Captain's table

shanni-shanni

I know it wasn't the same menu as the MDR that night & only saying what we were told.

On our second visit to the Captain's Table the first course was antipasti and focaccia, which were definitely from Tuscan Grill. The rest of the choices were a combination of a couple of choices from the specialties plus a scaled down version of the MDR menu.

It appears that every experience seems to be a bit different. I've been to many tables, including many with the Captain on every S Class ship, Century and 2 M Class ships and have always had food from the MDR menu that was prepared in the MDR galley. Perhaps I'll experience some treats from Murano and/or Tuscan in the future.

I can assure you that is not the case. The menu is presented with the name of the guest, but the items are from the regular menu.

Advertising?:confused:

All of our menu experiences have been special entree's. Nice thick filet, when none was on the MDR menu. :) Choosing between the beef, chicken dish or fish. The later two may have been on the main menu, though.

I think the reason for having the dinner in the MDR, is because the guest like to see the Captain and the production. ;)

All of our menu experiences have been special entree's. Nice thick filet, when none was on the MDR menu. :) Choosing between the beef, chicken dish or fish. The later two may have been on the main menu, though.

I think the reason for having the dinner in the MDR, is because the guest like to see the Captain and the production. ;)

The filet I've had was the Tornados, which has been on the MDR menu on the first formal night. When I've been to a table the 2nd formal night I've had Beef Wellington which is also on the MDR menu that evening. I never thought to keep a copy of the menu, but perhaps someone has and could share it.

Off MDR menu items, new to us. Always been the MDR menu for us. Used to get stuck with the cherry's jubilee, but that changed three(?) years ago. Last number of times got to choose from the regular desserts. Always something new.

We have been invited a few times now to the Captains Table and am still unsure how it works. First time we were on our second cruise and in an inside cabin, one time it was my 50th birthday and the others we were in Balcony stateroom but definitely not the top category and we hadn't been talking to any of the officers etc. Still a mystery but definitely a really nice evening and it is a nice touch getting the rose at the end of the evening.

Here are the menus from 2 Captain's table visits last month.

Thanks Joanie. I believe that all items are from the regular MDR menu. I don't doubt what others are saying, but these menus reflect my experience.

Hi Charles,

I do think quite a few of the items are from Murano. I know the Loup de Mer, Wild Forrest Capuccino, Macadamia Sea Scallops, Baked Pear with Roquefort, Spinach and Frisee Salad, Smoked Salmon and Peekytoe Crab Parfait are all served there.

The desserts were also unique and specially prepared. I know they used to always just use the Main Dining Room menu, but this was something new. I think a combination of both restaurants.

We made a visit this past December and then again in April. Both times we had the special menu "Inspired by Murano".

Looked just like the menus posted by Ma Bell, except items were different:

Appetizers

--Escargots A Al Bourguignonne

--Pan Fried Macadamia Nut Crusted Sea Scallops

--Phyllo Baked Anjou Pear with Roquefort Cheese

Soups and Salads

--Wild Forest Mushroom Cappuccino

--Tomato Watermelon Salad

--Young Spinach and Frisee Salad

Entree --Loup de Mer

--Seared Duck

--Beef Tournedo

Dessert -- Pastry Chef's Special Selection

White Wine: Chablis Premier Cru (Joseph Drouhin-Burgundy)

Red Wine: Chateanuef Du Pape (Chateau Mont Redon, Rhone Valley)

Enjoy!

Kel:)

We’ve been on 3 X Cruises, all in Penthouses. Never got an invite to Captain’s Club.

I suspect it’s because we have 2 kids. But we either have my Mom, OR a nanny traveling with us so kids are with them at night. I guess no way the Captain’s social club would know that.

Whatever. If I were Captain I’d want a harem instead of having dinner with strangers each night.

I bet he would too.

Mmmmm. Maybe we should have accepted and let the kids fend for themselves! Would have ordered the escargot, scallops (forget about the salad) and would have been happy with either entree! Def love chateauneuf du pape, although, usually gets my hands all dirty, its worth it!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We’ve been on 3 X Cruises, all in Penthouses. Never got an invite to Captain’s Club.

I suspect it’s because we have 2 kids. But we either have my Mom, OR a nanny traveling with us so kids are with them at night. I guess no way the Captain’s social club would know that.

Whatever. If I were Captain I’d want a harem instead of having dinner with strangers each night.

I bet he would too.

On our last cruise [in a PH], we were invited but not the other PH. The difference? There were 5 people [a family with 3 adult children] in the other PH, 2 in ours. We suspected that the numbers were the reason.

I suspect mainly "traditional couples" get invited to dinner with the Captain. We did back to back on Constellation (5 night and 4 night). Both sailings in PH. 2 women in early 60's and my nephew in early 30's. We did not get invited to dine with the captain on either sailing, however, both sailings the "other PH" got invited (husband/wife combo).

Same was true for our Bermuda sailing in PH - 2 single women - no invite.

Other cruises - staying in both PH and RS - 2 single women early 60's - we did get an invitation.

