Host Kat >^..^<

Welcome aboard fellow Bead Brigade members! Part 2

Welcome home Beadies!:D I see you coming up the bay now. Hope you are catching your last zzzs aboard this Grandeur cruise and have an easy debark and ride home later in the day. Once you have gotten back to reality and caught your breath, fill us in on how your cruise was. Did you have Capt. Ante and who was CD?

Welcome home Beadies!:D I see you coming up the bay now. Hope you are catching your last zzzs aboard this Grandeur cruise and have an easy debark and ride home later in the day. Once you have gotten back to reality and caught your breath, fill us in on how your cruise was. Did you have Capt. Ante and who was CD?

Thanks DeltaBlue.

Just passed under the Key Bridge a few minutes ago. Good to be off the rough seas!

Yes, Captain Ante and Bob was the CD.

Welcome back beadies!

Hope everyone had fun despite the rough seas.

For those who just got back how was your cruise? How was the food? Did the ship have any mechanical problems after the engine was fixed (that you know of).

Inquiring minds want to know.

We're back safe & sound thanks to Capt. Ante and wonderful crew. The storms caused an itinerary change and although no one admitted it, I think there was a stabilizer problem because of the extreme rolling back and forth. The first night had the ship rocking with drawers opening/closing, doors swinging and things on counters flying around. Needless to say everyone got no sleep that night leaving Grandeur filled with sleepless zombies on day 2. One day there was a power failure and Capt. Ante said an engine failed another time. The wind was basically a factor the entire cruise but it didn't really bother anything we had planned. Capt. Ante, himself, kept everyone fully informed of everything he was doing while explaining the decisions he was making to keep us safe . Big Bob is the cruise director and I think he's the best we've had on any cruise. One thing he didn't do was read the Cruise Compass every morning @ 10:00 which I thanked him for not doing and both he & Capt. Ante were very visible and accessible. Sadly, Capt. Ante is leaving Apr. 5th to be stationed in Europe so he can be closer to his children and family since his wife died suddenly late last summer. One of the CD's staff, Orlando, is also leaving and being assigned to Adventure.

They changed the menu in MDR which didn't affect us because we ate every meal in WJ because of not wanting to sit for 2+ hours in MDR. I have heard mixed reviews on new offerings. Entertainment has been declining in recent years and this cruise was no different with only one show worth seeing, IMHO.

St. Thomas became instantly wall-to-wall people when Allure docked which made us grateful for the intimacy afforded by Grandeur.

All-in-all it was a great cruise and the few hiccups aren't going to dissuade our decisions of when to sail or what ship to sail.

On a positive note, Sandra & I achieved D+ on this cruise and if we remain healthy, able to cruise and live to 104, we might become Pinnacle.

Tommy...thanx for all the info on your cruise. Was looking forward to sailing with Capt. Ante again and thought, from the schedules I'd seen, that he'd be aboard for my April 14 cruise. I totally understand him wanting to be assigned closer to his home. I was just getting used to his unique sailaway music.:D

Also encouraged by your comments about Big Bob which are different from other takes I've heard. Can't please all the people all the time. The CD does not make or break the cruise but they do set an overall tone. Wonder if he'll still be aboard or if there will be a change. I got the entertainment lineup for our cruise and see at least a few new names along with Tango Buenos Aires back on the ship. I no longer go to any of the production shows.

How different are the menus? Were they tweaked or totally redone? Someone mentioned new menus but I thought they were referring to Chops. Guess there will be some surprises ahead and hope they will not be more of the rough seas you encountered.:eek:

Congtats on D+! That is a nice place to be and about as far up the ranks as I am likely to go in my lifetime. Looking forward to sharing some time with you in the D+ lounge next time around.;)

Thanks Tommy!

Sorry to hear of all the mechanical problems. There's been a change to the April 5 cruise, now overnighting on Nassau to work on something (minor according to rci). Sure wish they would fix everything.

We gave up on traditional dining because of the 2 plus hours to eat. We tried my time dining a few years ago. We eat around 5:30. We make a standing reservation for each night and have the same table and wait staff. We're always done in an hour! Not sure why but service is quick. If we want to eat elsewhere on any night we just let them know so they can use our table. Works great.

