Tours in Iceland

Has anyone suggestions for tours in Iceland ? We are thinking of a cruise from Southampton to New York in Sept 2015 . They make three stops in Iceland . I know about the Blue Lagoon .

I will look at the Roll Call for any info as well.

Edited by Kamloops50

Has anyone suggestions for tours in Iceland ? We are thinking of a cruise from Southampton to New York in Sept 2015 . They make three stops in Iceland . I know about the Blue Lagoon .

I will look at the Roll Call for any info as well.

There are a couple existing threads here about Iceland. What ports are you in, how long are you in those ports, are you willing to rent a car, and are you looking for adventure, a spa, or something else?

We are on an NCL Star cruise stopping there in the fall.

I organized a Golden Circle tour with Iceland Horizon:

info@icelandhorizon.is

Iceland Horizon

THE GOLDEN CIRCLE

A tour of around 8 hours.

During the day we visit three main sights. The spectacular Gullfoss

Waterfall on the mighty glacial river Hvita, The boiling springs and

blowing water spouts of Strokkur and Geysir and Thingvellir National Park,

where we see the devide between the Eurasian and American continental plates

and also home to the ancient Viking parliaments. Each of these stops are

around 1 hour in duration.

We also make other short stops; Faxafos waterfall and possible other short

photo stops, depending on weather and conditions.

The actual driving distance of the day is around 270 kilometres and total

driving time is around 3 hours 30 minutes, but this is divided into shorter

journeys between the stops.

Lunch is not included but you will be able to buy something to eat at the

cafe/restaurant at Gullfoss.

Another tour company is http://www.extremeiceland.is/en/cruise-ship-tours/shore-excursions

There are a couple existing threads here about Iceland. What ports are you in, how long are you in those ports, are you willing to rent a car, and are you looking for adventure, a spa, or something else?

How is driving a rental in Iceland? I guess the roads are okay, what about distances between sites?

How is driving a rental in Iceland? I guess the roads are okay' date=' what about distances between sites?[/quote']

The main road (Route 1) is paved over about 95% of it's distance. The unpaved part is fine. Reykjavik is fully paved. Other than that, pretty much only the main roads from Big Place to Big Place are paved (like to Gulfoss, Geysir, Blue Lagoon and other large attractions), or from city to city. Some of the unpaved roads are just fine, some of them are terrible.

We've rented 4WD vehicles both times we've rented and both times we would have missed out on lots of things without them.

You're going to want to turn down this road off of 218, it starts off ok, then gets a little rough, and it's one of the better side roads. Most of them are rutted, potholed, and washboarded, and pretty much every one of them is worty driving down.

Distances between sites varies, there are websites with all sorts of data like that out there for you.

Edited by Nitemare

We found that a 4WD vehicle rental was very expensive. While in Iceland for 9 days we rented a regular sedan which was fine for the main roads around Iceland. With the money saved, we went on an all-day guided high-wheel vehicle tour into the interior of Iceland. Here there were NO roads, plenty of rocks and glacier run-offs to traverse. A fabulous experience. (BTW, since it was a holiday, there was also a big mitsubishi (sp?) club of Icelanders touring the interior and we heard 2 tire blowouts from their group. I was so relieved we weren't trying to do this on our own, even in a 4WD).

Oh yeah, 4WD is much more expensive (and uses more of that $9/gallon gas, too!), just like back home, but we found it to be worthwhile so we could drive down every miserable road to gorgeous waterfalls, or across nasty terrain to glaciers, or up precarious cliffs to the tops of mountains.

• 1 year later...