Rome to Civitavecchia

ian09

I'm not seeing anything under my reservation for transfers being available for our cruise out of Civitavecchia. Does anyone have any experience in this department for the best way to get from Rome to Civitavecchia for our cruise. We are hoping to stay at a nice hotel prior to the cruise however we will likely use one of Celebrity's hotels (none are very great) after the cruise paired with a tour.

The best way is to hire a helicopter and arrange for champagne, caviar and truffles to be served in flight. Definitely the way to go, but it will be $$$$$$$.

A reasonably priced, sufficiently convenient (but non-luxurious) alternative is to use a service like Rome in Limo or Rome Cabs. If you can combine forces with another couple (i.e. via using the Roll Call boards here on Cruise Critic) it will save a little money over cruise line transfers (as well as be faster and more comfortable as you will be in a car versus a coach bus); if you can link up with two other couples the savings over cruise line transfers are substantial.

http://www.romeinlimo.com/

http://www.romecabs.com/

I'm not seeing anything under my reservation for transfers being available for our cruise out of Civitavecchia. Does anyone have any experience in this department for the best way to get from Rome to Civitavecchia for our cruise. We are hoping to stay at a nice hotel prior to the cruise however we will likely use one of Celebrity's hotels (none are very great) after the cruise paired with a tour.

Check the europe port forums for detailed informations.

We stayed at Rome for our cruise in 2013 and took the train to Civitavecchia (and met lots of other cruisers in the same train). Easy and inexpensive. However, from the trainstation to the place where they pick you up to get to the port you have to walk a bit. Depends on your luggage :-)

You might also want to check Tom's port guide for Rome/Civitavecchia!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We are flying into FCO a day early. We decided to stay a mile from the Civitaveccia port. San Giorgio I think. They have transport to port as well on Sat. the day we leave.

We have asked for transfer from airport to port, but hoping they will take us to hotel.

I have also heard Rome Cabs are reliable. It is about an hour from airport to cruise terminal.

We are sailing from Rome on Reflection in May, with 3 days in Rome pre cruise. We are using Rome Cabs for all our transfers, have used them before and they are excellent. As far as I know, you can't get transfers to the ship from Rome, you would have to go back to the airport and buy transfers from there. I think Celebrity charges about $90 pp for transfers from the port to the airport and vice versa, that's about the cost for a private car service which is so much easier, faster (no waiting around) and more luxurious.

PS -- To see the info on Celebrity transfers, login to the website and go to Manage my Reservation. Transfers is one of the choices at the top, near Shore Excursions and Specialty Restaurants.

Edited by cynbar

For a lovely hotel try the Rome Cavalieri. You can prearrange a private car service to the port.

We were on Princess and used their shuttle service to Civitavecchia, however we used Rome shuttle limousine for our airport to hotel transportation. They do offer flat rate service to Civitavecchia from Rome. You pay the driver directly. Our driver was professional, arrived on time, and we would use this.company again in the future.

We took the train from Rome to Civi. Very afforable and comfortable. The station at Civi is about a 5 minute walk to the port, and you need to down down a flight of stairs, so luggage can be an issue. We had four people and it was quite doable. Would definitely do it again.

BTW, we did use Rome Cabs for transportation from the airport to Rome and from Civi back to the airport. They were excellent.

mac_tlc

Are your flights with Celebrity? If so, you would get 2 vouchers to print off with your other docs after final payment, which are used for the return journey.

This doesn't show anywhere on line that I am aware of, but Celebrity arranged flights include transfers to and from your port.

Lou

Edited by Lovemychoos

We caught the train last year and found it very good with an easy walk (apart from the previously mentioned steps) from the station to the port entrance and bus to the berth. Just be a little careful at Termini station as there are a lot of dodgy characters hanging around looking to separate an easy mark from their valuables.

We had friends in the same hotel who had limo transfers organised and we actually arrived quite a while before them as they were caught in heavy traffic on the road out of Rome. I think it was some sort of public holiday though.

Are your flights with Celebrity? If so, you would get 2 vouchers to print off with your other docs after final payment, which are used for the return journey.

This doesn't show anywhere on line that I am aware of, but Celebrity arranged flights include transfers to and from your port.Lou

Are you saying if you use choice air transfers are included.

Two times we have hooked up with other people on a the boards for our cruises and used RomeCabs to pick us up at our various hotels, give us a 4 or 5 hour tour through the countryside, visited a nice restaurant for a family style lunch, and arrived at the ship by about 2:00pm. Great days, great memories, and less total cost than if we had just taken ships transfers. We figure our vacation begins when we leave our house, so we make the most of it.

Are you saying if you use choice air transfers are included.

Don't know if it's classed as choice air from the UK, but whenever we have booked a celebrity cruise, including their flights, our transfers have been included.

Lou