NCL cancelling Roatan (MERGED THREADS)

swedish weave

None of us were witnesses to this murder, but I get the feeling that some people are blaming the victim here.

How do we know that he was killed because he did not cooperate with the assailant?

If someone will kill you for a cell phone, they will kill you for anything, or for NOTHING.

I don't think anyone of us is blaming the victim...

We are all sicken by this horrible crime

Cathy

None of us were witnesses to this murder, but I get the feeling that some people are blaming the victim here.

How do we know that he was killed because he did not cooperate with the assailant?

If someone will kill you for a cell phone, they will kill you for anything, or for NOTHING.

According to the newspaper, it was caught on security camera and yes, he was apparently killed for not cooperating.

Can't say if he would still have been killed if he had handed over what they wanted or not.

Maybe Carnival should consider dropping Roatan off of it's ports of call list.

Why would they do that ? Roatan is a wonderful port with many wonderful people.Someone gets murdered and a cruise line should ban a country. We all would be on a cruise to nowhere

Why would they do that ? Roatan is a wonderful port with many wonderful people.Someone gets murdered and a cruise line should ban a country. We all would be on a cruise to nowhere

Actually, I don't think they would be cruising at all if that was the criteria for dropping a port. I am positive they would pull out of new orleans and I live here. No cruise passengers killed yet, but more than a few tourist in the french quarters have been.

I remember last years newspapers headline the day after the big mardi gras parade. It read "Only 7 shot during the parade". This year it was two at the concert after the parade.

We still go, but about 10 yr ago, we saw someone across the street get stabbed and his camera taken. We are more selective about where we watch nowadays, but we still go, but you can bet we don't take nice cameras with big camera bags.

I'm not seeing any travel warnings for Roatan, Honduras yes but not Roatan Walkers article is using the warning for Honduras. I'll have to look a little more to see what the crime rate is strictly for the island.

Never the less very sad new indeed and all for a phone.

As of now NCL still has Roatan as a port for next March when I looked.

Edited by Midwestgal

I am a pretty seasoned traveler for both leisure and business. Been to a lot of places that require you to be careful and aware (including the City of Milwaukee 30 miles away). Guess I let my guard down a bit about Roatan:confused:, so this is great reminder to everyone including myself to know destinations better before you go.

I remember taking a wrong turn on a business trip in Israel near the West Bank and ending up in the middle of a testy Palestinian demonstration once or my recent trip to Sao Paulo where a co-worker was robbed at gun point in front of our local office complex two days prior. As others have said, this unfortunate incident in Roaton could have, and does happen all over the world.

For me, I guess I always viewed Roatan as safer than other LATAM locations I frequent. For other destinations, especially when I travel on business, I receive safety updates that have to be acknowledged prior to travel. JMHO, or better stated maybe just a question to myself, but maybe the cruise lines should help a bit in making sure passengers are more aware of safety concerns at these ports of call (or would that be self-defeating to them)?

Lots of links off this article to other recent incidents on the Isla that hit home that I had heard nothing about. We were actually looking at our next family cruise, targeting the W. Carib in particular and specifically Roatan with plans to go off on our own. If we still choose to do so we will certainly be much more cautious and aware when planning and travel.

You appear to be looking at this the wrong way.

Ships pulling out, therefore removing tourist dollars, is a way to make sure these types are punished, caught, observed, and ultimately prevented from doing more harm, hopefully sending an economic message to the people that are supposed to be ensuring our safety. I applaud NCL for doing this, and hope others follow suit.

To just continue calling on that port sends the wrong message. Do they care? Who knows?

Edited by Pine Bluff

You appear to be looking at this the wrong way.

Ships pulling out, therefore removing tourist dollars, is a way to make sure these types are punished, caught, observed, and ultimately prevented from doing more harm, hopefully sending an economic message to the people that are supposed to be ensuring our safety. I applaud NCL for doing this, and hope others follow suit.

To just continue calling on that port sends the wrong message. Do they care? Who knows?

While I understand your views.

I believe persons need to take responsibility for their own actions as well. Roatan is an island off the coast of the third world country. One need be ware anything of value is a risk as is your person if you choose to flash said items. Electronics are like honey to bees in such places.

I am very sad for the victim and his family but I am also very sad for the hard working island people who have nothing but kindness and respect for the visitors to their paradise.

We fully intended to do the Roatan itinerary this summer, as we wanted a change of pace. After reviewing the travel warnings and reading of the attempted robbery of cruise passengers we changed our plans. It just isn't worth putting my family in a potential dicey situation.

Reading this definitely reinforces the fact I made the right choice.

Shame, and my condolences to the slain crew member and his family.

We just spent a week in Roatan at one of the diving resorts. Our hosts were very careful when we went outside the resort to only let us use taxi drivers that they knew. If you drive around the island you will see armed guards everywhere.....even at ATM's. That said, I do think the Mahogany Bay port is much safer than the one in Coxen Hole. Best advice is to stay with groups and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

I don't see the big deal.

Some of the worst crime cities in the US are major tourist destinations. As long as you are smart when you travel. Crime happens everywhere.

So does the State Department have travel advisories to Disney World. LOL

So does the State Department have travel advisories to Disney World. LOL

They do check all bags going into all the parks. They have HIGH security there, you just don't see it.

I would agree.... more crime here in the states. We are just used to it.

We just spent a week in Roatan at one of the diving resorts. Our hosts were very careful when we went outside the resort to only let us use taxi drivers that they knew. If you drive around the island you will see armed guards everywhere.....even at ATM's. That said, I do think the Mahogany Bay port is much safer than the one in Coxen Hole. Best advice is to stay with groups and be aware of your surroundings at all times.

Wife and I have actually docked at both piers in Roatan. Though it was a bit more of a security environment at Coxen Hole, we (and many others) did venture into the small community outside the pier with no issues.