My feeling is, for the most part, they tend to stay away from 2 women traveling together and parties of 3.

Edited by jcpc

I suspect mainly "traditional couples" get invited to dinner with the Captain. We did back to back on Constellation (5 night and 4 night). Both sailings in PH. 2 women in early 60's and my nephew in early 30's. We did not get invited to dine with the captain on either sailing, however, both sailings the "other PH" got invited (husband/wife combo).

Same was true for our Bermuda sailing in PH - 2 single women - no invite.

Other cruises - staying in both PH and RS - 2 single women early 60's - we did get an invitation.

My feeling is, for the most part, they tend to stay away from 2 women traveling together and parties of 3.

Not true at all.

Not true at all.

Not quite sure how you can say "not true at all" unless YOU personally are the person doing the inviting.

I'm just relaying my experiences and my opinion based on my actual experiences.

Sure - I've seen single women at the table.

Sure - I've seen gay couples at the table.

Sure - I've been at the table many times.

My gut feeling is, though, most of the time, depending on who is doing the inviting and who is hosting the table, they tend to invite "husband/wife" combos.

I'm basing mine on actual experiences as well. Of course there would be more traditional couples because there are a lot more of them on the ship. It has never made any difference if I'm traveling with my husband or a female friend or relative. I've also seen lot's of same sex traveling companions together at the table.

Edited by Ma Bell

I am in the minority....I always sail solo...sometimes a balcony,

sometimes a window, ocassionally an inside. I have been invited

several times over the years. I am never in a suite and never have

a partner. So, I guess those 2 items don't always matter.

Edited by Lois R

We have often wondered if the hosts are open to "gifts" in order to smooth the way to the table.

We have heard reports of frequent cruisers and senior suite members skipped but others have repeat appearances to the table on the same cruise. Just seems to be inconsistent in the way attendees are picked.

Edited by Mr & Mrs X

We have been invited 3 times to dine at the captains table, twice accepting and once respectfully declining. We've never asked to be invited, never had to give a "gift" to anyone, and never had to "suck up to anyone". I assume it had to do with being in a suite more than anything. Both times were very nice. The first time (2012) we had food from the standard mdr menu. This last time ( Apr 2014 ) it was a modified menu with different items than the mdr and our names printed on them.

One last note. Both times that we have eaten at the Captains table, once 8 passengers and once 10, I was the ONLY person at the table with a tux on. I've always enjoyed the formal nights and always take my tux, but sadly, it was probably the last cruise that I will take it. A sport coat and a tie seem to be formal enough for the captain so that's good enough for me.

We have been invited three times and only accepted twice.

June 2013- 1A hump cabin- invited and accepted invitation. Had an ok time. Dinner was same as MDR menu. Desserts were an assortment

January 2014-Celebrity Suite- invited twice, accepted once.

* We were invited for the first formal dinner but declined since the NFL playoffs were on TV and DH wanted to dine in our cabin and watch the games on the 50 inch TV...like at home. We respectfully declined. The CC host teased us every day about the reason for our declination. we had a lot of fun with it.

* to our surprise, we were invited to dine at the captains table the second formal night which we accepted. Once we accepted we discovered I left DH's ties and shirts at home...oops! luckily we were able to purchase a standard white shirt in the gift shop and our new friends from cc (tobyknits) and her husband let us borrow a tie.:o The staff captain was a riot. his wife dined with us as well. she made the table so much fun! Much more fun than the first time. dinner was a modified menu. we had special menu's with our names on it.

oddly enough, i was seated right next to the captain/staff captain both times. the first time directly to the right and second time directly to the left.

First time not sure how chosen. Second time the CC host took a liking to my husband and I...we had a lot of fun with him so maybe that is why.

Good luck to those wanting to attend a dinner at captains table. :)

Edited by H2OH!

We have been invited three times and only accepted twice.

June 2013- 1A hump cabin- invited and accepted invitation. Had an ok time. Dinner was same as MDR menu. Desserts were an assortment

January 2014-Celebrity Suite- invited twice, accepted once.

* We were invited for the first formal dinner but declined since the NFL playoffs were on TV and DH wanted to dine in our cabin and watch the games on the 50 inch TV...like at home. We respectfully declined. The CC host teased us every day about the reason for our declination. we had a lot of fun with it.

* to our surprise, we were invited to dine at the captains table the second formal night which we accepted. Once we accepted we discovered I left DH's ties and shirts at home...oops! luckily we were able to purchase a standard white shirt in the gift shop and our new friends from cc (tobyknits) and her husband let us borrow a tie.:o The staff captain was a riot. his wife dined with us as well. she made the table so much fun! Much more fun than the first time. dinner was a modified menu. we had special menu's with our names on it.

oddly enough, i was seated right next to the captain/staff captain both times. the first time directly to the right and second time directly to the left.

First time not sure how chosen. Second time the CC host took a liking to my husband and I...we had a lot of fun with him so maybe that is why.

Good luck to those wanting to attend a dinner at captains table. :)

Suites, Elites and Babes -- your must be the latter? :)