Spending a Day on St. John

Host Anne

Hi Anne, Thanks for posting a new thread about St. Johns. I was planning to head to St. Johns on our own when we come to St. Thomas. Usually, I prefer to go on my own than do a ship excursion but this time around, we are going to take a ship excursion ferry round trip to and from.

The cost for the ship's excursion on Royal Caribbean is $34 compared to the $48 DIY. We get about 4-4 1/2 hours on St. Johns.

Just thought I'd mention this option for anyone wanting a direct route to St. Johns for less money.

We are considering the same. But keep in mind, the RCCL tour for $34 only gets you to Cruz Bay. Once there, you'll need a taxi. Based on Host Anne's prices, that's another $14. Brings you back up to $48.

The RCCL ferry does sound like the best option. Pick up pier side right off the ship. Less hassle. But still pricey for a family of 4 to visit a beach. I guess nothing is "cheap".

Happy travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MDSue ~ I did mention in the initial post that folks should check with their cruise lines for St. John excursions/transportation as well. You do need to factor in all costs when you are comparing. In doing recent comparisons, the total costs of going on your own versus using the cruise lines for ferry transportation are running about the same since the cruise line does only get you to Cruz Bay. Then if you want to go to beaches, you are on your own at an extra cost.

There are other St. John excursions offered by cruise lines as well. You need to determine which way you'd rather go. There is less stress for some if you are going with a cruise line excursion or transportation. Pick what is best for your needs.

Edited by Host Anne

adonisr ~ we've never needed an umbrella on the north shore beaches. At the time of day cruise line passengers are on the beach, you'll always find shade near the palm trees and mangroves. There are lots of nature-made shady areas on these beaches. I'll try to find a photo to post! :)

We are considering the same. But keep in mind, the RCCL tour for $34 only gets you to Cruz Bay. Once there, you'll need a taxi. Based on Host Anne's prices, that's another $14. Brings you back up to $48.

The RCCL ferry does sound like the best option. Pick up pier side right off the ship. Less hassle. But still pricey for a family of 4 to visit a beach. I guess nothing is "cheap".

Happy travels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know if you can take the ferry back whenever you want or is there a set time.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic app

Does anyone know if you can take the ferry back whenever you want or is there a set time.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic app

You can come and go as you wish on the independent Red Hook ferry (every hour on the hour as stated). If you go with the RCI excursion there is one set time to go and come back. I hope that answers your question.:)

Do you know if you can rent stand-up paddle boards at any of the beaches on St John? We are traveling with our kids ages 9 and 11. What beach would you recommend for kids of that age?

Thanks for all the great info and getting around St John! Very helpful!!

Do you know if you can rent stand-up paddle boards at any of the beaches on St John? We are traveling with our kids ages 9 and 11. What beach would you recommend for kids of that age?

Thanks for all the great info and getting around St John! Very helpful!!

They have water sports equipment rentals at Cinnamon. I saw kayaks - I just don't remember if I saw stand-up paddle boards. You could contact them and see: http://cinnamonbay.com/watersports.html

I think Cinnamon is great because it's bigger, they have more activities, easy access to bathrooms, restaurant, snacks, etc. Trunk has everything too though except for the water sports rentals. Although, Trunk's a smaller beach so less room to spread out and run around.

We will be in St Thomas from 11-6, do you think we would have enough time to enjoy St John? We've been to St Thomas several times and would love to try St John but the timing is a little different with this cruise.

We went to Cinnamon Bay last month. It is the next beach drop-off after Trunk - very easy. No cost to get in. It's bigger than Trunk - no problem finding a nice place to sit. Chair rentals, a snack bar, restrooms and showers - all very nice. The snorkeling was great. There is some nice coral, lots of fish, and some bigger fish out around the island that you can easily snorkel over to. We both went all the way around the island a few times. We took turns snorkeling so one of us stayed with our stuff on the beach. My husband and I each saw a nurse shark (or some other kind of smaller shark), and my husband saw a sea turtle. Those sightings were by the island. As with trunk, bring lots of cash or a credit card if you want to rent anything. The deposits are large. For a folding chair, the deposit was $25. When you're ready to come back, there are taxis. We did have to wait about 10 minutes until there were enough people to fill the taxi so don't cut it too close if trying to make a ferry back.

I will say that the day we were there, there were multiple ships in port and we thought Trunk would be packed. We were there in January with only our ship in port and it was so crowded we couldn't find a place to lay our towels. But others on our ship coming back said that Trunk wasn't too bad and they enjoyed it. But they got there early - about 9:30 am. It was more around 11:30 when we got there.

