Activity Staff Reduction (3 Threads Merged)

jeffbook

We hope you are right, Andy, about the possibility of new entertainment avenues on Celebrity. Although the onboard activities now offered got totally old for us a while ago, we do understand that a lot of people really enjoy them, and thus would be a real loss if not substituted with something of value.

Hi ECCCruise,

I hope I'm right too LOL. IF Celebrity opts not to add new entertainment items, then I'm fairly certain this will not sit well with Celebrity's guests. Let's see how it all develops. Perhaps there's more to come.

Edited by Host Andy

First, the cruise critic posters are such a small percentage of the overall customers, that Celebrity would not get a true picture of what the majority of their customers want. That is what their surveys are for, to get the overall opinion of all their customers. Secondly, many cruise critic posters don't want change and want to see Celebrity stay in the past, so if Celebrity used them as a focus group, Celebrity would never see the real pictures

I don't buy some of this. Have you taken a survey following your latest cruise? What were the questions about? Ours surely didn't cover much about activities, although we surely wrote our feelings about what was happening on the ship. We have two young couples who are going on a fall TA, primarily because of what they read n all the dailies I brought home. They loved the variety, trivia, zumba, galley tour, ship staff vs passengers etc etc etc. They surely aren't long time cruisers, as none have been on a cruise before. Just saying that they, like us in a couple weeks, might be mighty disappointed. Regarding people not wanting to change things? Whqat a blanket statement, and basically untrue. I like change (for the better), but I surely am not thrilled about cuts such as wait staff, aqua spa, food competitions, and the list goes on. Give me one reason why anyone would ever sconsider dropping apacked venue of trivia or even more absurd the Captain's toast? Not a seat in the place. Justifying reasons without sound foundation just looks foolish. Been the Bailey way since he took over.

Hi Everyone,

I'm disappointed that Celebrity is eliminating the activites staff - mostly due to the fact that they are an absolutely wonderful group of folks, and get little credit for their accomplishments over the years. They deserved better. IMO, the activity teams are one of the reasons that Celebrity excelled in their onboard experience - and now, that's disappearing as well.

As for whether this is a cutback ? I think the jury is still out on this. There have been a number of articles in the cruise trades, that Celebrity is transitioning their entertainment to new concepts. It's entirely possible this is part of the equation. Whether their new offerings will prove to be better or worse, Or, if the savings are going to Celebrity's bottom line, are the real questions. For now, I'm giving Celebrity the benefit of the doubt, but I'm sure we will all be watching carefully.

We will be watching carefully, as well. Celebrity surely doesn't spend a bucket on entertainment. The alleged "band" and two female duos on our cruise a couple months ago were just plain horrible. Those running events were often late and put little effort into delivering any kind of fun activity - seemed like a majpr chore to them. NOT talking about activities staff who always are 100% in their jobs as well as all the others they assign them. To me cutting staff to bare bone has become the norm lately & I see no way that these changes and more staff cuts are a plus.

As for whether this is a cutback ? I think the jury is still out on this. There have been a number of articles in the cruise trades, that Celebrity is transitioning their entertainment to new concepts. It's entirely possible this is part of the equation. Whether their new offerings will prove to be better or worse, Or, if the savings are going to Celebrity's bottom line, are the real questions. For now, I'm giving Celebrity the benefit of the doubt, but I'm sure we will all be watching carefully.

Hi Andy, yes we should probably all wait and see what actually happens and how it will turn out. Hoping for the best, but my old boss use to say "a pessimist is never disappointed. "

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I don't buy some of this. Have you taken a survey following your latest cruise? What were the questions about? Ours surely didn't cover much about activities,although we surely wrote our feelings about what was happening on the ship. We have two young couples who are going on a fall TA, primarily because of what they read n all the dailies I brought home. They loved the variety, trivia, zumba, galley tour, ship staff vs passengers etc etc etc. They surely aren't long time cruisers, as none have been on a cruise before. Just saying that they, like us in a couple weeks, might be mighty disappointed. Regarding people not wanting to change things? Whqat a blanket statement, and basically untrue. I like change (for the better), but I surely am not thrilled about cuts such as wait staff, aqua spa, food competitions, and the list goes on. Give me one reason why anyone would ever sconsider dropping apacked venue of trivia or even more absurd the Captain's toast? Not a seat in the place. Justifying reasons without sound foundation just looks foolish. Been the Bailey way since he took over.

I don't think you are the only passenger who writes in their feelings and that is what surveys are for.

