Anyone sailed RCCL FOS (89% rating) or Allure (87%) & Breakaway (62%)& can ease mind?

bingo3

Now I'm confused. We have always taken Celebrity and love them. I was checking the prices for NCL Breakaway and I can get a mini-suite for way less than a normal cabin on Celebrity. Have any of you taken Celebrity? I don't get why NCL ISO much cheaper. Service, food???

Pricing is based on supply and demand the price goes up as the occupancy goes up and visa versa. The low prices tell me that the over all cruising community is not enamored with the cruise line or ships.

The middle of last week I got an e-mail sale from one of the biggest and best online cruise agencies. They have, at least as if an hour ago, balconys on the Getaway for $749 p.p. This was for almost every cruise between September and just before Christmas. They were also offering $400 per cabin for the first 200 bookings, and $200 for bookings after that.

Bookings for RCL's new Quantem of the Seas are going for 2-3 times that with no obc.

I think NCL's biggest PR problem is based on their product from years ago. We went on the Norwegian Sun about six years ago and when we got home we vowed never to do it again, We've done over 15 cruises since then and haven't looked back. We know a lot of people who have done more cruises than us, but nobody who has done more than one on Norwegian, and they used the same reasoning as us.

By reading the boards, and seiing their ships in port, it's apparent that they have loyal customers, but it doesn't meet our requirements.

Touche. So I'll withdraw that theory.

For what it's worth, I took the inaugural transatlantic on the Breakaway and hated it (and I'm not a New Yorker). I attributed it more to disliking a "mega-ship"--this was my first--than the Breakaway per se. I have difficulty analyzing what exactly I disliked about the Breakaway. Everything was spanking new and gleaming; the crew was wonderful. Food and entertainment met cruise standards.

Maybe all the interior public areas seemed inward-looking rather than focused on the sea? Perhaps I was spoiled by the near perfect mix of indoor/outdoor public space in the Jewel class ships? Maybe just too many people? Dunno!

That argument is a fallacy unless you can then explain how Explorer of the Seas, which has sailed out of the NYC market year round for YEARS now, maintains an 82% rating, which isn't amazing but is still pretty solid, versus Breakaway's 62%. Yes, Explorer sails from across the river in Bayonne, but it's the same passenger base.

Freestyle dining vs Anytime Dining.

Although on the surface they look like the same thing, they function differently.

The needs of the kitchen in terms of layout and staff is very different if you are serving in restaurant style (continuous) service like Freestyle as opposed to a mass seating.

When ships offer both services, it is difficult to do both well just due to logistics.

If you were to do a behind the scenes galley tour on NCL and CCL and talk to the staffs you can easily see why combined service is problematic.

Edited by MagnoliaBlossom

The ratings for Breakaway are pretty low, 62% compared to other lines' similar or larger sized ships. I have sailed FOS and loved it. Has anyone sailed FOS AND Breakaway and had good experience? Just wondering if Breakaway is really that bad compared to FOS. Hoping not! Breakaway is costing me considerably more than FOS did and I want a good experience. I know a cruise is what you make of it, etc., but people are writing reviews for all lines and I am sure they are just as critical for other lines. I wouldn't think that all the "negative" people just sail NCL. The low rating is disconcerting and also makes me nervous......

Just looking for some affirmation from someone who has sailed FOS or even Allure/Oasis, also with higher ratings.

Thanks!!

every ship and every line will have positives and negatives. To be honest, Allure does get excellent ratings and apparently is a excellent ship, but the negatives about Breakaway might be a little overdone. They had problems when they first started sailing, especially service related or so I hear. I think, for the most part those negatives have been somewhat resolved. Check out the last 20 readers reviews right here on CruiseCritic. You will see there is little reason to be nervous. Nita

Edited by newmexicoNita

Hi all!

I have been on all 3 of those ships (FOS twice) & wasn't that impressed with Breakaway only because I'd heard so much hype about it building up to my inaugural Bermuda sailing. I also had been on Epic 3 times so was comparing the 2 with Breakaway coming in 2nd.

It still was a lovely cruise, loved sailing away from NYC & going to Bermuda. The food was good, entertainment great & the cabin/ship lovely.

I'm going on Getaway in May & really looking forward to that, sure hope it compares to my Epic experiences.;)

~ Jo ~ :)

I think you have a very objective view of what you experienced and why. I will add, inaugural sailings are not the best way to judge a ship: I am sure you realize that. We did do one though, we did the Jewel and it was a great experience. Even then, I look back and realize there were snags, mainly in the MDRs.