2 rapes per ship per month on royal caribbean

Ok, so I just found this statistic and makes me wonder the credibility of any source.....

A major cruise lines combined fleet has approximately 2 reports of sexual assaults or rapes per hundred thousand passengers. Statistically it should be kept in mind that these passengers are not on the vessel but for a short period of time, which makes comparison of these statistics to shore side sexual assaults and rapes difficult.

A major cruise lines had reports of 99 sexual assaults or rapes in a five year period.

Another major cruise lines had reports of sexual assaults or rapes in the amount of 173 in a five year period. None of the 173 sexual assault or rape reports resulted in a single prosecution

I would be shocked if there were 2 rapes per month on RCI and it wasn't big news. Rape is the worst degree of sexual assault. Sexual assault can mean inappropriate touching ( such as a** grabbing), an unwanted brush of a hand....verbal sexual assault and on and on. Two incidents of sexual assault per month...maybe; 2 rapes per month - I don't think so. The female crew members would probably be the group at most risk of sexual assault. Just my take on the subject.

We're platinum loyal customers, but after that report we will never sail with them again. ........

We have been loyal passengers logging at least two cruises a year for the past 18 years with them. We're too afraid to sail with them again.

A little OT but with at least 36 cruises with them you should be at least diamond plus and not just platinum loyal customers.

I think the rest of the topic regarding statistics and how safe a ship vs. any place on land is has already been covered by others as well as the reliability of news.

I had just to ad a thought when I reread the quote above.

I agree that the OP is afraid to cruise again with RCCL. With at least 36 cruises with them and such a bad statistic about "rape" and nothing happened during all the cruises to them the statistically chance to be harmed is growing with every cruise nothing happens.

bbrabozo - In 36 cruises you have not have not had a crime against you on a cruise ship what makes you think #37 will be any different? Or be any safer on a different cruise line? USA Today had a story on the honeymooner and at the bottom it listed 3 other instances of people overboard 2 on Carnival and 1 on I think QM2.

I would be shocked if there were 2 rapes per month on RCI and it wasn't big news.

Let's clear something up for everyone:

1. O'Reilly mentioned Sexual Assault, not rape. The OP was incorrect to use to the term rape. I believe COPNLPN2 did a great job of explaining this.

2. I believe O'Reilly stated the number, or average of 2 SEXUAL ASSAULTS PER MONTH, was not limited to only RCI, but to the entire cruising industry as a whole. Maybe someone can verify this?

JC, thanks for the boost :) I find it interesting people are quick to discredit Fox, when (P)MSNBC is just about out of business and CNN is having to "reinvent" themselves, or in other terms find a new way to deliver their agenda. Simply compare the ratings and it's a no brainer.

One poster refered to the "dress" of the young women as possible reasons for assault - and was prompltly flamed. One one of our first cruises we were told to point our cameras at the Rum Runner as it returned from a day of Drinking and Debauchery as the "blackmail pictures" might be worth the price of a cruise. I am sure it was said tongue in cheek - but It is a good thing I was shooting digital because no photoprocessor would have processed that much bare flesh. Topless and bottomless some of the young ladies were waving their Bikinis to the passengers on deck. And drunk as a skunk - Half of them were carried back to the ship. Alcohol and Sun definitely lowers inhibitions.

Another poster correctly stated that this is meerly sensational journalism by talkshow hosts who probably have never been on a cruise.

Since there is no need to flash cash on board nor a need for bling bling either - other than to attract someone of the opposite sex - it seems logical ( Spock talking here) that the cruiseline no matter what they do can't prevent someone ffrom making ann ass of themselves.

I have a couple of friends who are young and single and I know for a fact that when they go on a cruise ( usually a "FUN SHIP") they go for one reason and one reason only ( well two reasons ) Get Trashed and meet guys.

JUST MY OPINION

Let's clear something up for everyone:

1. O'Reilly mentioned Sexual Assault, not rape. The OP was incorrect to use to the term rape. I believe COPNLPN2 did a great job of explaining this.

2. I believe O'Reilly stated the number, or average of 2 SEXUAL ASSAULTS PER MONTH, was not limited to only RCI, but to the entire cruising industry as a whole. Maybe someone can verify this?

Just for clarification: The OP attributed the "2 rapes per ship per month to RCI." We were disputing his "facts." Can someone original source for this statistic?

I learned long ago regardless of the media outlet to take things with a grain of salt. People should know by now that news agencies are in it for ratings pure and simple. I'm not trying to make light of what has been reported but we heard one side of the story. The crimes were "alleged" and we do not know what actually happened and the outcome.

After reading the first post I felt as though Chicken Little was running around yelling that the sky was falling.:rolleyes:

The RCCL revelations are nothing new. A few years ago it was documented that on another line, in this case Carnival, 108 sexual assaults (22 involving rape), including those committed against the crew occurred within a five year period. I think O'Reilly’s rationale for highlighting the crimes committed on RCCL ships is because the recent Holloway case is serving as a reminder that we are not invincible to crime. I don’t think he intends to scare us or want us to boycott RCCL but merely make us more informed of the reality of cruising.

I did a simple lexus nexus search and found a myriad of articles on this topic. It’s appears that its commonplace. We have criminals in our neighborhoods, what makes the ships we vacation on any different?