Changes that you don't like, others might think are for the better and visa versa , because we all have different opinions, expectations, likes and dislikes.

Are they not doing zumba anymore? Are they not doing trivia any more or the galley tour? I'm not saying some might be disappointed, but we don't know what is not going to happen and what is....people are just speculating on this. Why worry about something that you don't know if it will happen or not happen. If people are so worried that their favorite activity MIGHT not happen and it is a deal breaker for them, they should cancel their cruise so they won't be disappointed. Otherwise wait until they are onboard and then complain if they are not doing trivia or zumba or the galley tour, but for people to get so upset when they have no idea what is going on, seems like a waste to me.

Edited by NLH Arizona

We are a family of four and "Modern Luxury" to us is Celebrity. We could never have a vacation for what Celebrity offers to us any other way. Airplane tickets alone to the Caribbean add another $1600 to our cost. Any All-inclusive resort is around the same price of our next cruise. $2600 for 5 nights includes everything. Plus the upgraded drink package for a family verandah cabin. That is $130 pp for great food, lodging and entertainment. I don't see any better option to get to the Caribbean and I'm surely not going on another line (I've learned my lesson.) BTW, it could have been really cheap going the inside cabin route, which we've always done before with no problem. (Special occasion this time.)

They should keep the activities by the pool and anything else with high traffic and than try some new things for variety.

Can't wait to board!

Agreed, Celebrity is in a state of change. I think the canyon ranch move will probably be a plus. The aqua spa cafe changes are a definite minus in my book. Turning up the music was a real minus but i think we're over that...as well as the apparently/hopefully very short lived two bottles of water a cruise for aqua guests. Some liquor prices have been raised by .50-$1 to get them out of the classic package which is a terrible move especially when not announced....great you have a classic package but now you can't get the drink you wanted and had on the last cruise with the same package....huh??

So I'm just not optimistic about this latest cut in the activity staff....some folks really liked those activities and unless waiters are now going to run trivial pursuit, etc. it's not a good move...especially on cruises with many days at sea.

Finally, music is transitioning...the string trios are gone, the a cappela singers are gone. Perhaps I've missed their replacements....or is the new concept...the goal to have less live music based on the perception that the younger folks like recorded music and DJ's?

Hopefully, I'll be pleasantly surprised on my next cruise....or at least I won't be disappointed.

I feel very sorry for your daughter and all the other hard working staff that are affected by the cuts.I hope that they are given an opportunity to become part of the staff for the new RCCL ships. I'm noticing that some who were long time Celebrity employees are now on RCCL ships. Dru Pavlov has recently made the switch. I've been noticing RCCL ships,especially Oasis, being mentioned on Celebrity ships. At one time that would never had happened. The parent (RCCL) might be pulling the child (Celebrity) closer in terms of control. Only speculation.What is not speculation is the indusry wide cost cutting and attempts to attract higher spending cruisers.

Is dru a cd or land based

.he was our fav cd

glad we cancelled our nov cruise...now we have over a yr to watch how things develop on X

I will also take the wait and see route. However, I would add that our Feb 8th trip this year on silhouette I found the events themselves interesting enough I thought much of the staff was disinterested. Especially in things like trivia and the arts/craft section.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I will also take the wait and see route. However, I would add that our Feb 8th trip this year on silhouette I found the events themselves interesting enough I thought much of the staff was disinterested. Especially in things like trivia and the arts/craft section.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

Maybe the disinterest was due to knowing that their jobs were being eliminated...

We are sailing the Millennium in 10 days on a voyage with 5 sea days. It will be interesting to see how Celebrity will fill those days. Our roll call has had a post from the Guest Lecturers who've been aboard the ship since November. In addition to informative presentations, they'll be doing an 'improv" comedy workshop. I'm interested in what they'll be offering, but JIC I'll be packing some knitting and downloading beaucoup books to my Nook.

Edited by TMLAalum

Is dru a cd or land based

.he was our fav cd

glad we cancelled our nov cruise...now we have over a yr to watch how things develop on X

Dru will be on a ship, but don't know which one. The CD on Connie spoke to him.

I guess we might all learn different ways of entertaining ourselves:

1. napping

2. sunning

3. reading

4. technology

5. working out

6. talking to new friends

7. riding the elevator

8. walking the halls

9. counting the waves

10. enjoying a drink

11. counting things that are right with CCL

12. eating:eek:

13. taking the steps

14. ?????

