Little Crown Princess Question

gr1634

Read here this morning that arriving early (11:30ish) is not necessarily a good idea since this Saturday will be her first trip of the year from Calif. So I guess we won't be in a hurry.

Does Crown Princess have guava juice (like Carnival) for breakfast? Wife likes it and I always bring her some after going up and having morning coffee. No big deal - just curious.

Looks like the age span on Princess may be a little higher than what we have experienced with Carnival and RCL (total of 26 cruises now). Was more curious about clothes. Wife seems to think we need to dress up a bit more. Not so much for dining room as I never wear jeans or shorts in dining room but--watching Utube of Princess cruises I still see shorts and jeans wandering around the ship??

It appears Galveston has instituted duty assessments for some items that have previously been duty free - cigarettes and booze..Is that for all ports or is it just a Texas thing - anyone know for sure?

Since we are going to be in San Fran until 11:00PM our intent is to walk down to Fisherman's Wharf after our excursion. Is that a good plan or is there transportation from the pier area to the wharf and is it worth the effort?

Any other recommends on things to do in San Fran? Taxi to Lombard St? Wife has never been to Calif so has never seen any of these things - she is really looking forward to this coastal cruise.

We are going to be in room B423 - anyone ever had that room or similar? Thoughts>

Thanks

Gr

Does Crown Princess have guava juice (like Carnival) for breakfast? Wife likes it and I always bring her some after going up and having morning coffee. No big deal - just curious.

Looks like the age span on Princess may be a little higher than what we have experienced with Carnival and RCL (total of 26 cruises now). Was more curious about clothes. Wife seems to think we need to dress up a bit more. Not so much for dining room as I never wear jeans or shorts in dining room but--watching Utube of Princess cruises I still see shorts and jeans wandering around the ship??

It appears Galveston has instituted duty assessments for some items that have previously been duty free - cigarettes and booze..Is that for all ports or is it just a Texas thing - anyone know for sure?

Since we are going to be in San Fran until 11:00PM our intent is to walk down to Fisherman's Wharf after our excursion. Is that a good plan or is there transportation from the pier area to the wharf and is it worth the effort?

Any other recommends on things to do in San Fran? Taxi to Lombard St? Wife has never been to Calif so has never seen any of these things - she is really looking forward to this coastal cruise.

Thanks

Gr

No they don't...I love that juice as well, wish they had it. The servers come around with coffee and orange juice - maybe apple juice I think.

Princess does seem to be more formal on formal nights...but it depends on itinerary and cruisers. They seem to enforce the dress code more though.

I believe TX only just from reading other threads...but not sure since I don't get these items.

You will be docked on the Wharf itself....near Alcatraz tours...just keep walking - the whole mile or so is Fisherman's Wharf. They do have bike carraiges that offer "transportation" as well as the F-line coach that takes you down to the center of the Wharf - all right there. SF is a great walkable city...Chinatown/North Beach all accessible by cable car or taxi. Lombard (the top) is on the Hyde cable car run at the end of the wharf - near Ghiradelli's. I would buy a day pass for cable car/bus/F-line since one cable car ride is $6 cash. A Day Pass is $14? I think. That way you can get all over the city.

John in NC

Read here this morning that arriving early (11:30ish) is not necessarily a good idea since this Saturday will be her first trip of the year from Calif. So I guess we won't be in a hurry.

Does Crown Princess have guava juice (like Carnival) for breakfast? Wife likes it and I always bring her some after going up and having morning coffee. No big deal - just curious. Have not seen it in the buffet, maybe in the DR.

Yes, older demographic, but on a 7 day CA Coastal it would probably be younger than say Hawaii.

Formal night:Men, Jacket & Tie can be sport jacket, suit or tux. Not very many will be in Tux. Women, nice dress, slacks, or outfit.

Other nights: Smart casual. No shorts & T's.

You can avoid formal dress by not dining in the DR on formal night. Crown Grill and Sabatini's are always smart casual, Other places, whatever you like.

Daytime dress is whatever you like, shorts, tees. Breakfast and Lunch in the DR are also casual, but no bathing suits, you must be covered. Princess wants you to wear shoes around the ship, except by the pools.

There are US Customs duty exemptions for alcohol (1 lt/pp) and tobacco products (I think 200 cigarettes or 100 cigars), as well as a dollor exemption for other merchandise. This is all described in information supplied by Princess. I believe what Texas is doing is collecting State Taxes on alcohol and tobacco, not Federal Duty. So there should not be an issue in CA.

I think the Crown is sailing this Saturday from San Pedro, L.A. not SF. Hope you are going to the correct port. If you arrive at San Pedro the day before or early in the AM you can tour the USS Iowa which is right next to the Princess Pier. You have to be able to walk and climb steep stairs to do this self tour, but it's nice to see.

We are going to be in room B423 - anyone ever had that room or similar? Thoughts>

Excellent Cabin and location. Balcony is 9'x5' and covered. Lots of storage. On boarding go directly to you cabin, not waiting around for the cabins are ready call.

Thanks

Gr

See above

"Since we are going to be in San Fran until 11:00PM our intent is to walk down to Fisherman's Wharf after our excursion. Is that a good plan or is there transportation from the pier area to the wharf and is it worth the effort?

I think the Crown is sailing this Saturday from San Pedro, L.A. not SF. Hope you are going to the correct port. If you arrive at San Pedro the day before or early in the AM you can tour the USS Iowa which is right next to the Princess Pier. You have to be able to walk and climb steep stairs to do this self tour, but it's nice to see."

They are going on a coastal cruise and their first stop is San Francisco. They are in San Francisco for quite awhile as they don't depart until 11pm.