Tommy--Thanks for the update. DH and I are in a similar situation. We made D+ two years ago, but will need to live to our mid-nineties to reach Pinnacle. :D

Dixie-- DH and I have tried MTD for the last 3-4 cruises. I like the much faster pace for this. On the Radiance last fall they put us [and our travel companions] with other people. I liked that. I have not found this to be the usual practice. On our cruise last week we sat alone on 11 of 12 days. One of the things I like about cruising is getting to know and talk to other cruisers. We could ask to share, but most of the tables we 2 and 4 tops. So, it did not really lend itself to that. I still prefer traditional late dining.

It is a shame Grandeur has Nassau overnight. There is really nothing to do there overnight. On a cruise last year we were there until midnight. DH and I decided we would take a walk after dinner. There was NOT ONE PERSON OUT. It was very dark and sketchy. A policeman suggested we return to the ship. :eek: We were only 1 block from the ship. The only thing I would do there after dark is take a taxi to Atlantis.

On grandeur there are tables for up to 8 on my time dining. We usually travel with other beadies and sit at the same table for 6 or 8 each night. Most of the 2 tops are so close together it's almost like a large table.

I doubt if we ever go back to traditional dining.

Dix...where did you find the info about the change to the 4-5 schedule change? I don't like hearing about all these engine/mechanical issues.:eek: They need to keep our lady shipshape.;)

Someone posted an email they got regarding the change on that site I can't name. Grandeur has a fan page there so lots of info good and bad is posted by current and past cruisers.

I don't like these mechanical issues either. Very worrisome.

Here's a question for any off Grandeur's last cruise...in addition to the new menus in the MDR, did you notice any changes to what was available in the Jammer or at breakfast/lunch in the MDR? Wondering how extensive the changes are.:confused:

Here's a question for any off Grandeur's last cruise...in addition to the new menus in the MDR, did you notice any changes to what was available in the Jammer or at breakfast/lunch in the MDR? Wondering how extensive the changes are.:confused:

The changes have been mostly at dinner: Jerk Chicken was added with a few other dishes and there was no sign of the dreaded pickles & beets version of their Stroganoff :D

Breakfast and lunch in the MDR have remained the same. Not really a fan of the food, but that's not why we cruise.

This was the first time we enjoyed MTD, but that was because we dined each night with friends; Stella, Gail, and Deb & Chuck.

We did it ourselves once on another cruise and hated it; actually skipped dinner on two nights just to avoid the experience.

They were really trying to drum up business for Chops; offering discounts and free champagne. Our group ate there more than once.

The new items show up in the jammer as well, but they aren't Earth shaking changes.

I know that I'm posting kind of late about the 3/3/18 cruise but I have been very very sick half way through this cruise with the Flu caught on 3/8/18.(Never ever had the Flu). Spent half of the cruise going to the Infirmary for nebulizer treatments and meds with a temperature of 104 at one point and being quarantined for 24 hours with free room service and a credit that they said they will send me for being quarantined running up a bill that I am thankful that I had cruise insurance coverage! Nevertheless I enjoyed the cruise and being with the Beadies that were aboard and I will still cruise regardless of any sickness that I might catch because it is like falling off a horse...you just have to get back on again and keep on keeping on. It was a very rocky cruise more than I have ever experienced and it made me think that the stabilizers were not working properly because I have been on other cruises with similar weather and it wasn't so rocky like this cruise was.There was one night where we were wakened up like 3am in the morning because the ship rolled pretty badly and threw everything in our room on the floor and it scared me awful like the Poisidon Adventure movie because it rolled really HARD! But the captain assured us the next morning that all was well and it was going to be Ok and it was. That was the only time that I have ever felt unsafe on a cruise ship. We also had rocky rolling seas coming back.I like Captain Ante and he was the best captain I have even talked to as he was pretty visible around the ship and running into to him walking down our corridor where I got to talk to him and seeing him getting his own food in the WindJammer.

