Questions and Comments about Chankanaab Park

DonnaD

disneylynn,

We're planning to grab a taxi to Chankanaab in two weeks. Is it 2.50 per person that you paid? What does the ship quote the taxi rate at? How was the snorkeling?:confused: We are traveling with a 3 and 11 year old. The 11 year old will snorkel, and it looks like they have a great lagoon for little ones. Thanks for your help!:)

I am curious about this too as the taxi stand has prices posted...it was $10 per taxi when we went, whether you filled it up or not. We had 4 people, so it was $2.50 per person, if you want to look at it that way.

Anyway, snorkeling was great. The water was very clear and we saw tons of fish. There is a sandy beach for families with small children to hang out at. The actual "lagoon", which is behind the stretch of sand, has been closed for swimming for quite some time. Some people are getting this confused with the swimming beach. Do not worry, the beach for the little ones does exist.

disneylynn,

We're planning to grab a taxi to Chankanaab in two weeks. Is it 2.50 per person that you paid? What does the ship quote the taxi rate at? How was the snorkeling?:confused: We are traveling with a 3 and 11 year old. The 11 year old will snorkel, and it looks like they have a great lagoon for little ones. Thanks for your help!:)

You might be confusing the taxi fare with a different port, perhaps Costa Maya.

I think Chankanaab is a good place for your family to enjoy the day. The little lagoon is perfect for a 3 y/o and the snorkeling isn't too advanced for the 11 y/o. Admission is $12 for adults, $6 for kid though I not sure what ages that covers. Bring cash for admission, they don't do plastic. Plastic is accepted inside the park at the gift shops and restaurant. It is a good idea to have exact change for the taxi rides.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a description of what is there.

Completely rebuilt and restored in1996, this beachfront park, just 9 km south of San Miguel, offers diverse attractions in a lovely setting. The main beach is studded with palapas for sunbathers, while just off shore there's outstanding diving and snorkeling (equipment rental and dive shop available). Back from shore is a fascinating Archaeological Park, complete with winding jungle trails, replicas from sites throughout Mexico, a typical Mayan village, and free guided tours. There's also an excellent Botanical Garden with over 300 plant species from 22 countries. Topping things off is the site's beautiful lagoon - a sinkhole filled from the sea by underground tunnels. There are several shops, snack bars, a restaurant, and a Mayan Museum. Open Daily. Admission is $10 (US) and children are free.

And here's a review: (actually 29 reviews)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150809-d185578-r2826182-Parque_Chankanaab-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

Here's another good description of what's there:

http://www.xaac.com/riviera/chankp.htm

Finally someone's cruise pictures that include the park.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlassek/PhotoAlbum12.html

But I sure don't see a map in the first 3 or 4 pages of a goggle search.

Have a great next cruise.

Was just at Chankanaab on Friday April 1st. Admission is now $12 for ages 12 and up. There is a reduced admission for children 3 to 11. I believe it was $6. From the International cruise pier, it was a $6 per person taxi fare.

Park was very nice. Staff was friendly, helpful, and spoke English well. Beach had shaded areas. If you want a beach that has rentals of jet skis, etc, this is not it. Lots of people appeared to be enjoying the snorkeling, though. We had lunch in the "Lagoon" restaurant. Cold Dos Equis, very good Yucatan lemon soup, and Mexican entrees, and a roaming Mariachi band.

Park also offers other experiences including "Snuba", swimming with sea lions, and several different dolphin encounters. Advance reservations are required for the dolphin swims. Many cruise lines offer the basic dolphin encounter, which means you go into the water to approx. knee deep and get to pet and kiss the dolphins. There are also experiences available that permit you to swim with one or two dolphins in deeper water. My 11 year old daughter did the "snorkle with the dolphins" experience and was thrilled. I thought it was a little pricey for a 30 minute swim, but for my daughter, it was the highlight of her cruise.

Was the lagoon restaurant right on the beach? That was the only one I remembered but thought someone said there were two? Did the restaurant take credit cards? Also, did you see any lockers available for use? Do you know what time the park opens? We're on the Glory and will arrive at 7:00 a.m. ship's time which will be 6:00 a.m. local. Was hoping the park would be open by 8 local time?

Was the lagoon restaurant right on the beach? That was the only one I remembered but thought someone said there were two? Did the restaurant take credit cards? Also, did you see any lockers available for use? Do you know what time the park opens? We're on the Glory and will arrive at 7:00 a.m. ship's time which will be 6:00 a.m. local. Was hoping the park would be open by 8 local time?

The lagoon restaurant. La Laguna, is the one right on the beach and is the closer of the 2 restaurants to the entrance of the park. The second retaurant, El Bucenera, is further along, but also not far off the beach. La Laguna did take credit cards. Lockers are available free of charge for Dolphin Encounter participants. I also believe there was a second set of lockers located near the El Bucenara retaurant.

I do not know when the park opens. I checked the brochure I kept, and it doesn't list operating hours. They do list a website, though: www.cozumelparks.com.mx

Hopefully you'll be able to get more info from the site.

Enjoy you're trip!!!!

Was just at Chankanaab on Friday April 1st. Admission is now $12 for ages 12 and up. There is a reduced admission for children 3 to 11. I believe it was $6. From the International cruise pier, it was a $6 per person taxi fare.

QUOTE]

The taxis are per person now? Last time, the prices posted were per taxi, and we paid (for 4 of us) $10 or $12 to get there. I really don't want to spend $24 each way????????????:eek:

QUOTE]

The taxis are per person now? Last time, the prices posted were per taxi, and we paid (for 4 of us) $10 or $12 to get there. I really don't want to spend $24 each way????????????:eek:

We paid $12 for the 2 of us. Shouldn't have said $6 per person, I guess. Apologize for the sticker shock. Have fun!

When we were at Chanakaab two years ago, there were lockers in the area where you could purchase snacks, water, etc., and in the restroom building (near tiki huts) but thought a poster said they were gone. We did pay a small deposit for the locker...large enough to hold your things with no problem.

First timer to Cozumel....it it better to reserve Dolphin program at Chankanaab Park through shore excursion on ship or reserve on our own?

Would we get there faster on our own or is it true that shore excursion folks are let off the cruises first....it's been 10 years since our last cruise so I don't remember!

Thanks a million in advance!

Don't book via a cruise ship (more expensive). Book as soon as possible with Cozumel Insider (they only take eight at a time and they book fast). Take a cab to the park (only about ten minutes each way and the cab is only about ten or twelve dollars . . . per cab, not per person). I did the royal dolphin swim in September 2003 and it was the highlight of my cruise. This time, I'm going to try the sea lion swim.

Would we get there faster on our own or is it true that shore excursion folks are let off the cruises first....!
I don't think that that is the case in the ports where you are tied up to a dock as you are in Cozumel. It is usually just the ports where you have to take a tender ashore where the ship's excursion people are first off the ship.

You can also reserve the dolphin swim directly thru http://www.dolphindiscovery.com

We booked our royal swim thru shore trips (www.shoretrips.com) Price is cheaper than booking thru carnival ($170) versus $125 plus $12 to get into park, plus cost of cab each way. Easy to get to by yourself, but if I had to do it again, I would book an earlier time. We booked for Noon and they were behind, so it took more of our time than we expected.

No problem getting off the boat in Cozumel, its just in Grand Cayman where they tender you aboard that carnival excursion people get preferred arrangements!

Have a great cruise!!

Archived