the two of you then you won't be able to book it for a trip for July of 15.

This does depend on how popular the cruise is. I upgraded to my first FV, mid June for our late Oct TA, when they were released to the general public.

I then changed to the corner starboard 9156 days before final payment, which was just 8 weeks prior to sailing, as I had booked direct with Celebrity UK.

We had booked a C1 for our Far East cruise on Millenium February 2013. I think we paid over the odds for it as it was the last one available but as it was a "special " birthday trip decided it should be as special as we could make it . I happened to check after final payment and lo and behold, there was the corner FV available. As I knew we'd paid "top dollar" anyway, and we weren't bothered about the extras that come with CC (it's all about the balcony !) , we were able to straight swap our cabin. We had 9156 and were thrilled with the extra space and ballroom sized balcony. The hallway was a perfect place for our luggage, and there was lots of it due to Far East bargains ! :D

Our first evening, our table companions mentioned about the noise from the bar above in the mornings as they had stayed in that cabin before,so we just thought we'd wait and see how things went. From about 6am it was noisy, chairs scraping, tables scraping. It woke us both up and although I spoke to the head barman later in the day and mentioned it, they obviously have their work to do and that's just the way they do it. After a couple of very early mornings, we mentioned it to Guest Relations . As luck would have it, the FV directly below us was available and we were moved down one deck.

We loved everything about it, our stateroom attendant even let us order breakfast from the CC breakfast list..

As it was a Far East Cruise, there weren't many (if any) small children aboard, however, there was a family, or maybe two, with teenage children who all had the C1 cabins on our deck and they frequently decided to meet in the C1 cabin right next door to us after the disco, late at night :eek:

The moral of this story is that ....ermmmmm ...I'm not sure really:confused:. We loved the FV ...would choose it again if the opportunity arose but on deck 7 or 8 . .

.. And you can choose who you share your cabin with, but you can't choose who is next door or above or below ;)

Happy cruising !

On hold right now. TA thinks it can be done but is calling X to confirm before I release my hold. When I told her I put a hold on the cabin last night she said "Smart!" I gave my fellow CCers credit of course! Be back soon with an update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

X told TA it can't be done. "System won't allow it." I explained that several others have done this under the exact same circumstances so asked that she call back and get another rep. TA happily obliged. On hold again.

Yes. I was told they can't downgrade the cabin no matter what after final payment.

Sorry for you.

Are the corner FVs always in the bow?

We find that feel much more motion forward than aft.

Thanks

Yes. I was told they can't downgrade the cabin no matter what after final payment.

I'm very sorry. That makes zero sense to me. I must be missing something.

Enjoy your cruise, regardless!

I'm very sorry. That makes zero sense to me. I must be missing something.

Enjoy your cruise, regardless!

No kidding!!! I will still have a great cruise. We have an aft C1 so we have a great cabin to start with. I think I'm more annoyed at the stupidity than anything.

I agree with HappyCruiser. Usually lateral tranfers are allowed. I would plead that this is exactly that a lateral transfer. Good luck!

My TA started to get a little annoyed with me pushing it so hard. She was professional, but she got on the line and said "Celebrity is a real stickler about this. I know you want us to keep calling until we get a better answer but we have called and verified this already. Sometimes CruiseCritic is great, but it is full of misinformation. I'm sorry if you thought this was possible."

She went on to tell me that I have a far better cabin now. I said, "By category yes, but I honestly don't care about Concierge points of whatever else comes with it. With 3 in a cabin, I was hoping for extra space."

I'm letting it go. It wasn't meant to be. I am still very happy about my first Aft cabin and we will be fine with DD14 in there. No big deal. We are all so happy to escape this cold and snowy winter, you could put us in a broom closet and we would feel like we had won the lottery!!!!

I agree with HappyCruiser. Usually lateral tranfers are allowed. I would plead that this is exactly that a lateral transfer. Good luck!

And just to be clear, my TA said this was a "downgrade" and that's why it couldn't be done. I didn't inquire about lateral transfers, but I think that would be fine.

But it's not a lateral transfer according to Celebrity's stateroom categories. The OP was (is) in Concierge Class, where, among other things, she gets extra Captain's Club points for being in that class and other perks that go with CC (whether or not folks think them valuable). FV is a lower stateroom class; no extra Captain's Club points, no other perks.

The FV cabin may be more desirable physically, but Celebrity considers it to be in a lower class of staterooms than CC.

Edited by Turtles06

My TA started to get a little annoyed with me pushing it so hard. She was professional, but she got on the line and said "Celebrity is a real stickler about this. I know you want us to keep calling until we get a better answer but we have called and verified this already. Sometimes CruiseCritic is great, but it is full of misinformation. I'm sorry if you thought this was possible."

She went on to tell me that I have a far better cabin now. I said, "By category yes, but I honestly don't care about Concierge points of whatever else comes with it. With 3 in a cabin, I was hoping for extra space."

I'm letting it go. It wasn't meant to be. I am still very happy about my first Aft cabin and we will be fine with DD14 in there. No big deal. We are all so happy to escape this cold and snowy winter, you could put us in a broom closet and we would feel like we had won the lottery!!!!

You have a great attitude and I am sure you will enjoy your cruise!

Well, I would be getting annoyed with your TA who appears to be in Celebrity's corner instead of your corner. There is absolutely no reason why you can't make this transfer.

I also do not wish to stir the pot but I had booked CC cabin 7206 for our May cruise to Bermuda. After I made our final payment I noticed that several FV cabins had come available. I did not book through a TA I booked directly with Celebrity. I called them and switched our cabin for FV 7202 with no problem at all. There are 3 of us in the cabin, I also wanted the extra space since our teenage daughter is coming with us. I don't understand at all why you were not able to switch. Regardless of whether you are able to get the cabin or not I hope you have a great cruise.