Stella...sorry to hear that you were so ill and that your cruise was so rocky! Do hope by now that you are feeling much better. Glad to know that you were not put off cruising for good. Here's wishing that all of your upcoming cruises are smooth as glass.:D

Stella...sorry to hear that you were so ill and that your cruise was so rocky! Do hope by now that you are feeling much better. Glad to know that you were not put off cruising for good. Here's wishing that all of your upcoming cruises are smooth as glass.:D

Today(April 1st is the first day that I have felt better! When I get something it lasts a long time! I still have meds to take and that helps. Thank you for your concern. I did still have a great cruise though and Gail was a great comfort to me as my roomie ever being positive and humorous at times. She said to me one time " Stella you are so pale you are almost white" that cracked me up inside since I was so sick that I could not laugh out loud. It's always a comfort to have someone nearby when you are so sick that that you hardly know your name even! She was there to check on me constantly and I didn't even ask her to. I am ever in her debt for this...

Stella --so sorry that you were sick on your vacation. That is always a bummer. :(

Did the ship rock while you were sailing in the Caribbean? We were on a cruise at the same time. [Celebrity Reflection left from FLL] We found that there were small craft warnings in all of the islands. However, the ship did not do any rocking.

They cancelled all of the excursions that were by boat. We went to the beach in Barbados and the whole bay had lines of boats at anchor.

On St Lucia the storm had pushed sand into the roads and was so high there was no beach at Pigeon island. We had to go to another beach. We just laid a towel on the sand because there was only room for 1 line of umbrellas and that area was all taken. They had used front end loaders to move sand out of the parking lot.

We were told it was as a result of the terrible wind/snow storm in the NE. The waves were high that far away. [also the full moon--called it King tide] The storm formed off the coast of VA/NC.

We are glad everyone on the Grandeur made it through safely.

Hi everyone , Just wanted to let you know I m doing ok I had surg. on feb 8 was in ICU for 10 days which was 4 days less than anticipated. My surgeon are very pleased with my progress & I can now eat real food ! I have an appointment with Chemo Dr Monday, hoping to find out when next chemo treatments begin. then it is back to the surgeon on the 11th hoping he will remove the feeding tube. Feeling pretty good, hair is starting to grow back but will probably loose it again when chemo starts .

I was able to attend my grandaughter's wedding in Pa. What a wonderful 4 dys & the weddong was Beautiful

Please keep me updated if you all decide to gather for lunch ... Saturday's are usually best for us since Skip works most Sundays

but during the week will also work. Sorry to hear that you had Rocky seas it was quite a storm we lost some flashing on our home & still waiting for the repairs to get done, contractor has been very busy ! Miss all of you and hoping &looking forward to sailing with all of you soon . Just have to wait and see the result of the chemo which will probably be June or July .. I go back for CT scans in June

Miss all of You I do not come on cruise critic too often so if you all decide to do lunch someone email me

Barb

Barb- how great to hear from you and know that you are doing well! I have been thinking a lot about you lately and wondering how you were getting along.

I hope you and Skip can cruise next year. A few of us are booked on the April 6, 2019 sailing. It would be great to see you.

Please let us hear from you from time to time.

Stella- so sorry that you got so sick on your cruise. Gail had said you got sick but I didn't realize it happened so early on in the cruise.

You know I can sympathize with you! It was last April that Kelly and I both got the flu on our cruise. I got sick the next to the last day and Kelly got sick the day we got back. In hind sight I should have gone to see the ship doc. I did have insurance. But I waited and was so ill we had to stop at a doc in the box place on the way home. Almost got sent to the hospital! It took a few weeks for me to get over it. I won't give up cruising either! I will be even more careful of germs next time.

And sorry you had such rough seas!

We will sail away on April 14th!

Barb...your good news was the very best way to start Easter! Thrilled to hear from you and know that things are going well. So happy that you were able to attend DGD's wedding. Those are the events we live for. Keep up the good work and we DO need to get the troops together soon.;)

Stella --so sorry that you were sick on your vacation. That is always a bummer. :(

Did the ship rock while you were sailing in the Caribbean? We were on a cruise at the same time. [Celebrity Reflection left from FLL] We found that there were small craft warnings in all of the islands. However, the ship did not do any rocking.

They cancelled all of the excursions that were by boat. We went to the beach in Barbados and the whole bay had lines of boats at anchor.

