2 rapes per ship per month on royal caribbean

Geez, I'm glad I live where we do. You see there is no crime in Maine. We leave our doors unlocked, our keys in the ignition when we go to the mall and we never have to worry about walking through any part of town after dark. Excuse me I was just watching Leave it to Beaver and got confused.

The bottom line is that we can live our lives in fear or live our lives. I take my precautions like being aware of my surroundings and locking my doors. However, if I have to live in fear, why live at all.

I agree about keeping the boards non-political. I also try to do the same while cruising as I see it as an escape. However, Mojo, though I found your post a bit much, I could not agree more. I am appalled at the poster who said the media was ruining our nation. Try living in a country where the government controls the news. Some believe it is happening here.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble about traveling but where else are you most vulnerable to harm? Whether it's a cruise ship in the middle of an ocean or at a Disney park in Orlando, you are vulnerable.

Three (no, four) children have died at Disney themeparks in the past three months. A three year old died on Destination Space at Epcot (no known cause; fear?). A 16 year old died on the Tower of Terror at MGM Studios (bleeding of the brain). Another 16 year old drowned doing repairs on a Disney lagoon. Finally, a 12 year old died at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park (no known cause; heat exhaustion?). None of these deaths were directly the result of any action or inaction on the part of Disney. They just happened. Bad things happen and they are made more terrible because people are happy and enjoying their vacations when WHAM! something terrible happens.

Don't leave your children and teenagers alone to roam the ship. Treat it as if it were a floating city (because it is). Just like every city, it is going to have its share of crime. Whether it is a crew member or passenger or even a horrible twiat of fate, it can happen and all you can do is be aware.

I hate to burst everyone's bubble about traveling but where else are you most vulnerable to harm? Whether it's a cruise ship in the middle of an ocean or at a Disney park in Orlando, you are vulnerable.

Three (no, four) children have died at Disney themeparks in the past three months. A three year old died on Destination Space at Epcot (no known cause; fear?). A 16 year old died on the Tower of Terror at MGM Studios (bleeding of the brain). Another 16 year old drowned doing repairs on a Disney lagoon. Finally, a 12 year old died at Disney's Typhoon Lagoon water park (no known cause; heat exhaustion?). None of these deaths were directly the result of any action or inaction on the part of Disney. They just happened. Bad things happen and they are made more terrible because people are happy and enjoying their vacations when WHAM! something terrible happens.

Don't leave your children and teenagers alone to roam the ship. Treat it as if it were a floating city (because it is). Just like every city, it is going to have its share of crime. Whether it is a crew member or passenger or even a horrible twiat of fate, it can happen and all you can do is be aware.

I agree with you, things just happen no matter where you are. Just this week a family from North Carolina was driving thru my area (northeast Pa) on there way home from Vacation and a bus crossed the median and hit them head on killing 2 of the 5 people. It was a horrible tragedy and made me think , it doesn't matter if your on vacation or not something terrible can happen even if your being careful. Oh and the reason the bus lost control was the driver was trying to plug in his car phone into the cigarette lighter.

The news is important, and the biases given as news by the talking heads and the headlines stories is not the news. Just because it is not run by the government doesn't mean it has our best interests at heart. :(

How many local newspapers do real reporting. Mostly they just regurgitate the drivel coming form the AP or the Times, etc. Thought rarely occurs in the paper beyond a shallow understanding. They are doing us a disservice, and unfortunately that is the fact.:(

jc

Actually, I think the NY Times, and CBS have exactly the same mentality as TASS.:D

i believe it. a couple of years ago was the last time i heard the statistic when carnival had approximately 75 rapes in one year. carnival is the only line i have seen that lets its crew in the passenger areas with buckets of beer. it was very disturbing to see carnival hand out the Beer buckets to a line of crew who were still dressed in their greasy overalls. off they ran to the disco.

i believe it. a couple of years ago was the last time i heard the statistic when carnival had approximately 75 rapes in one year. carnival is the only line i have seen that lets its crew in the passenger areas with buckets of beer. it was very disturbing to see carnival hand out the Beer buckets to a line of crew who were still dressed in their greasy overalls. off they ran to the disco.

doesnt bother me if crew gets to enjoy the public areas...they are very hard workers and need a break. But they need to be crew that has been thouroughy screened by the line including in their country of origin for criminal records etc....so they can at least reduce if they cant eliminate the criminal behaviour ridk.