Have fun!

Thanks for your info. Also thanks to OP for this thread. Does anyone have pictures of these different places? I would love t see some. We are planning on going to St Johns on our upcoming cruise on the Carnival Valor in Jan of 2015. I love over planning and researching things. Thanks

Thanks for your info. Also thanks to OP for this thread. Does anyone have pictures of these different places? I would love t see some. We are planning on going to St Johns on our upcoming cruise on the Carnival Valor in Jan of 2015. I love over planning and researching things. Thanks

I went to Photobucket and typed in the search for Cinnamon Bay. Tons of pix. Check it out.

IMG_2759.jpg

Celebrity offers "Self Explore St. John" (STO3) @ $35 per person - starts at 10 AM and lasts 6.5 hours

How's this different than the "Transportation Services and Varlack Ventures" ferry that runs from Charlotte Amalie → Cruz Bay @ $26 per person ?

http://www.(vinow dot com)/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/#st-john-passenger-ferry-red-hook-to-cruz-bay

10 AM ferry from Charlotte Amalie

3:45 PM return from St. John takes 45 minutes, arrives back at 4:30 PM - same as STO3 ?

Edited by Flaming Homer

I know the ferry from Red Hook is how most get to St John's but has anyone taken the ferry from Charlotte Amalie I think it is around the cruise port.....? It says it goes straight from there to St John's Cruz bay. It is a longer trip but possibly less money??? I am not sure if I understand it correctly. Any help would be awesome, Thanks. :cool::D

I know the ferry from Red Hook is how most get to St John's but has anyone taken the ferry from Charlotte Amalie I think it is around the cruise port.....? It says it goes straight from there to St John's Cruz bay. It is a longer trip but possibly less money??? I am not sure if I understand it correctly. Any help would be awesome, Thanks. :cool::D

From what I understand that ferry leaves from downtown Charlotte Amalie, not from the cruise port. Also it is not as reliable, so not as good an option.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Telli ... for us, 11 - 6 is enough time to visit St. John but it doesn't give you a ton of time there. You need to be off your ship ASAP and make sure you catch the noon ferry to St. John. That gets you to Cruz Bay by 12:20. You'd want to take the 4:00 PM ferry back at the latest so you'd have about 3.5 hours on St. John. Worth it to us but perhaps not to all.

Here's a link to my photos from last year....

https://stjohnmarch2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

ENJOY!

Celebrity offers "Self Explore St. John" (STO3) @ $35 per person - starts at 10 AM and lasts 6.5 hours

How's this different than the "Transportation Services and Varlack Ventures" ferry that runs from Charlotte Amalie → Cruz Bay @ $26 per person ?

http://www.(vinow dot com)/general_usvi/interisland_ferry/#st-john-passenger-ferry-red-hook-to-cruz-bay

10 AM ferry from Charlotte Amalie

3:45 PM return from St. John takes 45 minutes, arrives back at 4:30 PM - same as STO3 ?

To start, the Charlotte Amalie ferry can be undependable. It doesn't always run when they say it will. Next, you have to get from your ship to the ferry dock so you'll have to add a taxi fare to the ferry charge. The Self Explore is probably a good way to go. It gives you almost 6 hours on St. John. That makes for a great day!

If your not interested in snorkling, which beach would you recommend? Thanks

Hawksnest & Cinnamon are great choices. Cinnamon is a big beach ... great for walking or relaxing and has a concession stand and chair rentals. Hawksnest is smaller but pretty and only has restroom facilities.

I agree that Trunk is spectacular even if you don't snorkel. But if there are a lot of ships in port, I'd skip it and do Hawksnest or Cinnamon.

All the North Shore beaches of St. John are beautiful.

Hawksnest & Cinnamon are great choices. Cinnamon is a big beach ... great for walking or relaxing and has a concession stand and chair rentals. Hawksnest is smaller but pretty and only has restroom facilities.

I agree that Trunk is spectacular even if you don't snorkel. But if there are a lot of ships in port, I'd skip it and do Hawksnest or Cinnamon.

All the North Shore beaches of St. John are beautiful.

My husband and I will be in St. Thomas on the Valor on May 5. There is one other ship in port, bringing the passenger total for St. Thomas to 5,934. Would you suggest trying Trunk Bay or is would that probably be a very crowded day?

If you don't suggest Trunk Bay, what would be the next best choice? We love to snorkel and do not like huge crowds. Thanks!