On St Lucia the storm had pushed sand into the roads and was so high there was no beach at Pigeon island. We had to go to another beach. We just laid a towel on the sand because there was only room for 1 line of umbrellas and that area was all taken. They had used front end loaders to move sand out of the parking lot.

We were told it was as a result of the terrible wind/snow storm in the NE. The waves were high that far away. [also the full moon--called it King tide] The storm formed off the coast of VA/NC.

We are glad everyone on the Grandeur made it through safely.

Thank you for your concern. Yes the Seas were somewhat rocky in the Caribbean. We had a port change in that we went to Port Canaveral instead of St.Lucia not sure why. It might have been to repair an engine since we were down one engine.We also had some excursions cancelled.

Stella- so sorry that you got so sick on your cruise. Gail had said you got sick but I didn't realize it happened so early on in the cruise.

You know I can sympathize with you! It was last April that Kelly and I both got the flu on our cruise. I got sick the next to the last day and Kelly got sick the day we got back. In hind sight I should have gone to see the ship doc. I did have insurance. But I waited and was so ill we had to stop at a doc in the box place on the way home. Almost got sent to the hospital! It took a few weeks for me to get over it. I won't give up cruising either! I will be even more careful of germs next time.

And sorry you had such rough seas!

We will sail away on April 14th!

Thank you for your concern.I do remember that you and Kelly were sick and I think Carmen was too. It really does take a long time to get better. We did sanitize the room when we got in there but you can get sick from other people or other parts of the ship so I guess it's the luck of the draw. I hope this time around you have smooth sailing and calm seas and no sickness to deal with.

Hi everyone , Just wanted to let you know I m doing ok I had surg. on feb 8 was in ICU for 10 days which was 4 days less than anticipated. My surgeon are very pleased with my progress & I can now eat real food ! I have an appointment with Chemo Dr Monday, hoping to find out when next chemo treatments begin. then it is back to the surgeon on the 11th hoping he will remove the feeding tube. Feeling pretty good, hair is starting to grow back but will probably loose it again when chemo starts .

I was able to attend my grandaughter's wedding in Pa. What a wonderful 4 dys & the weddong was Beautiful

Please keep me updated if you all decide to gather for lunch ... Saturday's are usually best for us since Skip works most Sundays

but during the week will also work. Sorry to hear that you had Rocky seas it was quite a storm we lost some flashing on our home & still waiting for the repairs to get done, contractor has been very busy ! Miss all of you and hoping &looking forward to sailing with all of you soon . Just have to wait and see the result of the chemo which will probably be June or July .. I go back for CT scans in June

Miss all of You I do not come on cruise critic too often so if you all decide to do lunch someone email me

Barb

So glad to hear that you are doing so well. I wish for you a speedy process with your treatments and that you will not experience much sickness with the chemo.

We saw Skip as we were walking through to get on the ship. What a nice surprise that was to see him standing there ushering us on to the ship.

Haven't checked in here for a while...

Stella, very happy to hear you are better. We know how ill you were.

Any word on how Deb and Gail are faring? It seems that they caught this bug too.

Barb, definitely glad to hear good news from you! We were thinking of getting a lunch together; maybe after the April cruise some folks scheduled. We hope to see you and Skip on a cruise again soon.

I have to say again that it was really great to cruise with friends again; Stella, Gail, Deb & Chuck, and our teammates in trivia, Tommy & Sandra.

Best to all.

OK...how about reviving the Bead Brigade Pot Luck Brunch? Think about a weekend date sometime in June and let me know. It's been waaaaaaaaaay too long.

OK...how about reviving the Bead Brigade Pot Luck Brunch? Think about a weekend date sometime in June and let me know. It's been waaaaaaaaaay too long.

That sounds great, as there can be lots more "schmoozing". :D

I know some of our beadies are currently cruising. I wondered if they are getting free internet days or just a discount on a package. There is a long thread on this topic on the RCL message board.

Delta--I think you are onboard. :)

Have a great cruise to all of you on the seas. :D

I know some of our beadies are currently cruising. I wondered if they are getting free internet days or just a discount on a package. There is a long thread on this topic on the RCL message board.

