New ship in 2016 - Koningsdam

ETinCA

Groot (or Grand) Statendam would be a pretty terrible name IMO, unless the current Statendam is indeed gone from the fleet when the Pinnacle Class ship starts accepting passengers.
I wonder whether Seattle regrets simultaneously having ships called Amsterdam and Nieuw Amsterdam? I'll bet it's caused confusion more than once.

I wonder whether Seattle regrets simultaneously having ships called Amsterdam and Nieuw Amsterdam? I'll bet it's caused confusion more than once.

I think it has to, to the average American never-before-cruised customer.

The fact LOTS of cruisers can't even tell you the ship name they're on ... eek!

I would not expect anything too grand or innovative based on the projected financing requirements of CCL ships:

2016 - Carnival Vista $520

2016 - HAL (new build a) $408

2014 - Regal Princess $547

2015 - Britannia $563

Edited by Sam.Seattle

I would not expect anything too grand or innovative based on the projected financing requirements of CCL ships:

2015 - Britannia $563

You're probably right; BUT I can do without some of the "toys" -I CAN'T do without the wonderful crews!!!!!!! :)

2015 - Britannia $563

May I ask what the source of your figures are? The press release from Carnival Corp concerning the order for the Carnival Vista and the HAL new build was quoted as $1.3 billion. The figures above "only" add up to $928 million.

May I ask what the source of your figures are? The press release from Carnival Corp concerning the order for the Carnival Vista and the HAL new build was quoted as $1.3 billion. The figures above "only" add up to $928 million.

Page 20 - 2013 Annual Report for CCL. I did not show all the builds quoted.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

Amsterdam is the capital of The Netherlands.

Nieuw Amsterdam is the city of New York.

They are an ocean apart :-)

...Eurodam is the only really "made up" name they have used recently.

That is why Nederdam is such a great name for the new ship. Neder being the first part of Nederland (The Netherlands in Dutch)...

Page 20 - 2013 Annual Report for CCL. I did not show all the builds quoted.

Thanks for the information. Somewhat surprised by the low amount which IIRC is less than the Vista class.

Unless that is the figure still to pay as the next page states they have already paid $0.5 billion towards the costs of their current 8 new builds?

It is pleasing to hear that HAL is getting a new ship. The Maasdam and Veendam should be retired ASAP as it it not their appearance or staff that is the problem it is the SHIPS internal mechanical systems.............particularly the plumbing and air handling.

We have been on Maasdam 3 times and are 3 star on HAL..............would not go on Maasdam again because it was in desperate need of a gutting and redo 3 yrs ago..........thermostat is decorative only and toilet may or may not work. New "Lanai" cabins" ..........a real joke..............right above the kitchen prep area on the starboard side which was what we had on our first cruise before the changes.................wait until 4AM when the bakery chef drops a pot..............................................

Our Canadian friends were on a 14 day Veendam trip from Quebec city and return....................they said they would never go on that class of HAL ship again basically for the same reasons as above.

Although food and entertainment are subjective................the condition of the mechanical equipment of a ship is not.............sorry to say these girls have had their day and anyone risking a long cruise on one of them should rethink their choices.....particularly from some of the recent posts that say that now even the food had nosedived significantly. On one of our cruises on the Maasdam we met more seasoned cruisers that cited "Carnivalization" of this venerable line of ships..................Carnival should be ashamed of themselves...............but probably not. Selling our Carnival stock tomorrow

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

When I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam last October, the HD told a small group of us the following about new build

1) It will be a Pinnacle Class

2) Another Pinnacle Class sister-ship would be built a few years after 2016 build.

3) The ships will not resemble any of the other HAL ships

4) They will be larger, not taller but wider.

5) Name not yet decided, but a "vote" is somehow involved.

When I was on the Nieuw Amsterdam last October, the HD told a small group of us the following about new build

1) It will be a Pinnacle Class

2) Another Pinnacle Class sister-ship would be built a few years after 2016 build.

3) The ships will not resemble any of the other HAL ships

Whether or not HD has any particular "insight", just reporting what he told us.

Other reports have said it will be one deck higher, and the name is being chosen by a contest among HAL employees. Maybe the finalists among name submissions will be chosen by vote among them.

Why do we have to make up a new name at all?

Why not just pick of the several names that have not yet used and pick one that gets the most popular. Like STELLENDAM.

Years ago the old Celbrity Cruises.... or Chandris has a series of beautiful names, BRITANIS, ELENIS, AMERIKANIS, AUSTRALIS. Now they use CELEBITY SOLSTICE, etc etc. Ships are best named when they are given a good name.... just something made up to make marketing people to do something with 'corporate'.

NEDERDAM sounds fine... but what happens then... AMERIDAM, CANADAM or BERMUDAM or JAMAICDAM, MEXIDAM?

or GREAT STATENDAM..... and then every ship gets renamed GREAT ROTTERDAM, GREAT PRINSENDAM or GREAT NIEUW AMSTERDAM? She what happens.... it gets a real mess in the end.

No more names I'd rather some of the DIJK (DYK) names.... like

KINDERDYK, DIEMERDYK, DINTELDYK, All beautiful HAL names.

Stephen

Other reports have said it will be one deck higher, and the name is being chosen by a contest among HAL employees. Maybe the finalists among name submissions will be chosen by vote among them.

I heard about the employee naming contest on my westy cruise i just got off off. Also heard at the vip party that there is going to be a level where most of the restaurants will reside. Not sure how true that is but it did come from a hal employee.

So far I cannot find any info on this ship which is currently under construction. If she is to enter service in Feb 2016 you would think some info would be available.

As for a name....I would like to see EAADAM. It is a name used years ago by HAL and was never used a second time. Of course the name Pinnacle could be used but that would not follow the DAM theme. Maybe Jumbodam since HAL is going big...so much for their medium sized ships.:rolleyes:

Maybe Jumbodam since HAL is going big...so much for their medium sized ships.:rolleyes:

Compared to the current HAL fleet, yes, but if you look at the Ginourmous Behemoths many other lines are bringing out, the new Pinnacle Class ship likely will be "mid-sized" in the grand scheme of things. R & S class ships will fit into the "Small Ship" sector and today's Small ships will be comparable to some "Mega-Yachts" in private ownership if you follow some of those being built.

I in no way think this a GOOD thing, but market forces (or is it marketING forces) are driving the "Bigger is Better" mantra.

Edited by K&RCurt

So far I cannot find any info on this ship which is currently under construction. If she is to enter service in Feb 2016 you would think some info would be available.

As for a name....I would like to see EAADAM. It is a name used years ago by HAL and was never used a second time. Of course the name Pinnacle could be used but that would not follow the DAM theme. Maybe Jumbodam since HAL is going big...so much for their medium sized ships.:rolleyes:

Let's not forget that HAL is well aware that the name of the ship must appeal to the cruising public. It must be marketable.