Just Off This Boat And As A Mom Of Two Girls I Am Highly Upset With

What Went On On The July 29th Vos I Am Going To Be Giving A Full Report

On The Terrrible Experience But There Is No Security On Board Drinking And

Alot Of Girls That Are In The Wrong Place At The Wrong Time.

I Am Sorry To Be So Upset But Alot Happened On This Cruise It Was Horrible

I Will Talk Soon Thanks

I Will Talk Soon Thanks

what happenned?

I Will Talk Soon Thanks

Please give us more details.

Just finished watching a news program on fox news reporting that Royal Caribbean ships have 2 unprosecuted rapes per ship per month. I have heard negative reports about RCCL several times in other media outlets, didn't out about it until this report. It jst seems that there is too much negative press about this cruise line lately and I wanted to let others know. I have a teenage daughter who has sailed with us and would feel irresponsible if I didn't share what I have learned. That is a huge statistic. We're platinum loyal customers, but after that report we will never sail with them again. A case of a missing (presumed dead from the little evidence that they have and the lack of cooperation from RCCl) honeymooning husband was highlighted and they said that it must have taken more than one person to throw him over the railing of his balcony cabin. There was a huge blood stain on the canvas below the balcony (saw picture and looked as big as a body). They mentioned that time and time again these cases go unresolved because the cruise ships quickly sanitize the crime scene so that they protect themselves. They also said that RCCL has the most cases of missing persons and that these cases remain unresolved. I remember seeing a report on abc news about a nineteen year old girl who when her father last checked was sleeping on a chaise lounge on the balconeyof their cabin. When he awoke the next morning she was not on the balconeynd no where to be found on the ship. Rccl was uncooperative with the family and her dissappearance remains unsolved. I continued to sail with them because I thought maybe one or two cases a year happened. Not true. It's much higher. The report on Fox mentioned that you have a crew onboard, passengers and crew who drink, and enclosed environement and very little supervision, and it is a cauldrin (sp?) for the potential of violent crime. Couple that with RCCl's inherint interest to put it's own preservation above the safety and protection of it's customers and of course these kinds of things will happen. Fox news said there are cameras in the most public areas on the ship, but there are none in the hallways where the cabins are located. It seems that RCCl would have done that by now to protect the passengers, with a sign stating such to deter crime. But alas it seems they selfishly put profit above passenger safety. We have been loyal passengers logging at least two cruises a year for the past 18 years with them. We're too afraid to sail with them again.
Darn Fox news: We used to live for Bill O and the rest now I am just getting tired of the sensationalism. It's like the stories about how much dirt was found in cabin A or B. I hope I don't ever have to eat my words, but no matter where you are, big city, top resort, Vegas, any cruise ship, where ever things happen. Most of the time liquor or drugs are involved. It's back to the buddy system pretty much. Don't get so drunk you don't know what you are doing, stay with a friend, mate or whatever, don't invite anyone you do not know into your cabin and use common sense. A few years back it was Carnival that was getting raked over the coals by passengers saying they were raped or sexual assulted in some way by crew members. I think we are every bit as safe on a ship as anywhere else, maybe safer. Now, I shall go eat dinner and stop my preaching for the day. LOL

Consider:

*how much alcohol is available,

*how the cruise is really centered around drinking, and

*how they allow 18 year olds to legally drink on the ship (and probably younger are drinking as well)

Based on that, it doesn't really sound like a made-up off the wall statistic to me.

I do not know about drinking on RCI but I can guarantee you Celebrity does not allow under age drinking. Nothing will stop an adult from buying a drink for someone younger, it happens on land as well, but they do not sell to anyone under 21. NCL is very strict about this as well. I do beleive much of what we are hearing involves Alcohol or drugs or both. Look what happened in Aruba. The kids were all legal drinking age, they all did according to the girls who have been interviewed recently and one is still missing. This does not mean we should not vacation in Aruba, it means we need to continue to warn our teens and young adults about the dangers of drinking too much and not staying with friends. NMNita

Hello,

I agree with the posting that some parents seem to believe that ship is a safer environment than a hotel. I am always amazed to see young children wandering the hallways, stairwells and elevators alone. If bad behavior were the only concern it would be tolerable. What I can't understand is why these parents can't seem to comprehend that a sexual predator can book a cruise just as easily as a sweet old granny. My son is four. I keep him close when he isn't in the kid's club. I would no more hire a stranger to babysit him in my cabin alone than fly.

mrsraggy

Archived