RC Visa - companion fare question

So... in reading threads about using RC Visa points for a "free" cruise, I see that this does NOT combine with the C&A balcony discount (e.g., if you book a balcony using your C&A balcony discount, then apply points for a "free" cruise at the max OV rate for that sailing, they deduct that amount from the total cost of the balcony, not the discounted rate).

How does this work for the COMPANION fare offerings? Has anyone tried that? E.g., if I book a 3-or-4 night cruise for 2, using my diamond balcony discount, and then apply points for a FREE companion fare (max value $500) and the max OV rate for that sailing is $499... would that $499 be deducted from the undiscounted balcony cabin rate, or from the amount I would pay utilizing my dbd?

I suggest you call Crown and Anchor for clarification on this. I have enough points for a free 3/4 night cruise in an OV cabin. When I called Crown and Anchor to book the cruise and told them what I had planned to do the agent told me not to redeem 50,000 points for both fares because I would lose my D+ balcony discount. She said if I used 25,000 points for one free fare it would be applied to the fare without the balcony discount and I would be able to keep the balcony discount on the full fare person. So, basically I would be getting the full value of the one free fare $500. plus the value of my balcony discount which was $150 and only using 25,000 points instead of 50,000. I hope I am explaining this clearly. She also told me I could do the whole transaction thru Crown and Anchor directly and not thru the website. Now mind you, this is what I was told. Someone else could get a totally different answer.

And I agree, using them for OBC is only getting half the value you receive by using it for the free fare .

Edited by RosieRoo

I suggest you call Crown and Anchor for clarification on this. I have enough points for a free 3/4 night cruise in an OV cabin. When I called Crown and Anchor to book the cruise and told them what I had planned to do the agent told me not to redeem 50,000 points for both fares because I would lose my D+ balcony discount. She said if I used 25,000 points for one free fare it would be applied to the fare without the balcony discount and I would be able to keep the balcony discount on the full fare person. So, basically I would be getting the full value of the one free fare $500. plus the value of my balcony discount which was $150 and only using 25,000 points instead of 50,000. I hope I am explaining this clearly. She also told me I could do the whole transaction thru Crown and Anchor directly and not thru the website. Now mind you, this is what I was told. Someone else could get a totally different answer.

And I agree, using them for OBC is only getting half the value you receive by using it for the free fare .

It would be nice if they were consistent. Here are the terms stating the companion fare is NOT combinable with any other C and A benefit (which would be the balcony discount)

COMPANION FARES

Companion Fare Rewards are not valid on Christmas Sailings and New Year Sailings. Companion Fare Reward

Redemptions may not be combined with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Companion Fare

Rewards, Cruise Rewards, Upgrade Rewards or other promotional coupons and/or other Crown and Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage promotions and benefits. Companion Fares are also not combinable with restricted pricing including, but not limited to, RSale, CSale, Residential rates, senior rates, and military rates. The guest or travel agent may call Royal Caribbean International for details regarding combinability with Price Programs. Companion Fare Rewards are valid only for oceanview, Boardwalk® view or Central Park® view staterooms. Companion Fares are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their ‘Inaugural Season”.

• 2 months later...

I just booked EN Aug 18, 2014 using a companion fare. The RCI CSA told me I had to pay in full and the amount of the companion fare would be credited back to my cc closer to sailing date. Since I'm now only 35 days out, does anyone have an idea when they will do this?:confused:

I don't know for sure, but the redemption people process awards in the order of cruise date. Since your cruise is already past final, I'd expect that your cruise is high priority. My guess is you would get a credit in 5 to 10 business days. I'd call the redemption people if you don't see the credit after 10 business days.

If I redeem Visa points for a free cruise or a companion fare, I still get the C&A points for the cruise, correct?

I ask because I've seen where people were upgraded to a JS for free and didn't get double points, for example. I assume that doesn't apply to Visa points redemption.....

We'll be taking a 3 or 4 day next year (and may use Visa points for companion fare) to get us to Diamond by the time we go on our 11-day in November, so I need to make sure we get those 3 or 4 points!

If I redeem Visa points for a free cruise or a companion fare, I still get the C&A points for the cruise, correct?

I ask because I've seen where people were upgraded to a JS for free and didn't get double points, for example. I assume that doesn't apply to Visa points redemption.....

We'll be taking a 3 or 4 day next year (and may use Visa points for companion fare) to get us to Diamond by the time we go on our 11-day in November, so I need to make sure we get those 3 or 4 points!

As long as you pay some amount over the credit you get for the Visa points, you should get the C&A points.

Edited by clarea

They usually charge you $1 so you can get the points.

We are using points for a companion fare on our next cruise and we got the balcony discount on the first fare.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Good for you. I was told you could not get the balcony discount with a free companion fare

Edited by molly361

We are using points for a companion fare on our next cruise and we got the balcony discount on the first fare.

Please let us know if this changes. Someone made a mistake and it will probably be corrected before you sail.

I don't know for sure, but the redemption people process awards in the order of cruise date. Since your cruise is already past final, I'd expect that your cruise is high priority. My guess is you would get a credit in 5 to 10 business days. I'd call the redemption people if you don't see the credit after 10 business days.
Thanks, I do have my redemption confirmation email just not my credit on my visa card. I'll wait the 10 days and check.