:D

When we cruised last month we got 2 free days of internet each, but they had to be consecutive days. Not a bad deal.

Hope to see all of you soon Skip works most Sundays so during the week or a Saturday works for us

We're back! Had a great time on our cruise. Great weather too. Very warm sail away day and very warm every day. The last sea day was rough. Big swells so lots of rolling from side to side. But it calmed down,.

We got the internet package and got credit for the 2 free days.

Food was good but repetitive in the dining room. Lots of beef in different forms. We ate many dinners in the windjammer and enjoyed it

Our captain was there temporily. He is semi retired. From Norway and really hard to understand. The noon announcements were made but we could only make out a few words.

We had a new CD who was really good. His name was Mike something. Hard to pronounce and spell.

We booked a back to back in April 2020 for my daughter's retirement cruise. 20 days!

We're back! Had a great time on our cruise. Great weather too. Very warm sail away day and very warm every day. The last sea day was rough. Big swells so lots of rolling from side to side. But it calmed down,.

We got the internet package and got credit for the 2 free days.

Food was good but repetitive in the dining room. Lots of beef in different forms. We ate many dinners in the windjammer and enjoyed it

Our captain was there temporily. He is semi retired. From Norway and really hard to understand. The noon announcements were made but we could only make out a few words.

We had a new CD who was really good. His name was Mike something. Hard to pronounce and spell.

We booked a back to back in April 2020 for my daughter's retirement cruise. 20 days!

Welcome back!! We have all of you.:D

Congrats to Kelly on her upcoming retirement!

Ditto on the b2b cruise!

How are plans for a beadie lunch coming?

We got our garden in on Monday... well, our barrel in the front and our three pots on the back deck. Our son put in his on the sunny side of the house. In the barrel this year we have a bell pepper, a sweet pepper, a jalapeno, and, for a change, mint. I know the mint will take over, but I'm looking forward to the need to make mojitos to keep it in check!

20180509_151804.jpg

Hi everyone , just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Been a busy week for us.

Skip working at the port today & tomorrow we are driving up to Pa to visit my granddaughter .

Going to celebrate Mothers day on Saturday .. grillling out ! :) Skip works again on Sunday so we will head back home late Saturday afternoon. Skip & I booked a cruise on Carnival Pride 7 day to Grand Turk , Half Moon Cay & Freeport ... we moved our date to Oct 7, 2018 We are looking orward to relaxing & enjoying the beautiful blue waters & fresh air ... What a wonderful way to heal & forget your worries .. Hope everyone is doing well ! 2 more chemotherapy treatments Yea ! Maybe I will have a little hair grown back bebore we cruise :) LOve to all

Barb, so great to hear how well you're doing! Wish we could cruise with you in Oct but we have a myrtle beach trip that month. Hope you can join us in April 2019 for a grandeur cruise! It would be great to see you.

Kelly is counting down the days to her 2020 retirement. She'll be a young retiree since she started her job so young. I'm sure she will work part time so she can fund her cruise addiction!

Congrats to Kelly on her upcoming retirement. Best thing we did in a long time.

We did see Skip when we were boarding for our March cruise. Hope to cruise with you both again!

Any word on a date for a beadies lunch?

Wow very quiet here on the home front!! Several weeks without any posts. Hope all is well with everyone.

We've been fine. Did a 3 night trip up to Dover a couple of weeks ago. Didn't win any money but did bring home some of the money I took to play with so that was good. Leaving Sunday to spend a few nights at Carmen's house at Nags Head. Looking forward to that ocean view.

Kelly is counting down the days to her March 2020 retirement date.

Wow very quiet here on the home front!! Several weeks without any posts. Hope all is well with everyone.

We've been fine. Did a 3 night trip up to Dover a couple of weeks ago. Didn't win any money but did bring home some of the money I took to play with so that was good. Leaving Sunday to spend a few nights at Carmen's house at Nags Head. Looking forward to that ocean view.

Kelly is counting down the days to her March 2020 retirement date.

Just so you know Dixie......I'm planning on retiring in 2020 also. I just haven't figured what month to do it yet and I'll be making an appointment with my retirement planner soon to hash over the details, it can't come soon enough!