Just finished watching a news program on fox news reporting that Royal Caribbean ships have 2 unprosecuted rapes per ship per month..

Sorry to say I missed actually seeing this report, but I do have one question---If the rapes are unreported, what was their source for the information? Could it have been an off the cuff remark they heard from someone who may or may not have any actual knowledge?

just asking

-Monte

I learned long ago regardless of the media outlet to take things with a grain of salt. People should know by now that news agencies are in it for ratings pure and simple. I'm not trying to make light of what has been reported but we heard one side of the story. The crimes were "alleged" and we do not know what actually happened and the outcome.

After reading the first post I felt as though Chicken Little was running around yelling that the sky was falling.:rolleyes:

Exactly,step away from the T.V. and get on that ship.:)

OP was frightened by a report she heard. Hopefully some of the responses have helped overcome her sense of fear from a news report.

Someone else posted a link to a trial lawyer's website which inlcuded a LOCAL Fox station's 6 minute feature that basically pimped the lawyer's civil suit against Princess Cruise Lines (not RCI). That lawyer just re-quoted statisitcs which haven't been attributed to any reliable source...and they probably won't be allowed as evidence in his suit...but what better way to "seed" the jury pool than having your face on the evening news demonstrating your righteous indignation against your evil defendants...

Anyway, be careful on the ship; be careful on the shore; if ship happens, it ain't necessarily the cruise lines' fault.

Lightsluvr

"Frightened" or not, OP's thread title (i.e., the use of the word "rape") was inflammatory and erroneous. Get your facts (and terminology) straight before posting something like that, please.

I agree... well said... and in addition to incorrect terminology, the alleged part seemed to fall off as well... news stations aren't the only ones that sensationalize.

Which ship did this guy disappear from? I haven't seen all of the news coverage but from their picture it doesn't look like she's big enough to throw a big, beefy guy off the balcony...

HopieAnn

Navigator of the Seas 04/05

I appreciate the post. I also agree that there were incorrect terms used. After watching the news video I read some of the cases and statistics in which cruise lines had "incidents", what stuck out to me was the fact that they were using statistics from 6 and 7 years ago. What are the stats like now? Has there been a decrease or a rise?

Good points were made, just be alert, watch your children (active rather than passive parenting), don't go out of your way to be stupid, (putting yourself in potentially dangerous situations) practice safety habits and being aware of your surroundings and you will have a better chance of staying safe than if you walk around with rose colored glasses on.

All that said, I am not going to cancel my cruise, but I will be aware.

Intelligent and informed people watch Fox Cable News, not the local Fox Rag, which like most local channels report very little, except crime stories.

A cruise ship is no different from anywhere else. ( Have you not noticed the increase in sexual crimes all over the Country.) Its a small part of Society and with 3000-4000 people aboard its amazing that there are not more problems.

I agree with Caltexan. Take care, and Get Out There!

Won`t believe any of it til it`s in the Enquirer front page. 36_2_46v.gif

I do hope you are kidding.... the inquirer is the biggest garbage bogus paper there is.. would not believe a thing in the inquirer, after all.. they print things like "three headed alien born to US Couple.." and crap like that... if even any of it were true then that would be all over the media.. not just a junk paper...

Just adding my 2 cents. I am sure you were kidding..... :cool:

What I'm curious about is the twist on the numbers. If you watch the clip closely, you'll notice that when they mention the amount of incidences for RCCL the stats flashing across the screen include Galaxy and Zenith, so it appears to me that the figure is a total for all RCCL owned and/or operated ships under their corporate umbrella during that particular period and ditto on the Carnival numbers, which total would also include all their other lines and vessels.

I'm no statistician and have no interest in multiplying the amount of passengers by the amount of times sailed by the amount of ships sailing under one corporation, but it would seem to me that at a glance those numbers are fairly low considering the amount of potential opportunity.

I think the points previously made about being careful and diligent no matter where you are are valid, especially given the fact that you are ultimately subject to a foreign authority/jurisdiction in a situation where the "crime scene" is extremely vunerable to contamination and where there are no immediate "police" or "law enforcement" present.

I saw the report also,,and it didn't specifically say RAPES..it stated two crimes of sexual assault,on every ship, every month..(Not sure if they mean't every cruiseline or just RCI).,sexual assault isn't ONLY rape..it can be someone pinching ones' butt,,...i feel very safe on the ship...but then again I don't get smashed..,,and i use the same precaution as I do at home,,even with that,,a crime could occur,..

One thing before my main point: This is a board about cruising, not about politics. Regardless of anyone's idea of TV, radio or print media biases, this is not the place to discuss your biases. And the post about not believing anything until it was in the Enquirer was in all probability made in jest or sarcastically.

Anyway, we just got back from 17 days in Norway last month. According to some web sites the following was "true":

1. Muslem men were everywhere and molesting any woman not wearing the "correct" clothes.

2. Drugs were everywhere and crime was rampant in the streets.

We did not see either of those things. Everyone we met was friendly and very helpful. If we had believed the "storys" we would have missed one of the best trips we have ever taken.

It's too bad that a "story" like this would keep someone from cruising.

I would be willing to bet that the stat that most traffic accidents happen within a few miles of home don't keep them from driving to the grocery store.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Archived