Here are the terms for the companion fare. They are not supposed to be combinable with your balcony discount. Just curious, did you redeem them online?

COMPANION FARES

Companion Fare Rewards are not valid on Christmas Sailings and New Year Sailings. Companion Fare Reward

Redemptions may not be combined with Royal Caribbean, Celebrity Cruises or Azamara Companion Fare

Rewards, Cruise Rewards, Upgrade Rewards or other promotional coupons and/or other Crown and Anchor Society, Captain’s Club or Le Club Voyage promotions and benefits. Companion Fares are also not combinable with restricted pricing including, but not limited to, Going-Going-Gone Sale, Residential rates, senior rates, and military rates. The guest or travel agent may call Royal Caribbean International for details regarding combinability with Price Programs. Companion Fare Rewards are valid only for oceanview, Boardwalk® view or Central Park® view staterooms. Companion Fares are not applicable on new ships during their first 13 months in operation, also known as, their ‘Inaugural Season”.

Edit- Just noticed I had already posted the terms back in April!!! :)

Edited by molly361

I used the 75,000 point Companion fare (minimum oceanview stateroom)for a 5-7 night cruise this past May. We were booked in a balcony and I kept watching the oceanview prices on my particular cruise keep going higher and higher. Finally, when the oceanview was $1339 per person, I decided to pull the trigger and use my points.

I spoke with most knowledgeable and friendly rep at the rewards desk. Yes, they took away my $225 balcony discount, but applied the 75,000 points which were valued at the price of an oceanview ($1339.) So in my case, instead of getting $750 OBC, which is the equivalent of 75,000 points, I opted for $1339 off our cruise fare.....a far better deal in my opinion. I gladly gave up the balcony discount.

I just wanted to share an example of when using your points for OBC does not mean you are necessarily getting the best value for those points. If the price of an oceanview stateroom exceeds $950 ($750 for points and $200 for balcony discount) then you are better off using the Companion fare option.

I have a question about redeeming points: I'm saving up points and wanted to cash in at 75,000 for a companion fare. The site says "Companion Fare on a 5 to 7 night Royal Caribbean Caribbean sailing (minimum available oceanview stateroom). Value of companion fare may not exceed fifteen hundred dollars ($1,500 USD value)."

If I find a GS or OS for $1400, will they allow me to book it and use the points for my wife, or does it HAVE to be an oceanview cabin? (I want to pay $1400 and 75,000 points for the two of us.)

Edited by Videophile

I have a question about redeeming points: I'm saving up points and wanted to cash in at 75,000 for a companion fare. The site says "Companion Fare on a 5 to 7 night Royal Caribbean Caribbean sailing (minimum available oceanview stateroom). Value of companion fare may not exceed fifteen hundred dollars ($1,500 USD value)." If I find a balcony of GS or OS for $1400, will they allow me to book it and use the points for my wife, or does it HAVE to be an oceanview cabin?

You can book any stateroom category, OV or better. The credit will be based on the OV price at the time of redemption.

Edited by clarea

I believe companion fare redemptions are subject to the same restrictions as free cruise redemptions.

Bob,

I'm still pretty new to CC, but I've noticed you are very knowledgeable about many aspects of Royal Caribbean. Thanks for all your answers here on the boards.

My question for you and others: I have an RCI Visa. Do you know if one can redeem 50k points for the free two-person 3-4 day cruise award on one of the short Oasis-class cruises? For example, there is a 3-day FLL to Nassau Oasis OTS http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?state=NA&packageCode=OA03S049&hasFireandPolice=&hasMilitary=&hasSenior=&date=&cruiseType=CO and a 3-day Rome to Barcelona on Allure OTS currently on the schedule http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?state=NA&packageCode=AL3IP008&hasFireandPolice=&hasMilitary=&hasSenior=&date=&cruiseType=CO. Neither of these specific cruises work out for my husband and me, but something like this could work out for us in the future if it is offered again. If this is an option, I'd probably hold onto the points until this is feasible for us. Otherwise, I am considering using 50k points for a $500 OBC in Aug 2016 for a 7-day Seattle Alaska RT.

Thanks!

Bob,

I'm still pretty new to CC, but I've noticed you are very knowledgeable about many aspects of Royal Caribbean. Thanks for all your answers here on the boards.

My question for you and others: I have an RCI Visa. Do you know if one can redeem 50k points for the free two-person 3-4 day cruise award on one of the short Oasis-class cruises? For example, there is a 3-day FLL to Nassau Oasis OTS http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?state=NA&packageCode=OA03S049&hasFireandPolice=&hasMilitary=&hasSenior=&date=&cruiseType=CO and a 3-day Rome to Barcelona on Allure OTS currently on the schedule http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itinerary.do?state=NA&packageCode=AL3IP008&hasFireandPolice=&hasMilitary=&hasSenior=&date=&cruiseType=CO. Neither of these specific cruises work out for my husband and me, but something like this could work out for us in the future if it is offered again. If this is an option, I'd probably hold onto the points until this is feasible for us. Otherwise, I am considering using 50k points for a $500 OBC in Aug 2016 for a 7-day Seattle Alaska RT.

Thanks!

I don't know if you can redeem the 50K points for a short cruise on Oasis or Allure. However, you can call the redemptions people at 888-305-4626. Please let us know what they say.

Edited by clarea