How do you choose a stateroom?

sjde

We are looking at a balcony cabin on the Breakaway. We've been on other lines but never NCL.

How do you choose where you want to be--do you like being close to the dining room or some other place in particular?

Personal preference, mostly... also dependent on what category of cabin one is booking. We book aft suites now. So, pretty cut and dry where those are going to be.

Some prefer a mid-ship cabin (either balcony or inside) for easy access to the ship, or sometimes for less motion. Others consider what's above or below them in terms of potential noise (pool deck above could be noisy at any hour). Some like to go down low so they are close to disembarkation points. Some like the forward suites.

Some people honestly don't care. Its a totally subjective thing.

If you are looking at a regular balcony cabin, be sure to check out the ones on the bump out of the ship that have angled balconies. They are the same price but the balconies are larger. We booked one of those right by the aft stairs/elevators because we don't like walking down the skinny halls.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

When i choose my cabin(always a balcony) the first thing i look for is what is above or below my cabin. I don't want dining venues,theater or other nightclubs below and i don't want the pool deck above.I look for a cabin with both cabins above and below.As far as where on that particular deck,I like either midship or slightly forward of midship.

We are looking at a balcony cabin on the Breakaway. We've been on other lines but never NCL.

How do you choose where you want to be--do you like being close to the dining room or some other place in particular?

We started aft, because my wife was hoping for a smoother ride. We would also try to get close to the elevators, since my wife has some mobility issues, and I'm lazy, especially on vacation. We (like others) check what is above and below the room, as well. For some reason, we always end up on the port side, I'm not sure how that happened.

We had the upgrade fairy call on our Transatlantic last year on the Breakaway, and got a Haven suite all the way forward (we can see our bathroom window on every photo of the Breakaway.) So, if you give her a butler, my wife will move forward.

The ride hasn't seemed that different wherever we've been - although we've always been mid-ship to aft (except for the one suite.) We've never had noise issues, even if we've been next to the elevators, although the stairs can be a teenagers' gathering place for some reason. (It's also a place for kids to run up and down.) So, if you're allergic to teenagers, keep that in mind.

I think you will enjoy the Breakaway wherever you end up - she's a lovely ship.

We like mid-ship balconies & always in the middle of the ship. (ie: 14 decks we'll generally be on deck 7) I always seem to book port side. We booked guarantees twice & have been lucky enough to get port side, mid-ship, in the middle!

I tend the pick the cabins in more quiet locations ... like corners. The last thing I want is some kid running up and down the halls screaming (and believe me, it happens :rolleyes: )

I try to get a cabin mid ship and higher up. Unless I get an aft balcony of course. I've never been forward but wouldn't rule it out, my main concern is being higher up for less chance of sea sickness.

Actually, you have that backwards. Lower decks to avoid sea sickness.

Depends on your personal preferences.

We prefer mid-ship, lower deck. Because my husband uses a cane, we prefer close to elevator.

For us, it's all about balcony. DW and I love sitting on the balcony and watching the world go by. Can't afford the regular suites on our budget, so basic balcony and mini-suite only. Absolute favorite balcony we've had is the Caribe Deck on Ruby Princess. Would love to try an aft balcony, just haven't done it yet. Booked a large mini-suite balcony on GA for Sept. Looking forward to it.

We also tend to look for mid-ship, with cabins above and below. Could care less about elevator location as I ALWAYS use the stairs. Aside for boarding the first day and disembarking the second day, I go the whole cruise using stairs. I figure I need to work off all the food i'm eating :).

Well, we already know we want a balcony, at least for this cruise, this time of year (Sept to Bermuda), but there are so many location choices.

What do you get with a mini-suite? We didn't know if the cost would be justified.

I'm with you on the stairs!

Well, we already know we want a balcony, at least for this cruise, this time of year (Sept to Bermuda), but there are so many location choices.

What do you get with a mini-suite? We didn't know if the cost would be justified.

I'm with you on the stairs!

The Mini suite or more accurately deluxe balcony, gives you more space and in some cases it gives you a bathtub which is great for young kids.

It's not a suite so has no suite perks. :)

triptolemus beat me to it. ;)

Edited by B6ConMe

Personally, we get the most value out of inside cabins. We don't think it is worth it to spend a few hundred dollars just for a small window we would rarely look out, or one thousand dollars for a (small) balcony we would only sit on occasionally. Clearly, balconies are important for many here, just not us.

I prefer a mid-ship lower deck for the following reasons:

- good for motion

- easy access to the lower public spaces (I take the stairs for those areas, and an elevator to the upper public spaces)

- usually easy to find hallways that are not well traveleed

- close the the gangway when coming back from port

- provides good value, in my opinion

I try hard to find a cabin that will have as little noise as possible. On an upcoming cruise I have a deck 5 which is above a cabin and below a restaurant that is only open for dinner and away from elevators, etc.

I book the cheapest balcony category that puts me between 2 decks of cabins and as close to the middle category I can get. So I usually book a BD, usually the cabin right before the category change...

I like a balcony -- I like to be able to have my own private ocean to sit with.

My friend tends towards some motion sickness so I try to get us midship, but when it's just me I'm fine with the fore or aft.

I prefer to be near the elevator since when my joints are aching, it's tough to walk through narrow interior corridors. I prefer aft on ships where the dining rooms are mostly aft... but I'll go wherever I get the best deal on the cabin.

When I travel with friends we REALLY strongly prefer cabins with a connecting door. When it's just me I'll happily try a GTY if it gets me a better deal.