I guess we might all learn different ways of entertaining ourselves:

1. napping

2. sunning

3. reading

4. technology

5. working out

6. talking to new friends

7. riding the elevator

8. walking the halls

9. counting the waves

10. enjoying a drink

11. counting things that are right with CCL

12. eating:eek:

13. taking the steps

14. ?????

I am not being sarcastic , but except for 9 and 11 I don't need to pay for a cruise.

I am not being sarcastic , but except for 9 and 11 I don't need to pay for a cruise.

I love it, but it certainly is more fun on a cruise! :) However, it would save a lot of $$$! Hey...the new modern luxury "cruise without a cruise."

Edited by Lastdance

One of my favourite Trivia leaders ever was the very talented Chico Pineda, who had been "downsized" from one of the party bands into a position as Activities Leader. He lead most of the Trivia on one of my Century cruises, as well as leading (and performing at) most of the Karaoke sessions, and entertaining at the mike in the Cova Café. Now that is an Activities leader with a multiplicity of skills, and Celebrity is getting rid of someone like him, in favour of a dedicated Zumba instructor? How many Zumba classes can you fill in one day?

Chico? WOOF WOOF WOOF!

He was on our b2b last summer and we had a blast with him! He led the Mars versus Venus trivia that we had so much fun with! I'm so disappointed by this decision. "Celebrity Classics" (for those who were around during the no t word era) is ALWAYS one of the highlights of our cruise.

Wow. Just wow.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Like many other posters we will take a wait and see approach until our next cruise out of Venice in 5 weeks. And let the chips fall where they may. Our decision to continue with Celebrity is rather simple. Is the cost worth the returned enjoyment. It's too personal to weigh all these cutbacks versus what Celebrity adds.

It is troubling to see the backup team being decimated. I recall they help out in many crowd control aspects such as with deboarding at port stops. Who will perform these duties? Deckhands who barely speak English?

But again the quality of the overall experience, will be the gauge. And we are not alone.

Maybe the disinterest was due to knowing that their jobs were being eliminated...

We are sailing the Millennium in 10 days on a voyage with 5 sea days. It will be interesting to see how Celebrity will fill those days. Our roll call has had a post from the Guest Lecturers who've been aboard the ship since November. In addition to informative presentations, they'll be doing an 'improv" comedy workshop. I'm interested in what they'll be offering, but JIC I'll be packing some knitting and downloading beaucoup books to my Nook.

Sorry can't help you! Just got off a month on the Millie and didn't go to one scheduled activity lol OOps that's a lie. Went to the free Apple workshops and the Port Lectures which were fantastic and very informative. I am so glad there were none of the old "Port Shopping" talks

But what was a hit and that I had never seen before was that one of the Canadian crew brought a hockey goal net and goalie gear and on sea days out at the pool guys (and gals) were lined up for turns to take a shot on goal with a tennis ball. It was a hoot:D A lot of guys seemed to think a golf swing would suffice lol. The next day a bunch of the hockey fanatics went up to the basketball court and played a wild game of 3 on 3. A couple in our group that played were walking a little stiff going to dinner lol

Other than this we totally entertained ourselves for the 28 days

Where is Battle of the Sexes ,Trivia , Dance classes & other activities going ? These are all performed by the activities staff

IS THIS MODERN LUXURY !! . If so they can stuff it :eek:

Like others I am entitled to my opinion & don't flame me for my opinion

It seems Modern Luxury under Michael Bayley means cut the Grand Brunch, cut the activities, and crank up the volume of the DJs! :rolleyes:

ROTFLMAO Why heck Michael Bayley was a VP of operations with RCCL before they boosted him up the ladder to CEO of Celebrity . He certainly is not a marketing wiz kid :rolleyes:

It seems Modern Luxury under Michael Bayley means cut the Grand Brunch, cut the activities, and crank up the volume of the DJs! :rolleyes:

I'd be laughing if this did not cut too close to the truth.

Which activities have been cut?

None, yet. If you truly think, however, that the new model of one AD and one staff member can support the current level of activities, it strains credulity. I don't think that bingo will be taking the staffing hit, which means non-revenue activities are the ones to be cut.

None, yet. If you truly think, however, that the new model of one AD and one staff member can support the current level of activities, it strains credulity. I don't think that bingo will be taking the staffing hit, which means non-revenue activities are the ones to be cut.

Thank you for making the point. Not one activity has been cut yet and no one knows what will, if any, be cut. For some to come on here and say that this will be cut or that might be cut, doesn't do anything but start rumors. For all they know their favorite "must have or their cruise will be ruined" activity will still be there when they go on their next cruise.